RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 12:39 PM
dukesean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the dealer confirmed the sound and confirmed that it was due to the expansion valve. However, they also claimed it was a "normal characteristic" of my car, and that they compared it to other 2016RX on their lot and noticed the sound too. I'm thinking they're going to start to get a lot of complaints
Old 10-09-16, 10:52 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

im mentioning it at my first service just to help lexus and dealers get their head out of their behinds and fix these issues
Old 10-09-16, 01:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
im mentioning it at my first service just to help lexus and dealers get their head out of their behinds and fix these issues
First year of new generation models ought to have some kinks. Personally I never purchase first year model.
Old 10-10-16, 07:26 AM
dukesean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Basically I think that's the only way this issue is going to be fixed by Lexus.
Old 10-14-16, 04:28 PM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
i called the dealer and was told as of last week there is a fix and my new part has been ordered!!
So, what's the verdict? did they fix it?
Old 10-23-16, 10:10 AM
a110552441
Driver School Candidate

Got the AC noise on my two months old 2016 Rx 350. My dealership says they have never heard about other owner complain about this issue. They can schedule an appointment for inspection but if they don't find any issue I will be charge for $280 diagnostic fee....
I'm not happy with it... what if they consider the noise as "normal"?
thought luxury car gets better after sale service, but start feeling disappointed now.
Old 10-23-16, 03:36 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by a110552441
Got the AC noise on my two months old 2016 Rx 350. My dealership says they have never heard about other owner complain about this issue. They can schedule an appointment for inspection but if they don't find any issue I will be charge for $280 diagnostic fee....
thought luxury car gets better after sale service, but start feeling disappointed now.
If that is the case, I'd go to a specialized A/C shop and seek their opinion.
Old 10-23-16, 09:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

First off which wacky dealership told you this. Diagnostics of a car without even seeing a brand new car under warranty? LOL

Anyways if your in NY, try one of many other dealers. Either it seems the service department was having a bad day or who knows
Old 11-07-16, 08:00 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got delivery of my 2016 RX today Built in Canada, non F-Sport. It too has the gurgling A/C sound. It goes away when A/C is turned off manually. Doesn't bother me for now and I wouldn't notice with the radio on. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. Based on this thread, it doesn't sound like this actually indicates the A/C is defective so it's likely wait and see if Lexus issues TSB.
Old 11-08-16, 12:14 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I took my RX in last week and the service adviser knew about the issue already. He didn't even bother to take the car to the back. He said enough people had complained to Lexus and they are working on a TSB now. He said its one of the vacuum tubes in the AC that is causing it.

He does not know the ETA for the replacement part.
Old 11-08-16, 03:54 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my RX350 in for its complimentary 5K service last week and mentioned to the service advisor the a/c gurgling sound, which I've had since I bought the car new in April. Of course, he said I was the first person to have mentioned this issue and they hadn't heard anything about it at all (and couldn't replicate it during the service visit). When I mentioned that this was a widely discussed topic on the internet forums he immediately tensed up and took a defensive posture toward me (despite the fact I was pleasant and polite). It really baffles me how their service department could not have heard about this issue by now. It certainly doesn't leave me with a sense of confidence in them. Hopefully, I'll get it fixed at the 10K service. It's just another example of throwing money at building a beautiful new dealership but staffing it with mediocre personnel. After all, it's the people that make an organization great, good or bad and often times their attitudes reflect the leadership at the top.
Old 11-25-16, 08:12 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Your dealer sucks big time and are jerks for even saying that they would charge you to inspect the car. Any issues that is brought up under the warranty period that is even remotely to be covered under the warranty should be investigated without saying that there will be a charge if nothing is found.

In any case, I just brought my car in for the 10k mile service and while going on a test drive on an unrelated matter with the shop foreman, I asked about the a/c whispering noise and he mentioned that he got word from corporate about 3 days ago that they're hoping to have a fix soon. He mentioned that they're pretty sure that they narrowed it down to, I think he said, the expansion valve or evaporation valve and that it is expected to be redesigned so be on the look out for it.
Old 11-25-16, 08:44 AM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Find a new Dealership - Lexus is all about SERVICE.
Old 11-29-16, 01:06 PM
dukesean
Driver School Candidate

So far no TSB yet when I took my RX back in for 5k service. Of course, I mentioned the gurgling sound again. I happened to see a friend during the Thanksgiving holiday who also has a '16 RX and he confirmed the gurgling noise in his AC but that he hasn't complained to Lexus yet but will eventually when he brings it in.
Old 12-06-16, 08:49 AM
ja16336
Driver School Candidate

Default ac gurgling

My dealership said the gurgling noise is from the sunroof drainage.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)