RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

It could have been perfect, only if...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 07:53 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It could have been perfect, only if...

I was convinced I wanted the 16 RX350. But I had a chance to test drive it as a loaner for a couple days while my 13 was having service and now I'm not sure it's worth $55k. Don't get me wrong, it's a technological improvement over my 13...better safety features, exterior styling, road refinement. But while the exterior makes a statement the interior is a bit underwhelming. The materials are less luxurious and the dash paneling seems a bit stayed , and doesn't look as polished for a new cutting edge design. I decided to peek inside the es350 and was pleasantly surprised While it's the entry level model, it had the touch of class that should be in the RX. Better material treatments, better color combos, nicely organized buttons and instruments and the nav screen was nicely integrated and didn't look like it was an iPad superglued on top of the dash as an afterthought look. The seats were noticeably better. Put that interior into the exterior styling of the RX and it's a home run. I think I'm gonna sit in the sideline for a bit longer as better to feel 100% when spending over $55k.
Old 03-31-16, 08:25 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny thing is i feel exactly the opposite of you. I feel the New RX is more luxurious inside than the old RX AND the New ES. Even in the ultra luxury version of the ES there is still way too much hard plastic everywhere. This is my opinion, comming from a guy who drives a 2014 GS 350 Luxury package. And I feel the GS is more Luxurious and quality than all three of those cars you mentioned. You are the only person i know that doesnt like the 12 inch Nav display and actually prefer the smaller screen on the ES. I smell a Troll.....
Old 03-31-16, 08:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I respect your opinion but am a bit blown away by it. I found the new RX interior to be leaps and bounds better than the ES, especially in material quality. I do, however, understand that not everyone is a fan of how the nav is mounted in the dash.
Old 03-31-16, 08:51 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i had the black interior and there were no wood or other contrasting material elements. No one , and myself included, would decline the larger screen, but it sure looks like an afterthought sticking up on the dash. MB is guilty of he same. The Es has a sufficiently large screen and its integrated much better. The wood trim along the door panels and the dash sweep are much more refined. The console in front of the shifter is better ergonomically. The area in front of the shifter in the RX is too deep under the console and makes accessing the seat heater, park hold etc less convenient ....as if that was the only place left they could put them. Losing the cup holder by the steering wheel was a loss and because the remaining holders are so close to the radio forced the creative necessity to have the depressed cup holder so as not to block the controls altogether. The clock seems like a late grab at class as this was done best by Chrysler (yes let's give them first props) years back when they started this and many others have been using this so it looks like a copy cat placement. Don't get me wrong, I very much like this version, especially the fspoort grille, but was underwhelmed by the interior not stepping up as high as what they did on the outside and the technology. Even the shift **** seems a bit antiquated when so many other luxury vehicles have moved to an electronic control shift input. Just my food for thought 🙂
Old 04-01-16, 01:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

What I wish for is paragraphs. If you are having trouble reaching the seat heaters it is your arms that are too short.

Loving my 4RX!
Old 04-01-16, 01:30 AM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what loaner you were in, but if I'm not mistaken, all non-Fsport models come with wood trim of some sort. While I agree that they could've integrated the navigation better (similar to their other models), every luxury car manufacturer is moving to the same design (BMW, MB, Audi). The reason they're all doing this is because of better visibility, especially in an SUV. I have my seat heater and electronic park on automatic all the time so it never bothers me. The park hold button is easy to access, so unless you're driving like a gangster wannabe with your seat all the way back and low, I don't see this being an issue. I'm over 6 foot so my seat is relatively far back.

I was recently in an ES loaner and I thought I was driving an upscale Camry, so I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The driver side cupholder blocks me from resting my arm on the arm rest if I have a tall drink. The passenger side cup holder blocks the passenger climate controls. I have to reach all the way over to the passenger side to use the remote touch. The center console looks like a complete afterthought with that aluminum trim. The clock looks dismal compared to the GS and RX. Hard plastic everywhere and an overall cheap interior feel. Even the experience feels cheap with the low resolution back up camera, super loud and annoying turn signals, and low resolution screen. I will give the ES the more comfortable seats, my gosh those seats were buttery soft...

Electronic shifter from manufacturers like MB, Acura, and Chrysler have all made it to the worst interior designs for 2015 and there's a reason for that. The traditional shifters do not require memory to operate. With the new designs, you have to remember which button does what and that is a HUGE safety concern. IN FACT, the 2015 Lincoln MKC was recalled because of the stupid shift button design. Drivers were getting the shift buttons confused with the entertainment console due to poor placement. So new is NOT always better.

Most reviews for the new RX interior agree that it's the most mature and ergonomic of the entire Lexus lineup. No interior is going to be perfect, but if you're going to nitpick, you can do that for every single car out there.

Last edited by SoKali-RX; 04-01-16 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 05:07 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Relax guys he is one in a million that actually likes the ES interior over the new RX interior. Every magazine reviewer and most forum members all agree the new RX has much better interior than the last model. And if we opt for the Luxury package then the RX interior would be a step up better than in the base model.

What bugs me the most about the ES interior is cup holder placement......I mean what was the engineers smoking when they designed it? Seriously? Anyways, guys stop feeding the TROLL he is well fed and full now no need to give him left overs.
Old 04-01-16, 05:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine. While I am very happy with our 15 F Sport, and like the interior (especially the Cabernet), the interior of the 16 is much nicer. Just the layout alone is an improvement, again IMO.

Now if the OP would have said he doesn't like, or is having trouble getting used the exterior styling I would have understood that better because it's not for everyone.
Old 04-01-16, 07:39 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Anyways, guys stop feeding the TROLL he is well fed and full now no need to give him left overs.
why is he a troll? Not every car is perfect and if there are something he doesn't like, he is entitled to his opinion

I had the 14RX and I'll admit there are a few things better in the 3RX. The visibility is better. The trunk noise was less. I am still debating about how the 4RX shifts over the 3RX....its low on the RPM and I have to mash it to really get it moving..

It was cool to have the cup holder by the steering wheel which was lost in the 4RX...but the cup by the steering wheel always made a reflection on the side window which was annoying especially if you are using the side mirror.
Old 04-01-16, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I can't even imagine somebody feeling that a 3RX had better interior materials than a 4RX. Design is subjective, but quality isn't. Interior material quality is a HUGE improvement in the 4RX, it was quite poor in the 3RX IMHO, lagging behind even the Highlander. The ES also has fairly poor quality materials, better with the 2016 refresh but the 4RX is much more nicely appointed inside.

Remember that loaners are typically low package cars, and for some reason when I experience a model as a loaner and then test drive a new one my opinion of the car is totally different. I doubt your loaner was equipped to $55,000.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 09:11 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The OP just needs to drive a fully loaded luxury or FSport. His opinion will change substantially. Actually the same thing kinda happened to me.
Old 04-01-16, 09:17 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Design is subjective, but quality isn't. Interior material quality is a HUGE improvement in the 4RX, it was quite poor in the 3RX IMHO, lagging behind even the Highlander
I test drove a fully loaded 2016 Highlander...its a very nice car & well equipped....the 3RX was a still a bit better than the Highlander. Just my opinion
Old 04-01-16, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I test drove a fully loaded 2016 Highlander...its a very nice car & well equipped....the 3RX was a still a bit better than the Highlander. Just my opinion
I'm talking about the quality of the interior materials...I just don't agree with that at all. Way more soft touch plastics and padded surfaces in the Highlander. The materials used on the 3RX console and door panels were terrible.
Old 04-02-16, 12:26 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the OP had a stripped, basic loaner equipped without the Premium Package. Wood interior trim starts with the Premium Package. And, of course, the more expensive Luxury Package has wood trim as well. I just happened to be reading the RX brochure tonight where I saw this information.
Old 04-02-16, 12:52 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Who care. If you don't like the RX then don't buy it, and just go buy something you like.

Quick Reply: It could have been perfect, only if...