RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Curious about reviews on RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 02:17 PM
alvinsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about reviews on RX

Hi all, I posted the question below in Lexus's UK forum (I live in London). Since US is the biggest market for Lexus so I thought I would post it here as well to get some more insights, note the review I mentioned are mostly from UK medias. Thanks.

I've been shopping for my next car recently so have been reading reviews on RX450H (latest gen and 3rd gen). And have noticed mostly RX will be ranked below rivals such as Q7, X5 etc in comparison reviews. Take the latest Q7 for example, a recent comparison comparison review on WhatCar has comments like: The controls and build quality of the Q7 is much more solid than RX, which based on my brief visit to the audi showroom (I didn't have time to test drive the Q7) doesn't seem to be the case, as the Q7 I saw seems quite plasticy inside, the whole dashboard is just black plastic, compared to lexus's leather. The Audi's buttons' and switches are quite nice but I didn't find them any superior to the rx. Then the review also says the Q7 is much quieter than RX at motorway speed, which again I haven't had the chance to test drive on motorway, but given the rx has double-glazed glass I found that surprising. Am I missing something here? Are there any members here who have actually owned a Q7 (other crossovers) and RX and can give your comments?

Or maybe I should take a Q7 for a extended test drive to draw a conclusion myself.
Old 04-01-16, 02:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, alvinsu. We have a thread comparing the RX to other SUVs in the FAQ thread. This one in particular talks about the RX vs the Q7 and XC90. The best thing to do is take them both out for a test drive and see for yourself.
Old 04-01-16, 04:57 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doubt you will find many Q7 owners in US since we just started getting them in Jan, 16.
But like you I've been comparing the two along with the soon to be redesigned MDX. The Q7 is a very nice vehicle but I like the Lexus better. The Q has a superior power train...more power, better handling and the Quatro is better than the RX AWD. But the Q electronics are very complicated, not user friendly and not untuitive. Like you said the interior looks dated compared to the RX...plain and few color options. Just looks cheap to me. The digital DIC is neat. There is hardly any storage up front in the Q. Don't like the run flat tires on the Q, no spare. Even though the Q has a lot of aluminum it's still heavy. Finally reliability has historically been below average vs Lexus always at the top. I really wanted to like the Q and went back three times for test drives and review of the more expensive models. I don't know why the Q gets such good reviews because even though I love the handling and drive train it falls flat in pizazz IMO.
Old 04-02-16, 04:49 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

For dependability, it will be hard to beat the Lexus. That is important to me as I have owned the other brands and spent too much time in their service department.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 04-04-16, 07:12 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

it's time for a new RX but I just can't get over the front end design. overall the design is too "noisy" but front end is preventing me from considering. and now the redesigned front end of 2017 MDX looks fair and overall design reminds me of 2nd Gen RX IMHO the best "looker". i am going to wait a few months and test drive the MDX before committing but this will be a first Honda so I am taking a chance leaving behind best serviced Lexus.
Old 04-04-16, 07:47 PM
rscpa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
it's time for a new RX but I just can't get over the front end design. overall the design is too "noisy" but front end is preventing me from considering. and now the redesigned front end of 2017 MDX looks fair and overall design reminds me of 2nd Gen RX IMHO the best "looker". i am going to wait a few months and test drive the MDX before committing but this will be a first Honda so I am taking a chance leaving behind best serviced Lexus.
I too was on the fence with the front end and styling. I purchased one and and really enjoying the front end. I looked at the MDX and it felt very Japanese to me. No comparison on the luxury end of things, Lexus all the way.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 04-06-16, 07:01 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. While the front end has grown on us there are times that we see one and the overall design, specifically the front end just doesn't do it for us, especially my wife.

While she agrees the interior and refinement is better she is having trouble with the styling. Fortunately we have over a year before we need to make a decision which is coming down to the RX and GX..

Yes, I know two different vehicles. But the last time we were looking for the RX she drove the GX and she liked it but she couldn't get over the way the cargo door opened. She was still considering it over the RX but then she saw the RX F Sport and she loved the look, the cabernet interior and the rest is history.

Now she is leaning in the other direction saying that she feels she could get used to the "barndoor" of the GX easier than the RX styling. But just yesterday she told me she saw a new RX F-Sport in dark blue and it looked nice.

So who knows what the heck we'll be getting, I'm just glad we have plenty of time to figure this out.
Old 04-06-16, 07:19 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
. But just yesterday she told me she saw a new RX F-Sport in dark blue and it looked nice.

I recommend to see it in person and in different colors...its interesting its less crazy looking in person and in different colors.

fyi, I have it in that dark blue and its seems less in your face.....somehow it works.
Old 04-06-16, 12:49 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I recommend to see it in person and in different colors...its interesting its less crazy looking in person and in different colors.

fyi, I have it in that dark blue and its seems less in your face.....somehow it works.
The dark blue is very nice. We have seen it in person numerous times and in several colors, and like I said sometimes we like it and other times we don't.