RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn on/off Air Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 09:36 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

One for the most bizarre lack of feature on the 3RX and 4RX.....why they lack this one button but bomb us full of other seldomly used buttons.

I'll add when I have the defogger on, the A/C goes on...ok fine...but when I turn it all off....the next time I turn on the fan on, the A/C is left on. I have to dig deep in the navi to turn it back off. Annoying.
Old 04-18-16, 08:35 PM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried them, but page 262 in the navigation manual shows a couple of possibly relevant voice commands.

Old 04-19-16, 06:38 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Your AC compressor only comes on when needed when you have the AUTO set to on and the temp inside the car is higher than the temp you have set.

On my 4RX when I push the OFF button next to the AUTO button, it locks out the AC compressor and yet still allows fresh air and heated air to move through the system. The 4RX will do the best it can to cool and heat without the AC compressor. If you want to enable the compressor again you just hit the AUTO button next the the OFF button.

Seems simple to me, like past Lexus I have owned.
I just got done trying this and it does NOT work as you describe. Yes, pushing the OFF button next to the AUTO button does turn off the AC compressor. But it only allows fresh air and heated air to move PASSIVELY through the system...like a puff. In order to really move air, you have to hit the fan buttons and that turns the AC back on! There doesn't seem to be any way really turn on and off the AC compressor other then going to CLIMATE on the screen, which requires many hand motions as well as taking you away from the radio or whatever is on the screen to begin with.

Am I right? Is this truly the only way to turn off the compressor without turning off the entire climate system? Just cannot be.
Old 04-19-16, 06:39 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfc350
I haven't tried them, but page 262 in the navigation manual shows a couple of possibly relevant voice commands.

I tried this and the system does not understand me, despite going thru the voice command set up, repeating 10 sentences and repeating myself many many many times. I think this whole issue of voice command requires it's own post which I'll do.
Old 04-19-16, 07:03 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

voice command stinks. Its marginally better than 3RX
Old 04-19-16, 07:04 AM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in a dry climate. The RX wants to run the compressor all the time, even when the heater is on. I, too, turn it off. The only way I have found on both my previous '13 and now my '16 is to go through the nav system. Turning it back n is easy, you just tap the Auto button (even though auto will already be green). I turn it off anytime the outside air is at least a few degrees cooler than I want the inside. In the Sacramento area, humidity is not an issue.
Old 04-19-16, 07:08 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just tried voice command and it "kinda" worked. The way my voice command system is configured, I have to say a category first ("climate"), then "climate control off." But the visual confirmation message after that said "Fan off" rather than "AC off," so it wasn't exactly what we were looking for.
Old 04-19-16, 01:04 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfc350

I tried this and it absolutely understands nothing. Do I need to be in CLIMATE mode while doing this or some other "secret handshake"? I tried that too but it did not work.

Asked another way, is there ANY way, other than going thru the menus, to quickly (or even merely just "quicker than the menus") turn off the compressor without turning off all the other stuff.
Old 06-02-16, 09:11 PM
and408rew
Driver School Candidate

Default No AC Button?!

Am I crazy for thinking Lexus made a poor move by not putting a manual AC on/off button?
Old 06-02-16, 10:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes...you are. Just leave it on. Haha
Old 06-03-16, 10:27 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by and408rew
Am I crazy for thinking Lexus made a poor move by not putting a manual AC on/off button?
There isn't a "physical" button, but there is an ON/OFF AC button in the environment control screen (not sure that is what it's called).
Old 06-03-16, 11:58 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Turning the AC ON/OFF is quite the process to be taken in most Lexus vehicle. In my 2011 GS, I have to hit "climate" which turns on the navi screen then hit the "AC" and that will toggle it ON/FF. On my newer 2015 GS, I have to press the "Menu", go to climate, and then toggle AC on and off. Why don't they just have a separate button for AC is beyond me. It's not a big deal but certainly something they can improve.
Why do you want the AC off? Some of you may ask. Well, in the Spring and Fall, it gets warm enough inside the car but not enough to turn on the AC. I just use the fan and the air coming from outside is more comfortable than using AC.
The following users liked this post:
garne2t (12-03-21)
Old 06-08-16, 07:42 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Let the A/C compressor run all the time. That way it gets lubricated properly. Turning it off for long periods of time will allow the compressor to dry out and then starting it when it has not been operated for a long period of time is very hard on it. Most modern A/C compressors have a variable vane system instead of clutches. Just because the compress is "ON" does not mean that it is loading down the engine. It varies the vanes to adjust to the required cooling but is meanwhile receiving the proper lubrication.
Old 06-08-16, 08:26 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

No. I see that you are in PA also (I'm in Pittsburgh). There are many times, esp in the spring and fall, where you want fresh flowing air without the chill or without being heated.
Old 06-08-16, 10:23 PM
Vincent05
Driver

If you have carista, you can change the setting to have AC off all the time but you have to go in to turn it on when you want AC. You can ask the dealer to turn it off the next time you get your car service there. Had to change the setting in my 14 ES also, hate it when the AC is always on when you don't need it.

Quick Reply: Turn on/off Air Conditioner?