RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Should I buy or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 03:52 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy or wait?

I am in the market for a SUV and after multiple test drives of various vehicles I have it down to the 2016 Lexus RX 350.

This will be my first brand new luxury vehicle purchase. Added to that I am shooting for a first year model so I have a couple questions ...

1. Is there any chance that Lexus might change the front of the vehicle (tone down the grill etc.) for 2017 or 2018. I know it's not public information but what's your guess.

2. My budget allows for a new base model. Should I rather wait for 6 months (or a year) to get loaded ones that are used / CPO? I assume they will fall within my budget. By loaded I mean optional active safety features (auto braking, collision mitigation etc.) Are they truly useful? Just for reference I've been driving for 17+ years w/o any accidents.

3. Would you recommend another car instead?

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-25-16, 04:01 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt if Lexus will change anything on the 2017 other than minor changes like the wheels or one or two small technology updates.

I doubt you would save much money be buying a slightly used RX. CPO ones are usually very expensive for a used car.

A base RX is still a very nice SUV. I think the base is actually a very good value. I have a Premium package eqp'd RX (52k MSRP), but would have been very happy with the base one for 8 or 9k less.
Old 03-25-16, 05:21 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by roblim
I doubt if Lexus will change anything on the 2017 other than minor changes like the wheels or one or two small technology updates.

I doubt you would save much money be buying a slightly used RX. CPO ones are usually very expensive for a used car.

A base RX is still a very nice SUV. I think the base is actually a very good value. I have a Premium package eqp'd RX (52k MSRP), but would have been very happy with the base one for 8 or 9k less.
I looked up for 2015 CPO's and your're right. There are hardly any available and those are pretty expensive (and this is for an older model.) for used ones.

Agreed. The base is definitely a good value purchase but perhaps won't fetch much upon re-sale. My intention is to keep this for 10 years though (this will replace a car I bought new 14 years ago).
Old 03-25-16, 07:17 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Two things
Prices will be better just before or as 2017's hit dealers.
Waiting for a 17 and "December to Remember" pricing might be a good move. Even Lexus will have some first year bugs/issues.
Old 03-26-16, 08:53 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NRX
I looked up for 2015 CPO's and your're right. There are hardly any available and those are pretty expensive (and this is for an older model.) for used ones.

Agreed. The base is definitely a good value purchase but perhaps won't fetch much upon re-sale. My intention is to keep this for 10 years though (this will replace a car I bought new 14 years ago).
If you are keeping this car for 10 years go for at least the premium package. That is a long time to keep a vehicle.
Old 03-26-16, 09:42 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are keeping this car for 10 years go for at least the premium package. That is a long time to keep a vehicle.
And I would also add the Safety Package. I believe it is only $600+.
Old 03-26-16, 09:59 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
1. Is there any chance that Lexus might change the front of the vehicle (tone down the grill etc.) for 2017 or 2018. I know it's not public information but what's your guess.
I'm with you, also waiting for the grill to be toned down, we'd probably have to wait a few years though.
Old 03-26-16, 11:50 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wasjr
And I would also add the Safety Package. I believe it is only $600+.
Yes. I should clarify. When I said premium package I meant all the other options that usually come on a premium package car. Msrp is around 52k.
Old 03-26-16, 12:51 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by tqh
I'm with you, also waiting for the grill to be toned down, we'd probably have to wait a few years though.
On that note ... perhaps now would be a good time to try out one of the Germans by leasing for 3 years?
Old 03-27-16, 08:57 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NRX
On that note ... perhaps now would be a good time to try out one of the Germans by leasing for 3 years?
If you are going to try an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, leasing is the only smart way to go.

There is (i think) zero chance that Lexus will tone down the grill. If you look at the concepts that are being shown right now, they all have huge predator style grills. That look is here to stay. I will say that it has grown on me over time. I like it when it is more mellow, as on the previous RX or 2010 ES, but the current RX looks good to me.

It is not nearly as bad as Acura's beak, which Honda is finally phasing out. That is atrocious.
Old 03-27-16, 09:21 AM
NRX
Driver

If you are going to try an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, leasing is the only smart way to go.

There is (i think) zero chance that Lexus will tone down the grill. If you look at the concepts that are being shown right now, they all have huge predator style grills. That look is here to stay. I will say that it has grown on me over time. I like it when it is more mellow, as on the previous RX or 2010 ES, but the current RX looks good to me.

It is not nearly as bad as Acura's beak, which Honda is finally phasing out. That is atrocious.
Thanks Roblim! I am with you about leasing when it comes to German makes. I tried going the CPO route to minimize depreciation but even that didn't bolster my confidence.

Honestly speaking the grill never looked too bad to me. And it's only grown to look bolder with an appeal towards luxury IMHO. Luxury cars need to stand out in the crowd and this new grill definitely is in line with the German makes (look at the size of Mercedes star these days). Gone are the days of understated luxury. In fact, the older Lexi are starting to look more like mainstream regular cars now.

Like you said, the fact that Lexus continues to bring out newer models with this grill certainly shows they're confident they're on the right path.
Old 03-27-16, 10:10 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the grill was hideous when I first saw the pictures last year. But after seeing the real thing up close it began to grow on me.
It's a nice feeling walking to your car and seeing people gathered around admiring it. I used to think the previous model was a classic look but after having this one for a couple of months I agree that the previous model looks dated on the roads.
Old 03-27-16, 10:35 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
I am in the market for a SUV and after multiple test drives of various vehicles I have it down to the 2016 Lexus RX 350.

This will be my first brand new luxury vehicle purchase. Added to that I am shooting for a first year model so I have a couple questions ...

2. My budget allows for a new base model. Should I rather wait for 6 months (or a year) to get loaded ones that are used / CPO? I assume they will fall within my budget. By loaded I mean optional active safety features (auto braking, collision mitigation etc.) Are they truly useful? Just for reference I've been driving for 17+ years w/o any accidents.

3. Would you recommend another car instead?

Thanks for your time!
1. No chance, the RX is selling well and the grill is expanding through the lineup now.

2. You won't find many CPOs on this generation for a couple years, basically once the leases start to return there will suddenly be many available. Lexus holds their value too well anyway. My cars have been used Germans, CPO on my current one. The new prices are hard to justify IMO. I find the active safety systems annoying, mine has too many false alarms. I do like park assistance though. Rear/Surround view and automatic parallel parking are nice. Parking sensors are annoying, like loud beeps are the only way to communicate distance.

If you are ready to buy now I would look at dealer inventory and see what the lower end models have. If that's above the budget just go test drive the one you want, tell them you really only have the budget for the base price. Say you're ready to buy, but you'd need the price to come down and leave. If they want to deal they will. The worst thing that happens is that you wait. Maybe mention if you can't find an RX in your price range you're going to see what the XC90 T5 with just standard equipment is like when it comes out.

3. Would have to know your needs and wants. Seating Capacity? Performance?
Old 03-27-16, 08:25 PM
echo2400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in the next few years all cars will have the safety stop function mandatory. I hated the photos of the grill but after seeing it with the other angles I now prefer it. I don't see it changing soon. The extras are great if you can afford it especially if you plan to keep it for a long time. But they add up fast. You will not get a great deal now but later in the year you may get a discount. You may check at the end of the month sometimes they need to meet a quota. Used is the best for the $ and if you don't like the 16 grill what about a used 15? I have a 14 that I payed $59,000, 2 years 40,000 miles later they offered $29,000 trade in. If you don't put a lot of miles an extended warranty may be worth the cost. They say you can get them cheaper by going outside dealer but make sure you understand what it covers. I've owned a 2004 and 2014 and it's the only one I'm considering. You can have it serviced at Toyota for 1/2 the cost. Or you can service it yourself if you keep your records and recites. Good luck.
Old 03-27-16, 08:52 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

The new RX is a wonderful small crossover except for the prederator grille. My wife thinks it makes the car cheap looking. Her girl friend just picked up a Murano loaded out the door for a tad under $40,000. It has all of the bells and whistles.

In my community where we have at least 15 RX350's pre 2015 not to mention l am not counting the RX 300's and 330's going back to 1999's.

Not one 2016 and based on what l see around there are very few 2016's. They are sitting with a lot of the new RX's.

My choice is the following;

New Mercedes GLC, Range Rover Discovery maybe the Volvo.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Should I buy or wait?