RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Full screen panoramic camera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 12:08 PM
fular
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The video might be using computer generated graphics
I donot think it is possible to make it full screen without the side display

I wrote to Lexus asking them to change this in their next software release

I suggest others do the same
Old 06-09-16, 12:49 PM
Someone876
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
fular - I'm beginning to believe that it's not possible to view the backup camera images in "Full Screen". Maybe one can with the 8" display but apparently not with the 12.3" display. For those of us who have the 12.3" display we get the "Main Display" and the "Side Display" (with the 5 shortcut icons on the far right side). So, in effect, the folks with 12.3" displays view an 8" backup image on the left side of the screen plus the "Side Display" on the right side of the screen. If anyone knows how to dismiss the "Side Display", then we would have a "Full Screen" backup image. However, in the Navigation manual it states that "Full Screen" is available only for the initial Lexus splash screen, the Menu screen and the Map screen (if I understand that correctly).

I viewed the video that you cited which does clearly show the backup image in "Full Screen". Perhaps the "Side Display" feature was added after the video was made.
Yea it's confirmed that it was just in the prototype or whatever. There is no way currently to view the backup camera in full screen.
Old 06-09-16, 12:51 PM
Someone876
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fular
The video might be using computer generated graphics
I donot think it is possible to make it full screen without the side display

I wrote to Lexus asking them to change this in their next software release

I suggest others do the same
Yes I chatted with them online and they noted it as a customer complaint for me. I went to the dealership today to get my screen fixed and I asked them today and they said there is no way to do it now and they can perhaps do it in next software update hopefully. The dealership told me they will look into it to see if there is any way to bypass the side screen to get the full screen when reversing. I just really really hope that it's not something they release in 2017 or later model of RX. I hope it's something that's done via software update. Fingers crossed! i really can't wait for it! In the video, it looks awesome!
Old 06-10-16, 09:36 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that isn't how technology works. The camera lens is only meant to record and display images/video at a specific resolution. If you were to get a full-screen image from the backup camera through software then it would only be stretching the image and there would be no benefit as it would just be a deformed image and you would not get any extra viewing angles.

The only way it would be possible is if the camera was fitted with a new wide angle lens to capture a wider image. What you guys are looking for is impossible without new hardware.
Old 06-10-16, 10:25 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The resolution on the backup camera is marginal. I would like full screen, but even more than that i want to see more detail in the image. Toyota needs to go with higher res cameras. Also, my previous Audi would reduce radio volume to a very low volume (adjustable) when the car was put in reverse. I wish Lexus would adopt that feature as well.
Old 06-10-16, 10:50 AM
Someone876
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by frubalup
I'm pretty sure that isn't how technology works. The camera lens is only meant to record and display images/video at a specific resolution. If you were to get a full-screen image from the backup camera through software then it would only be stretching the image and there would be no benefit as it would just be a deformed image and you would not get any extra viewing angles.

The only way it would be possible is if the camera was fitted with a new wide angle lens to capture a wider image. What you guys are looking for is impossible without new hardware.
That's what I'm scared of. That's so unfair! i'll be heartbroken if they do a hardware update and release that in 2017 or later model of RX
Old 06-10-16, 03:41 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you were to go full screen on the back up camera the image would be cut off on the sides or distorted due to zooming/stretching.

No different than watching a zoomed in version of a letter boxed film on a tv today.
Just look at how the nav changes when you go to full screen vs the same window the backup camera takes.

now you may ask why not have a 21:9 camera so that the full 12" looks correct?
Well then Lexus/Toyota would have to stock two different cameras for those with the 8" screen.
I'm pretty sure this same camera is used in many different models across the company.

Last edited by bootman; 06-10-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 01:35 PM
3ptsplash
Driver School Candidate

Default Panoramic Front View Display

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows how to switch the Panoramic Front View Display from 3 sections to 2 eliminating the side view display on the right.
Like this and turning it into this....
Appreciate your help!

Ps. forgot to mention I've seen it in the model I test drove so that's how I knew this was possible.

Last edited by 3ptsplash; 03-18-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 03:06 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure? If you find out let me know. I didn't think it was possible.
Old 03-18-17, 05:23 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ptsplash
Ps. forgot to mention I've seen it in the model I test drove so that's how I knew this was possible.
I don't think so. Right side screen options are Map, Compass, Music input source, MPG info and Climate Control
Old 03-18-17, 07:16 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think you maybe saw it in the smaller 8" screen and not the larger 12.3" screen. they both look the same but the screen size is smaller?
Old 03-19-17, 02:35 AM
3ptsplash
Driver School Candidate

Yes I'm sure and it was 12.3 screen, in an F Sport 3 package in Canada
Old 03-19-17, 04:59 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ptsplash
Yes I'm sure and it was 12.3 screen, in an F Sport 3 package in Canada
Lol. Everyone is doubting you because it's something WE wanted forever. Just like the reverse taking up the full 12.3 inch screen isn't possible.
Old 03-19-17, 07:37 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The only thing you can get on there right side is as mentioned, and the parking assist comes on there as well when you get close to something or someone. I have the F sport 3 and will try again to see if you can get it to two screen display.
Old 03-19-17, 09:53 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The "Side Display" as Lexus calls it, has Nav, Audio,Phone, Vehicle info and Climate. There is an "interruption screen" that will display Parking assist and Phone. There is no way to put display settings on the Side Display screen, such as a picture of the car from overhead.

This is explained in the Navigation manual on page 376 > We're talking about the 12.3 screen.

As 3ptsplash asked, I to thought I had seen this before. Also when you go into settings I thought I saw the options spread across the screen, not in two pages. Maybe I saw this before pre-delivery and they update the software before delivery. Or maybe I was smoking something?

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Full screen panoramic camera?