RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 09:52 AM
codraw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Been through winter like spring for the last few days and I've found the heated steering wheel gives out pretty mild warmth than my 4GS does. Has anyone notice it as well?
Old 04-15-16, 10:20 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codraw
Been through winter like spring for the last few days and I've found the heated steering wheel gives out pretty mild warmth than my 4GS does. Has anyone notice it as well?
I haven't owned a previous vehicle with a heated steering wheel before and don't have anything to compare with, but the heated steering wheel in the 4RX i have does seem to be quite weak. I'm not sure if it will feel different when it is actually winter and freezing out but when testing it out recently it definitely only felt just slightly warmer (can't imagine it being helpful at all when it IS cold in the vehicle).
Old 04-15-16, 11:31 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine gets pretty warm and I end up turning it off after a few minutes as by then the interior is heating up nicely.
Old 04-15-16, 11:49 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep I had a loaner and tried and found it to be weak.
Old 04-15-16, 11:54 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I used it once & thought it was weak. Then again the heated seats are weak too.....of course I am comparing my bmw which is scorching hot
Old 04-15-16, 12:47 PM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I used it once & thought it was weak. Then again the heated seats are weak too.....of course I am comparing my bmw which is scorching hot
The heated seats I find get quite hot if it's set to maximum. I've sat in a buddy's BMW 328i with the heated seat maxed as well and I would say if it is hotter, it isn't by much. Normally I just keep it on auto now and it does its job quite well imo.
Old 04-15-16, 01:12 PM
paguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Weak heat!!
Old 04-15-16, 03:24 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Also note that only the sides heat up not the entire wheel.
Old 04-15-16, 07:38 PM
Franklin5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here - weak heat.

Asked my dealer about it at the 5k service and was told its due to running in ECO mode, which supposedly reduces heat output (maybe for seats too?). But I tried Normal mode and didn't see any appreciable difference. Anyone reporting weak steering wheel heat while running exclusively in Normal or Sport modes?
Old 04-16-16, 02:16 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Agreed mine is weak compared to my old 2009 LS460, but still hot enough. But that may have been too hot. Perhaps they've learned that those first gen heated steering wheels were too hot.
Old 05-01-16, 05:11 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried my heated steering wheel after reading this thread and must agree that it is indeed very weak. My wife's Hyundai Sonata convinced me I needed to have this in my next vehicle. I just got my 4Rxh last week and tried heating the wheel today...very disappointing.

Last edited by TexasRxh; 05-01-16 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 09:46 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

About the same as the old 3RX. Never hot but better than wearing gloves on those cold days. Bet it feels warm once it's -20 outside.
Old 05-02-16, 10:40 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they toned down on the heating part in steering and butt warmers due to liability or "potential" hazard haha. I remember a few years ago there was big fuss about people saying butt warmers are too hot, someone getting burns etc.
I agree, its a warmer, not heater, the old Maxima we had would make the steering wheel toasty, but it was just right imo. It does not help that in RX its just the sides that are warm. Oh well...
I still find that thin gloves are a good idea, due to the side heaters, you still grab the cold wood steering wheel making turns. I love the wood, but it could be cold when switching from heated area. Yea, first world problems.
Old 05-02-16, 06:31 PM
madmax24
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by Franklin5
Same here - weak heat.

Asked my dealer about it at the 5k service and was told its due to running in ECO mode, which supposedly reduces heat output (maybe for seats too?). But I tried Normal mode and didn't see any appreciable difference. Anyone reporting weak steering wheel heat while running exclusively in Normal or Sport modes?
I have tried it in all three modes and cannot tell any difference. They are all weak. I guess my dealer should have given me a pair of driving gloves, instead of the cheap pen and 2 key chains. I'm not sure what anyone does with a key chain, since you have a key fob.
Old 05-02-16, 08:12 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It is perfect for those cold SoCal days... It is probably the most useless feature on my car because i live in L.A. LOL.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm