RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: What do you think of the LSS+
Freeeaking Awesome!!
92.86%
Why Toyota Why??
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 10:40 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kenforum
There is a setting that you can turn off the steering wheel vibration while still activating the LKA.
What part of LKA is still working after hitting the off button on the steering wheel. My info panel it is disabled so I think pushing the button turn it off as it also disables the LKA on the HUD.
Old 03-30-16, 11:09 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
What part of LKA is still working after hitting the off button on the steering wheel. My info panel it is disabled so I think pushing the button turn it off as it also disables the LKA on the HUD.
Well, if you hit the off button in the steering wheel then yes nothing works anymore. I was just saying if you enable the LKA, then one can choose to be alerted by the steering wheel vibration, or without, while keeping all LKA functions working. One can disable the steering wheel vibration in this setting: Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +-image-1107942935.jpg Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +-image-3537559099.jpg

Last edited by kenforum; 03-30-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 12:37 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by go3Ds
Love the $635 package price!!! Should get most if not all back at resale time. Love everything so far, will comment more as I learn more about each feature.

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+
Pre-Collision System (PCS)* with Pedestrian Detection,* All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,* Lane Keep Assist,* Lane Departure Alert* with Steering Assist,* and intelligent high-beam headlamps.*

$635*
I tried building one on Lexus.com and added the LSS+. It requires a $4000+ luxury package so it's not really a $635 deal
Old 03-30-16, 04:49 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
I tried building one on Lexus.com and added the LSS+. It requires a $4000+ luxury package so it's not really a $635 deal
Not sure about the other models, but the hybrid does not require the luxury package to get various LSS+.
Mine was $1050, but included Adaptive Front Lighting System Headlamps. I did not get the luxury package. See attached photo.
Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +-fullsizerender.jpg
Old 03-31-16, 07:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
Not sure about the other models, but the hybrid does not require the luxury package to get various LSS+.
Mine was $1050, but included Adaptive Front Lighting System Headlamps. I did not get the luxury package. See attached photo.
Attachment 382987
I though LSS was a standalone package .
Old 03-31-16, 08:08 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

mines is a stand alone and I didn't have the lux package
Old 03-31-16, 08:46 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdme

5. LKA in the Infiniti beeps if you hit the lines accurately. It resists crossing the line by opposite wheel braking. This is not as overriding as the steering assist provided by the RX but I find the RX "missing" the lines some times. The Lane centering of the RX is cool and gives the impression of autonomous driving but since the RX misses the lines some times, I think it isn't ready for primetime. The Infiniti doesn't have this feature.
Just curious, when it's "missing the line", how well are the lines painted? If the system can't pick up the line because it's poorly painted, then it can't keep you in the lane. One if the MID screens shows the car and 2 lines. If the line is solid, the car sees the line. If the line is hollow, the car can't see the line. Just some info if you were not aware.
Old 03-31-16, 08:51 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I though LSS was a standalone package .
It is a standalone package. However, you can get it bundled with some lighting choices. Here's the options in my area:

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM +

$635

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT-LIGHTING SYSTEM

$1,050

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM LED HEADLAMPS

$2,250
Old 03-31-16, 12:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by offroad200
Just curious, when it's "missing the line", how well are the lines painted? If the system can't pick up the line because it's poorly painted, then it can't keep you in the lane. One if the MID screens shows the car and 2 lines. If the line is solid, the car sees the line. If the line is hollow, the car can't see the line. Just some info if you were not aware.
Almost everything besides the Tesla and Volvo require painted visual lines. Those two mfgs can follow a car in front so no need for lines

Originally Posted by Mdme
Speaking from experience and comparing with Infiniti QX60

1. The PCS sometimes makes me wonder whether it's even there. The Infiniti clearly works. (Not saying the PCS doesn't). The Infiniti beeps when you are closing in faster based on the speed difference and brakes if you don't adjust accordingly. Example driver in front doesn't signal but suddenly makes a right turn into a driveway thereby slowing a lot. The Infiniti beeps first to warn you of the suddenly slow car and if you don't slow down, it will slow down then brake for you.

I did get the pcs to activate once by beeping and flashing "Brake" when a car in front of me suddenly stopped while crossing an intersection slowly while I got distracted (whew).

Unlike the Infiniti, I could never willfully get pcs to engage.

So while the Infiniti is conservative, it surely gives you peace of mind that it's there (can be deactivated if you wish). PCS on the other hand seems to be programmed for the absolute last second which makes it less intrusive, whether it is less safe is unknown to me.

2. DRCC = Infiniti radar cruise. They both work as advertised.

3. Blind spot monitor on both work, but infiniti has sound warning too (Don't know if the rx beeps too). The Infiniti can intervene if you try to turn into a car in the blind spot by opposite wheel braking to slow/resist your turn. Though I have not tried to test this.

4. RCTA does what it's supposed to. Infiniti takes it one step further by braking if you don't stop. Tried to stop me from backing intentionally into a snow bank.

5. LKA in the Infiniti beeps if you hit the lines accurately. It resists crossing the line by opposite wheel braking. This is not as overriding as the steering assist provided by the RX but I find the RX "missing" the lines some times. The Lane centering of the RX is cool and gives the impression of autonomous driving but since the RX misses the lines some times, I think it isn't ready for primetime. The Infiniti doesn't have this feature.

6. The RX has intelligent headlamps. The Infiniti doesn't.
5. Active lane keep assits are interesting their either use differential braking, or steer assit or both. Infiniti lane keep assit has been interesting, a sharp bend throws it off since you can only apply so much braking. Active lane via steer is good on corners, but makes you play ping pong between the lines. The systems have not smoothed their actions out yet.

6. Infiniti added that feature in 16s I believe
Old 03-31-16, 01:37 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

They all work off painted lines from what I have see. I know my past MB350 did and my M56 Infinity did. All worked pretty well on the expressway but would sometime do the "ping ponging" thing, none were good enough where I felt comfortable reading a book. As far as around town none are ready that I have seen and have a long way to go. To me the most valuable feature in my 4RX is the braking feature which has yet proved itself.

If it only works one time I would consider it a bargain. This technology will get better and better.
Old 03-31-16, 02:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

They all work off painted lines from what I have see. I know my past MB350 did and my M56 Infinity did. All worked pretty well on the expressway but would sometime do the "ping ponging" thing, none were good enough where I felt comfortable reading a book. As far as around town none are ready that I have seen and have a long way to go. To me the most valuable feature in my 4RX is the braking feature which has yet proved itself.

If it only works one time I would consider it a bargain. This technology will get better and better.
True for most systems, they turn off to driver input, Tesla and Volvo (PA2) supposedly track the car in front as well, so it doesnt fall back.
Old 03-31-16, 07:14 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
Painted well. Not missed by my QX60.
Old 04-01-16, 01:20 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
True for most systems, they turn off to driver input, Tesla and Volvo (PA2) supposedly track the car in front as well, so it doesnt fall back.
I do not drive a Tesla or Volvo so how they work does not matter to me.
Old 04-01-16, 05:18 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The only thing this system will not save is from yourself and other drivers who are idiots that share your road. Yes this system is worth it if it will save you from an accident if you were driving too close to car in front of you and not paying attention. But you shouldn't do that in the first place. Anyways its not that I disagree that the Safety+ is not worth it. I feel that every car lexus makes should have this and it will make the road that much safer from idiots.

I have driven 20 different cars for 18 years and never once was the cause of an accident. I have had 5 people crash into me because they were careless and or drunk. Two of those times while I was on a motorcycle. Its like everyone out there is trying to kill me LOL.

These safety systems in our cars are one of those things you cant test but hope it works when the time does come. Its like AIR bags in cars we cant test them but hope they will work when we do need them.
Old 04-01-16, 06:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I do not drive a Tesla or Volvo so how they work does not matter to me.
Hopefully Lexus design philosophy isnt the same. Would love to see updates on their LSS+ system.

Quick Reply: Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +