RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Is my dealer telling the truth about ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 03:19 PM
enzia35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my dealer telling the truth about ordering?

New guy here. I stopped by the local dealer and wanted to place an order for a 2016 RX350, with only the premium package. He later called me saying that Lexus organizes their orders into two groups, regular orders and special orders. He then said that if Lexus were to build it, as they could deny building it, then the dealer would have to charge full MSRP for it.

I'm slightly wary about what the sales guy told me, as I just ordered a Camaro and I could order it whatever way I wanted, no questions asked, and I got it for invoice pricing.

So, is my dealer telling the truth? I find it hard to believe that a luxury brand like Lexus wouldn't bend over backwards to special build a car for a customer, when Chevy was willing to do so.
Old 05-02-16, 05:24 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by enzia35
New guy here. I stopped by the local dealer and wanted to place an order for a 2016 RX350, with only the premium package. He later called me saying that Lexus organizes their orders into two groups, regular orders and special orders. He then said that if Lexus were to build it, as they could deny building it, then the dealer would have to charge full MSRP for it.

I'm slightly wary about what the sales guy told me, as I just ordered a Camaro and I could order it whatever way I wanted, no questions asked, and I got it for invoice pricing.

So, is my dealer telling the truth? I find it hard to believe that a luxury brand like Lexus wouldn't bend over backwards to special build a car for a customer, when Chevy was willing to do so.
I've had similar experiences with my Lexus dealer. They would rather you take something from inventory. We have four dealers here, so I just said thanks I'll try somewhere else. That did the trick.
Old 05-02-16, 05:30 PM
jrzjohn
Driver School Candidate

Not sure what "if Lexus were to build it, as they could deny building it, then the dealer would have to charge full MSRP for it." means. When I didn't want all they options they had on their lot they found what I wanted in another state> Also when I asked about having one built I was told 5-6 months wait.
Old 05-02-16, 06:14 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Pick your preferred options and packages and the dealer can
fill in the online build form. It will confirm or deny all the restrictions
involved (no "20 tires on "18 rims...) Placing the order involves
the dealer substituting yours for one they are already allotted to
sell. Generally takes 16 weeks. The order bank is very specific
regarding build combinations so dealers can quickly trade for color,
your odd man out combo would be near impossible to trade or
sell in the usual timeframe. This makes it riskier for the dealer as
they might get stuck if you back out. Bottom line, you can order
anything you are will to wait for and then agree to take delivery of.
Old 05-02-16, 06:45 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
This makes it riskier for the dealer as
they might get stuck if you back out. Bottom line, you can order
anything you are will to wait for and then agree to take delivery of.
I agree. Isn't usually a deposit involved? Non refundable? My dad had bought a Lexus that someone backed out and paid dirt cheap for it...it was obvious custom order
Old 05-02-16, 07:29 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

enzia35 they are blowing smoke.

I got my 2013 RX as a fully custom special order. The dealer required no deposit of any kind and was happy to negotiate a discounted price when it arrived. I paid a bit over invoice but still got a good deal.

I did have another dealer give me the "nonrefundable deposit" line. That was enough for me to go to another dealer in the area. When I asked them about it the manager told me he sells enough RXs that mine wouldn't be sitting for more than 30 days if I changed my mind and he'd rather have a happy customer than not.

Result was I not only bought my RX from them but went back this past weekend and bought another Lexus from them (a 2016 CT for my daughter).

Let your money talk by taking your business to a dealer who will work to make you a happy customer. It's good business for them and much better satisfaction for you.
Old 05-02-16, 08:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by enzia35

He is telling the truth but lying at the same time. See a special order car can ordered by anyone, walk into a dealer, they take the specs and either locate it at port/factory to get the car, change existing allocation, or wait to change an upcoming allocation block. Lexus will only deny the order if its having some issues on its end.

The issue with special orders is that the general manager knows what vehicles sell easy, and whih dont. Easy vehicle equal more profit. Now a special order can be ordered, and its unique as hell not many buyers for that combo, but for some reason the buyer backs out. The dealership now is tasked to sell this unwanted model usually at a discount. Lost allocation and lost $$ on the table.

With higher end RXs dealership are not going to care, but if your order seems like a combo that doesnt move in their market, hence theyre making up an excuse. My advice is ordering a bare combo vehicle is a bad choice Your probably save more by buying off the lot (some have gotten upwards of 11% on some mid grade models).

Evaluate, email and figure out if anyone else has what your looking on. Dealers have some vehicles that are sitting for way too long and itching to make deals which will save you more $$$ then special ordering.
Old 05-02-16, 08:29 PM
enzia35
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, that's what I figured...I thought it was wonky that Chevy was willing to do a custom order but these guys couldn't. It's unfortunate because they're the only Lexus dealer in the Lubbock area.
Old 05-03-16, 05:33 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many dealerships are clueless.

Lexus ordering system is one specific day a month. It's relatively easy to change an existing order already in the system. It's difficult to get more than 3% off MSRP, because you're a motivated buyer. No way should you pay full price.

Why shouldn't the dealer require a reasonable non-refundable deposit for a special order? $1,000 is usually OK.

Delivery time should be approximately eight weeks after the order is fully processed and accepted into the Lexus system - if it's a Canada build. Add another month for a Japan build.

Last edited by jdshaw; 05-03-16 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 06:10 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer in Houston did not have the '16 Rxh I was looking for and couldn't find one anywhere around the several state area. I was very specific in terms of interior and exterior color and I wanted almost every option except rear seat entertainment and F-Sport. My guy is a "Sales Manager" and I've purchased several vehicles from them so I don't have to deal with the normal sales guys (not that they're bad, but they always have to go get approval from a manager for a deal ). So when he couldn't find the vehicle I wanted he said he would "preference" mine with exactly what I wanted. This was in December 2015 and he warned me it would likely be in the March to April timeframe. My vehicle arrived at the dealership on 21-Apr-2016. So you do have to be patient!

They required no deposit. When he told me the MSRP for my vehicle he asked, "what would it take for you to say yes?" I gave him a number and he said OK. I didn't even have to sign the piece of paper with that number written on it. So, all in all, a very pleasant experience!
Old 05-03-16, 08:37 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sticker for a special order? I mean, OK, I understand that the new car guys use current incentives with pricing but I wouldn't expect us to charge sticker for a special order.

When we place a special order with Lexus it has to be in by around the 16th or so of the month, we usually get confirmation that the order has been accepted towards month end.

We only do them with sold deposits, I would imagine that a dealer may want a substantial deposit to enforce the contract, likely they don't want to get stuck with a difficult to sell unit.
Old 05-03-16, 08:40 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rld14
Sticker for a special order? I mean, OK, I understand that the new car guys use current incentives with pricing but I wouldn't expect us to charge sticker for a special order.

When we place a special order with Lexus it has to be in by around the 16th or so of the month, we usually get confirmation that the order has been accepted towards month end.

We only do them with sold deposits, I would imagine that a dealer may want a substantial deposit to enforce the contract, likely they don't want to get stuck with a difficult to sell unit.
You`d be surprised at the ridick emails I have had with Lexus dealers in the past for a special order.

1) market adjustment
2) Non refundable deposit
3) Sticker
Old 05-03-16, 01:54 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
You`d be surprised at the ridick emails I have had with Lexus dealers in the past for a special order.

1) market adjustment
2) Non refundable deposit
3) Sticker
1) Nonsense

2) Absolutely, if it's a weird car you betcha.

3) Lunacy

I will say this, if a customer wants something weird like an ES350 with nothing but Mark Levinson (I don't know if you can even order one like that FWIW) in a lousy color, yup... Nonrefundable.

If you want something otherwise marketable because there's none in stock? I'm not worried.
Old 05-03-16, 03:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rld14
1) Nonsense

2) Absolutely, if it's a weird car you betcha.

3) Lunacy

I will say this, if a customer wants something weird like an ES350 with nothing but Mark Levinson (I don't know if you can even order one like that FWIW) in a lousy color, yup... Nonrefundable.

If you want something otherwise marketable because there's none in stock? I'm not worried.
I know lol. Business at Lexus dealerships are way different then my time buying from other marques. Ordering is discouraged unless you pony up the three I mentioned above. Very select few CAs like yourself (which thank you btw, makes me buy more cars when you have a competent CA). I usually have done Refundable deposits for most orders.
Old 05-03-16, 08:02 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lubbock? When i was looking there a couple of years ago, they wouldn't budge off of msrp with a car that was on the lot.
Go to Sewell in Dallas. I live 6 hours from there and have bought 2 cars from them because they treat me great. My '15 RX was a special order. No deposit and got around 7% off msrp. Of course, that's 3rd gen RX picked up in June 2014, but still....

Quick Reply: Is my dealer telling the truth about ordering?