RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bad tire replaced with a different brand.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 09:24 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad tire replaced with a different brand.

I was on a long trip and noticed my left rear tire pressure on the TPMS info screen was gradually going down. I made it to the next town out in the boonies, miles from a Lexus dealer or bigger city, but it did have a Walmart with a tire center. Thought it would just be a flat, but they showed me where the piece of spike like metal entered the tire was outside the tread lines so was irreparable. They didn’t have, or could even order, my original Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 235/55R20 102V tire. They did have a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 235/55R20 102H in stock. I called the other 2 tire shops in town and 1 of them could get my Bridgestone, but it would take 5 days to get it. I didn’t want pay for 5 nights in a hotel so I went ahead and got the Pirelli at Walmart. I had 1900 miles on the Bridgestone's at the time of replacement. Now after the long trip home I have 3100 miles on the 3 Bridgestone's with the 1 Pirelli having 1200 miles.

My question is, even though the Pirelli is probably just as good a tire and the same size, it has a different tread pattern, as well as a different speed rating. Should I take a loss on the new Pirelli I bought and replace it with the same OEM Bridgestone”s as my other 3 tires? I just now read in the manual to not mix tires so I’m thinking yes.
Old 03-27-16, 03:15 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear about you tire problem. If it we me and there we no problem with handling, I would stick with the Scorpion tire. I can not see any harm as long as they are both the same size. Maybe contact the Lexus dealer but they sell tires so . . . .

I have always been a Michelin tire owner and these Ecopia tires we not liked at first but the dealer did not want to do a switch. After driving 6k+ miles on them, I am impressed. They are quiet, handle well in both wet and dry so I have nothing to complain about. Depending on how long they last, I might even get another set to replace these. Not sure if they save a little fuel, but I do not hear Michelin's comparable tire make any fuel savings claim.
Old 03-27-16, 05:14 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Based on having an IS with tire issues for days. I say YES, replace that walmart tire.

I am assuming your vehicle is FWD?

Uneven wear to the other tires due to different tread patterns and tread height.

Possibly the wheel alignment would be off as well.

Not sure what it would do to your electronic stabilization stuff.

All in all, if you''re going to replace one, replace the other side as well. Is it worth however much you spent on the tire or even MORE money on future issues you have no idea you may be causing?

But I am not an expert, just what I've been dealing with my car! haha Good luck!

BTW, most tires have a warranty even if you hit a nail they will fix it. I am hoping you kept that bridgestone tire and take it back to the dealer and see what they can do!

Last edited by aznkorboi; 03-27-16 at 05:15 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old 03-27-16, 05:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) If its bothering you this much im guessing your itching to get that same tire replacement?
2) Mixing tires shouldnt be a problem, its not like your mixing an all terrain with a summer tire etc
3) If leasing I`d switch before returninh
4) Unless you had road hazard or similar warranty the bridgestone tire is worthless
Old 03-27-16, 02:49 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
I was on a long trip and noticed my left rear tire pressure on the TPMS info screen was gradually going down. I made it to the next town out in the boonies, miles from a Lexus dealer or bigger city, but it did have a Walmart with a tire center. Thought it would just be a flat, but they showed me where the piece of spike like metal entered the tire was outside the tread lines so was irreparable. They didn’t have, or could even order, my original Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 235/55R20 102V tire. They did have a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 235/55R20 102H in stock. I called the other 2 tire shops in town and 1 of them could get my Bridgestone, but it would take 5 days to get it. I didn’t want pay for 5 nights in a hotel so I went ahead and got the Pirelli at Walmart. I had 1900 miles on the Bridgestone's at the time of replacement. Now after the long trip home I have 3100 miles on the 3 Bridgestone's with the 1 Pirelli having 1200 miles.

My question is, even though the Pirelli is probably just as good a tire and the same size, it has a different tread pattern, as well as a different speed rating. Should I take a loss on the new Pirelli I bought and replace it with the same OEM Bridgestone”s as my other 3 tires? I just now read in the manual to not mix tires so I’m thinking yes.
Your OEM was Bridgestone? Mine came with Michelin Premier LTX. it is not good idea to mix with different tire on AWD. If FWD then still better to replace all four with same tire but if you can't least replace in pair.
Old 03-27-16, 03:44 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the Pirelli in the rear and that is it!
Old 03-27-16, 06:05 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If FWD no problem. If you have AWD be careful. There is a point that you have to replace all tires in many AWD's. I'd find out from the dealer what tread difference the RX can handle before you risk damage to the AWD. My daughter had to replace all tires on her Accura with only 6,500 miles and a sidewall issue like yours. I initially called BS but found out the dealer was right. The only other solution is to have the new tire turned and trimmed to same tread depth.
Old 03-27-16, 06:15 PM
techgirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TomTom74 - is your RX a Canadian build? My RX is from Japan and has the Bridgestones. The Canadian RXs that I've seen seem to have the Michelins. I've always been a Michelin user. We have the Premier LTX on the SOs Acura RDX and like them and Michelin's design goal of safe when new, safe when worn. However, it is nice to hear from RXOwner that after 6K miles they're pleased with the Bridgestones. At the moment, I'm inclined to switch to the Michelin when the Bridgestones need replacement, but that'll depend on my experience with them

go3Ds - I'm with TomTom74 on this one. I've always understood that you absolutely never mix tire specs on an axle and should avoid mixing tire types on any wheel position with AWD/4WD. Some tire shops (money motivated?) will refuse to even replace a single tire with same spec on an AWD/4WD because of the potential difference in tread depth; however, I once had a dealer service tech, irreparably damage one of my tires pulling the previous SUV that I had onto an alignment rack. Their solution was to just replace the one tire. Of course, all four tires were relatively new - approx 3 months. Anyway, to your dilemma, I've always understood that you should never mix tire specs on an axle and should avoid mixing tire specs at any wheel position with a AWD/4WD. Of course, if I were facing the situation that you had and running on the spare (a case of mixing tire specs on an axle) were not feasible, I would have done the same thing and put on a new proper sized tire as compatible as possible. I'd have hated having to do it, but I'd have done it. Now, once I was back home, I'd replace the tire with one that matched the other tires.

Good luck in trying to determine the course of action best for you.

Last edited by techgirl; 03-27-16 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 06:58 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by techgirl
TomTom74 - is your RX a Canadian build? My RX is from Japan and has the Bridgestones. The Canadian RXs that I've seen seem to have the Michelins. I've always been a Michelin user. We have the Premier LTX on the SOs Acura RDX and like them and Michelin's design goal of safe when new, safe when worn. However, it is nice to hear from RXOwner that after 6K miles they're pleased with the Bridgestones. At the moment, I'm inclined to switch to the Michelin when the Bridgestones need replacement, but that'll depend on my experience with them
Yes, it's a Canadian Build. It was special order so I had choice of Canadian or Japanese, but I didn't want to wait for 4~6 Months on made in Japan, even I'm a Japanese. LOL

I really like Michelin Premer LTX, so that when I put aftermarket Wheel, I went with 265/50r20 Premer LTX
Old 03-27-16, 07:33 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies so far.
I was a little nervous putting the Pirelli on my 450h AWD, but all the Walmart guys said I was fine. I would have probably made the 3 hour drive to the closest big city if they had my Bridgestone in stock, that is if I had a full size spare. No way would I risk driving the small size spare tire the recommended 50mph, and for that long on the Interstate. I tried calling my dealer yesterday (Saturday) in Phoenix area and also here in Tucson, but no reply so left a message. Will find out what they recommend tomorrow, as well as a couple tire dealers. I do know I will use the Lexus 12 month/12,000 mile wheel alignment and balance warranty at my local Lexus dealer once I get the tire situation resolved.
Old 03-27-16, 07:54 PM
echo2400
Driver School Candidate

I would replace it with the same OEM Bridgestone. Take the hit and don't take a chance especially an AWD. Water will be slung out of the tire at different rates and will probably get worse over time. I would worry about hydroplaning. Snow handling will be different tho that might not be a problem for you. With all the technology i would be afraid it would throw a monitor out of whack.
Old 03-27-16, 08:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Isn't the AWD system on the 350, FWD biased most of the time until traction is lost, so using different tires (with same specs) on each axle would be ok for most conditions? I assume many switch to winter tires for when it gets snowy, and the AWD system activates. I agree with others that tires should be changed in pairs, especially when original tires have been used for awhile. Since the 450h has a electric motor mounted to the rear, I'd assume that it would be AWD more of the time, so having all four tires match is crucial.
Old 03-29-16, 02:10 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Called my Lexus dealer in the Phoenix area where I purchased my RX 450h AWD and they said most definitely replace the new Pirelli with a matching OEM Bridgestone as the other 3. My local Lexus dealer however in the Tucson area said I would be fine with the Pirelli.

I’ve decided to go with replacing the Pirelli tire with the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 235/55R20 102V to match my other 3 tires. Will purchase at a local tire store (Discount Tire) which is $21 cheaper than the Lexus quote I got after installation, balance and tax, plus they are giving me $50 trade in for the Pirelli where Lexus would not. They also did a tread wear measurement and will be minimal difference, plus everything else will now match up. Must not be a popular 20 inch tire yet, as they had to order for Friday. Lexus would have also had to order, as well as the places I called before having to get the Pirelli in the first place while far from home. Think everything should be good now.
Old 04-06-21, 10:59 AM
HungGBA
Driver School Candidate

Smile Change tire: Michelin to replace Bridgestone

Hi,
I’m new here. My RX will need to change 2 front wheels. Now I am having 2 new and 2 old Bridgestone, should I replace 2 old with new Michelin and replace 2 new Bridge later or I have to replace all to Michelin. Please give advice.
Also is there any good shop near Sunnyvale, CA to change my tires.
Thanks,

Last edited by HungGBA; 04-06-21 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 11:08 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

You need to be careful to avoid having tires of different diameters on your RX, if it is AWD -- you can shorten the life of the transfer gear case. Also, mixing tire brands will likely result in different traction characteristics, which might be very exciting in your occasional California rain. Your cheapest solution, sad to say, is probably to replace the old Bridgestones with new Bridgestones to match the two you just got. If you want to change to Michelins, then you probably need to spring for all four, and see if you can sell the two new Bridgestones that are on the car privately.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Cocal (04-06-21), coolbrazz (04-06-21)

Quick Reply: Bad tire replaced with a different brand.