RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: What do you think of the LSS+
Freeeaking Awesome!!
92.86%
Why Toyota Why??
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 11:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +

Now that Lexus has finally gotten the ball rolling on active safety tech, those who own, experienced, or remotly are familiar with this system chime in.

What attributes make you question how driving a car without the LSS+ is even possible?

What attributes make you question the sanity of the engineers who designed the system for use in the city?

Comment down below please
Old 03-29-16, 12:13 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How sensitive is your pre collision system? I am a bit unsure if its working
Old 03-29-16, 12:35 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Most of us, including the OP, has no idea how well the system will work. I have had the red light come on a few times but the vehicle has never braked for me. I will reserve judgement and vote until I see how it does. Right now just the "beep and the red light is better than my LX did so I am not complaining.

If it just saves you from one accident . . . .
Old 03-29-16, 12:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Most of us, including the OP, has no idea how well the system will work. I have had the red light come on a few times but the vehicle has never braked for me. I will reserve judgement and vote until I see how it does. Right now just the "beep and the red light is better than my LX did so I am not complaining.

If it just saves you from one accident . . . .
The collision mitgiation system is only one aspect of LSS. LKA, DRCC etc are things that you can chime in on, since you really dont need to put yourself at harms way to review it.
Old 03-29-16, 02:29 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the $635 package price!!! Should get most if not all back at resale time. Love everything so far, will comment more as I learn more about each feature.

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+
Pre-Collision System (PCS)* with Pedestrian Detection,* All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,* Lane Keep Assist,* Lane Departure Alert* with Steering Assist,* and intelligent high-beam headlamps.*

$635*
Old 03-29-16, 03:50 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am strongly in favor of it. My wife got an RX350 in November with it and we both decided that it was important enough that I leased an identically equipped RX350 in February. If it saves either of us from a serious accident it will be worth it.
When I got my first car with anti-lock brakes (a 1991 Maxima), many people did not think it was worth it but it saved me from two accidents when cars cut suddenly in front of me. Similarly, the anti-lock brakes and dynamic stability control, on my G35, saved me from an accident when traffic stopped suddenly in front of me and I had to make a quick lane change. I hope neither of us ever need the feature but now I would not have a car without them.
2016 eminent white RX350 (replaced 2008 RX400H)
2016 Nightfall Mica RX350 (replaced 2012 RX350)
Old 03-29-16, 03:55 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

After 4 months of driving my new RX I've given up on the DRCC; I hold the cruise button down until the car engages the "regular" CC. I've found that the DRCC is dangerous except maybe on a calm, low-traffic stretch of interstate. Some wacky driver cuts you off somewhere within your following distance, the DRCC slams on the brakes, and you'd better hope the guy following you is paying attention or you're gonna get rear-ended.

That's also the reason I could/would never let a friend or family member do the driving without thoroughly explaining to them how to bypass the DRCC and enable the regular CC. The entire "safety system" package is worthless to me, too many quirks. I'll need to order my next Lexus so that I can avoid it. Gimme the blind-spot monitor & rear-cross-traffic alert (and the park assist!) -- and I'm good.
Old 03-29-16, 05:55 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
After 4 months of driving my new RX I've given up on the DRCC; I hold the cruise button down until the car engages the "regular" CC. I've found that the DRCC is dangerous except maybe on a calm, low-traffic stretch of interstate. Some wacky driver cuts you off somewhere within your following distance, the DRCC slams on the brakes, and you'd better hope the guy following you is paying attention or you're gonna get rear-ended.

That's also the reason I could/would never let a friend or family member do the driving without thoroughly explaining to them how to bypass the DRCC and enable the regular CC. The entire "safety system" package is worthless to me, too many quirks. I'll need to order my next Lexus so that I can avoid it. Gimme the blind-spot monitor & rear-cross-traffic alert (and the park assist!) -- and I'm good.
I think starting next year every lexus comes standard with safety+
Old 03-29-16, 07:01 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking from experience and comparing with Infiniti QX60

1. The PCS sometimes makes me wonder whether it's even there. The Infiniti clearly works. (Not saying the PCS doesn't). The Infiniti beeps when you are closing in faster based on the speed difference and brakes if you don't adjust accordingly. Example driver in front doesn't signal but suddenly makes a right turn into a driveway thereby slowing a lot. The Infiniti beeps first to warn you of the suddenly slow car and if you don't slow down, it will slow down then brake for you.

I did get the pcs to activate once by beeping and flashing "Brake" when a car in front of me suddenly stopped while crossing an intersection slowly while I got distracted (whew).

Unlike the Infiniti, I could never willfully get pcs to engage.

So while the Infiniti is conservative, it surely gives you peace of mind that it's there (can be deactivated if you wish). PCS on the other hand seems to be programmed for the absolute last second which makes it less intrusive, whether it is less safe is unknown to me.

2. DRCC = Infiniti radar cruise. They both work as advertised.

3. Blind spot monitor on both work, but infiniti has sound warning too (Don't know if the rx beeps too). The Infiniti can intervene if you try to turn into a car in the blind spot by opposite wheel braking to slow/resist your turn. Though I have not tried to test this.

4. RCTA does what it's supposed to. Infiniti takes it one step further by braking if you don't stop. Tried to stop me from backing intentionally into a snow bank.

5. LKA in the Infiniti beeps if you hit the lines accurately. It resists crossing the line by opposite wheel braking. This is not as overriding as the steering assist provided by the RX but I find the RX "missing" the lines some times. The Lane centering of the RX is cool and gives the impression of autonomous driving but since the RX misses the lines some times, I think it isn't ready for primetime. The Infiniti doesn't have this feature.

6. The RX has intelligent headlamps. The Infiniti doesn't.
Old 03-30-16, 02:47 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdme
Speaking from experience and comparing with Infiniti QX60

1. The PCS sometimes makes me wonder whether it's even there. The Infiniti clearly works. (Not saying the PCS doesn't). The Infiniti beeps when you are closing in faster based on the speed difference and brakes if you don't adjust accordingly. Example driver in front doesn't signal but suddenly makes a right turn into a driveway thereby slowing a lot. The Infiniti beeps first to warn you of the suddenly slow car and if you don't slow down, it will slow down then brake for you.

I did get the pcs to activate once by beeping and flashing "Brake" when a car in front of me suddenly stopped while crossing an intersection slowly while I got distracted (whew).

Unlike the Infiniti, I could never willfully get pcs to engage.

So while the Infiniti is conservative, it surely gives you peace of mind that it's there (can be deactivated if you wish). PCS on the other hand seems to be programmed for the absolute last second which makes it less intrusive, whether it is less safe is unknown to me.

2. DRCC = Infiniti radar cruise. They both work as advertised.

3. Blind spot monitor on both work, but infiniti has sound warning too (Don't know if the rx beeps too). The Infiniti can intervene if you try to turn into a car in the blind spot by opposite wheel braking to slow/resist your turn. Though I have not tried to test this.

4. RCTA does what it's supposed to. Infiniti takes it one step further by braking if you don't stop. Tried to stop me from backing intentionally into a snow bank.

5. LKA in the Infiniti beeps if you hit the lines accurately. It resists crossing the line by opposite wheel braking. This is not as overriding as the steering assist provided by the RX but I find the RX "missing" the lines some times. The Lane centering of the RX is cool and gives the impression of autonomous driving but since the RX misses the lines some times, I think it isn't ready for primetime. The Infiniti doesn't have this feature.

6. The RX has intelligent headlamps. The Infiniti doesn't.

What do you mean with "intelligent Lighting"? What exactly does it do?
Old 03-30-16, 03:27 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I turned off the Lane Keeping Assist a couple thousand miles back as I got tired of the steering wheel vibrating. It works good, sometimes too good and would use it on a trip for sure.
Old 03-30-16, 06:45 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I turned off the Lane Keeping Assist a couple thousand miles back as I got tired of the steering wheel vibrating. It works good, sometimes too good and would use it on a trip for sure.
There is a setting that you can turn off the steering wheel vibration while still activating the LKA.
Old 03-30-16, 06:59 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenforum
There is a setting that you can turn off the steering wheel vibration while still activating the LKA.
Thanks, I know. I do use the button on the wheel to disable the vibration. The visual cues on the HUD are also turned off so what part is LKA is still going?

Last edited by RXOwner; 03-30-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 08:57 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem

So how exactly is the regular cruise control better. If someone cut you off you'd go straight into the back. Atleast the dynamic cruise control slams the brakes on so you dont. Computers have a much better reaction time than a human!

Hoping that someone behind is paying attention is not the system's problem. It doesnt care. You cant come to a conclusion that its useless when its not designed to "stop" the guy behind you not crashing into you, surely thats his problem?!
Old 03-30-16, 10:11 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
So how exactly is the regular cruise control better. If someone cut you off you'd go straight into the back. Atleast the dynamic cruise control slams the brakes on so you dont. Computers have a much better reaction time than a human!

Hoping that someone behind is paying attention is not the system's problem. It doesnt care. You cant come to a conclusion that its useless when its not designed to "stop" the guy behind you not crashing into you, surely thats his problem?!
Have to agree

Quick Reply: Positives and Negatives of the Lexus Safety System +