RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 10:27 AM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy it if i knew about all these issues. kinda disappointed that Lexus hasn't coming out with a fix yet. I think it has been half year since the A/C noise problem was reported.
Old 06-10-16, 10:37 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

I should clarify that the only issue I've had so far is the gurgling noise and I can't speak for any of the other issues that others have had on this forum.
Old 06-10-16, 01:17 PM
e60528i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Does this sound develops over time, because I test drove two RX350 and didn't hear anythin.
As far as for mine, I discovered it the next day I bought it. It was only at 30-40 miles on the meter that time. I did not realize the noise immediately because I finished the purchase transaction in the evening and I drove it home and parked it in the garage.

The gurgling noise is one of the two issues I have with my RX350 (The other issue is there was a message came on saying my airbag has malfunction and asked to schedule to bring into the service for inspection). I believe the level of noise on each of the RX350 that has this issue varies as well. When the weather temperature is high (like in the 90s) this week in Oklahoma, the noise became louder and more distinct even with the stereo is turned on at the sound level = 9. There was one guy on this thread who raised his issue last year claimed that the noise is mild when the outside temperature lower, and I definitely agree with his findings. You will not hear this noise when the AC is OFF or heater is ON.

Last edited by e60528i; 06-10-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 05:11 PM
parky7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I have the 450h sans F-Sport and have not heard this noise after almost 1500 miles. I do, however, notice that when both the AC blower and the seat ventilator are on high there is an annoying squeal from the ventilator fan. Turn either fan down 1 notch and the noise goes away.
Did you happen to ask your dealer about this? Heard the squeal today on my 450h also and it kind of annoys me
Old 07-03-16, 02:21 PM
cfhnola
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved for me

Originally Posted by NotADood
Hey guys, Lexus Master Tech here.

We are aware of the issue, and filling the freon to the max amount seems to fix it. There is an improved expansion valve in development right now, but I have no current ETA of when it will be released.
Just had my RX 350 in for its 6 month service, and I asked for a status update on the problem which I'd reported 3 months ago. Back then they drained and refilled the freon to the specified level, which did not solve the problem. This time they told me they filled it above the specified level. Don't know what's normal and what might be max. The entry on my service receipt reads "RECOVER AC SYSTEM AND RECHARGE TO 1.36 LBS." I've driven a good bit since then and no gurgling. At least for me, that seems to have solved the problem.
Old 07-04-16, 08:03 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by parky7
Did you happen to ask your dealer about this? Heard the squeal today on my 450h also and it kind of annoys me
I had one of the techs sit in the vehicle and listen to the "jet engine" sound when ventilators and AC fans are both on high. He said in the 3Rx people complained that the ventilators did not push enough air so they cranked up the speed and/or changed the blade pitch to push more air. I would admit that I could feel the difference in the seat ventilators. Everyone who is in the car when I start it and all the fans crank up to high mentions that it sounds like a jet engine. All things considered, I'd rather have the noise with the additional air than not...wonder if they will address the issue in the '17s?
Old 07-04-16, 08:06 AM
chandlervt
Driver

It sounds like my ex-2003 Honda Civic. I guess I would go crazy with that sound in Texas with 100F days.
Old 07-05-16, 07:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I had one of the techs sit in the vehicle and listen to the "jet engine" sound when ventilators and AC fans are both on high. He said in the 3Rx people complained that the ventilators did not push enough air so they cranked up the speed and/or changed the blade pitch to push more air. I would admit that I could feel the difference in the seat ventilators. Everyone who is in the car when I start it and all the fans crank up to high mentions that it sounds like a jet engine. All things considered, I'd rather have the noise with the additional air than not...wonder if they will address the issue in the '17s?

You can ask the dealer to reduce the fan speed, if the sound bothers you now.
There is a TSB for that.
Old 07-05-16, 09:52 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
You can ask the dealer to reduce the fan speed, if the sound bothers you now.
There is a TSB for that.
Can't you just lower the air setting yourself with the selector? I would rather have the option of it going high even with the noise.

In the 3 Lexus models I've driven with seat AC fans, I remember that I had to turn them to the lowest setting anyway since they would freeze my jewels.

Last edited by jwigley; 07-05-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 10:08 AM
joan9550
Driver School Candidate

Just back form dealer for 5K service. At beginning, dealer said they can not hear any gurgling noise when AC's on. After I complained it again, dealer said there's no remedy yet at this point, ask me come and check again at 10K service. I was wondering if there's remedy now. I may try to talk to another dealer at 10K to see if I am lucky to meet a professional dealer.
Old 08-10-16, 02:54 PM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Went for my 5k service in SoCal today, addressed the AC gurgling issue to the dealer, they said Lexus still hasn't come out with a fix yet. wondering how long it will take for Lexus to fix this problem. 2 years???
Old 08-31-16, 07:26 AM
RANAHAMID
Driver School Candidate

Default Bad voice from 2016 rx350

There is a really bad voice from air conditioner or something and I can clearly hear the water voice through pipes. Went to Lexus dealership yesterday and they said it's a fault from manafacturer and can't be fixed right now. So disappointed after spending this much money. We have been Lexus customers from last 11 years and never had these kind of issues. Hope to hear back soon from Lexus administration.
Thank you
Old 08-31-16, 07:30 AM
RANAHAMID
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise from AC rx350 2016

having same issue
Old 08-31-16, 07:32 AM
RANAHAMID
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys, REPOST
I was excited to picked up our new RX350 last week. 3 days ago, we start noticing some weird noise when the A/C or Fan is on. It sounds like water running inside the pipes. The car drives fine and the noise is significantly reduce when drive in higher speed. Anyone have this issue or any ideas what might be the cause?
Old 08-31-16, 12:11 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RANAHAMID
Hi Guys, REPOST
I was excited to picked up our new RX350 last week. 3 days ago, we start noticing some weird noise when the A/C or Fan is on. It sounds like water running inside the pipes. The car drives fine and the noise is significantly reduce when drive in higher speed. Anyone have this issue or any ideas what might be the cause?
Other than the A/C Seats being loud and sounding like you're in an airplane hahaha. I haven't noticed... take the car to the dealer asap guy.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)