RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

My 2016 Lexus RX350 seems tilted

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 04:06 PM
myqueeneil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2016 Lexus RX350 seems tilted

Hello everyone!
After doing some measurements I found that the right side of my
car is 8mm higher than the left side.
Is this normal or is there a problem with the suspension?
If anyone can help me figure this out, that will be great!
Old 05-04-16, 07:26 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I think they sometimes put blocks in the springs during shipment so they don't bounce around on the cargo ship/trucks. You can possibly aim a flashlight at the springs and see if they left the blocks in...
Old 05-04-16, 07:41 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you sound like me with this leaning stuff! Ask my girlfriend-I drive her crazy. Luckily mine is dead-on.
I don't know what Lexus' exact standards are, but I do know that car makers have "build tolerances" IOW a tiny bit of slack with fitment. It could even be the body itself being off 8mm.
On mine I noticed the tailpipes (the actual functional ones behind those chrome diffusers) were not perfectly hanging evenly. I just got under there and spotted a slightly bent the tailpipe hanger on the passenger side, and bent it back to meet the other side perfectly. Job done, no harm. Could've happened on the boat or train when they chain these vehicles down for the trip. For yours, it's more complicated and you need your service department to address it. You do not have to settle for that.
Old 05-04-16, 11:09 PM
myqueeneil
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, I already made an appointment with my local dealer so hopefully I can get this problem solved soon.
Old 05-05-16, 12:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

For a minute there I thought I was in the GX forum. Your doing what your supposed to OP, let the dealer figure it out. There might be transport bump stomp not taken out, but I dont know if Lexus uses them for Canadian produced RXs. Usually there is a tolerance spec that Lexus follows, but since this is the first I have heard about this issue, dealer, then proceed.
Old 05-05-16, 07:24 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by myqueeneil
Hello everyone!
After doing some measurements I found that the right side of my
car is 8mm higher than the left side.
Is this normal or is there a problem with the suspension?
If anyone can help me figure this out, that will be great!
Can I ask why you decided to measure in the first place?…
Old 05-05-16, 06:51 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macdee
Can I ask why you decided to measure in the first place?…
Because their eye saw something was off.
Old 05-06-16, 06:50 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

8mm = .31 inches. So you can look at your car and see that one side is .31 inches higher than the other side?
Old 05-06-16, 08:42 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
8mm = .31 inches. So you can look at your car and see that one side is .31 inches higher than the other side?
I know I could! All you need is a couple reference points. My bionic angle eye forced an auto body shop in San Francisco to buy a frame alignment rack because he kept handing me back what he thought was a done car and I kept bringing it back.
He hollered at me about it too, to which I replied "you need one here anyways right? What the heck good is a body repair shop without a frame aligner?"
And it turned up a flaw in my front sub-frame and cross-member under the motor
Old 05-06-16, 04:27 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

I seem to recall a similar discussion for the ISx50 a few years back. My 06 IS350 was also 'higher' on the right side...the discussion was based on the Japanese engineering and the fact that in Japan the driver is on the right side....to compensate for the weight of the driver, the right side was higher..and would level out once the driver was in the seat...

No idea if that is true...or even makes sense, or makes perfect sense...after all when do you like the driving experience most...driving alone...testing the cornering and handling without kids or spouse...

Have an average adult sit in the RF seat and measure again.

It does seem odd though that if this is all true that for the left hand drive models they wouldn't reverse the engineering...or maybe they did and it makes more 'technical sense' to have the non driver side higher..
Old 05-06-16, 07:57 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
I seem to recall a similar discussion for the ISx50 a few years back. My 06 IS350 was also 'higher' on the right side...the discussion was based on the Japanese engineering and the fact that in Japan the driver is on the right side....to compensate for the weight of the driver, the right side was higher..and would level out once the driver was in the seat...

No idea if that is true...or even makes sense, or makes perfect sense...after all when do you like the driving experience most...driving alone...testing the cornering and handling without kids or spouse...

Have an average adult sit in the RF seat and measure again.

It does seem odd though that if this is all true that for the left hand drive models they wouldn't reverse the engineering...or maybe they did and it makes more 'technical sense' to have the non driver side higher..
Same exact theory was applied to the infamous "Taco-Lean" name given to the Tacoma truck over in Tacoma World.
Old 05-07-16, 08:34 PM
myqueeneil
Driver School Candidate

I went to my local Lexus dealership to get my
car's alignment checked. However, I found out that they are receiving the alignment specs
from Lexus two weeks from now. I baffles me that this data hasn't been uploaded even though
this model been out for half a year now. I will be going back to the dealership when they have the data
so I can get a detailed answer wether my car's alignments is up to specs.
I think if you guys measure the sides of your 2016 RX350s it will be similar to mine.
At the dealership they compared my RX350 to 3 others they had and the tilt was pretty much the same.
From that they concluded the situation as normal and when I asked the reasons of the tilt they don't know the reason. So I am still very wary of the situation, but I will give you guys an update when I get my car checked out again two weeks from now.