RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear passenger vents not working

Old 03-15-16, 11:45 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear passenger vents not working

Another couple was riding with us last week and said the AC wasn't blowing out of the rear vents like it was from the front. They and I both made sure they were open, and I couldn't find much about it in the owner's manual. Does anyone know if there's a setting that needs changing? I'll mention it during my 5K service which is coming up, unless I can figure it out.
Old 03-15-16, 12:12 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you looked in the climate menu? I never use the back seat but I think there is a setting that turn the rear ac off and on.
Old 03-15-16, 03:04 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The A/C system for the rear is dumb. It defaults with the fan motors to off. There is button on the cluster you have to press to enable air to make it to the back vents. I actually hate this feature.

Rear passenger vents not working-2016-lexus-rx-first-drive-10-1280x720.jpg

Last edited by darkoozy; 03-15-16 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cpatel82 (03-27-21)
Old 03-15-16, 03:33 PM
dfc350
Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Have you looked in the climate menu? I never use the back seat but I think there is a setting that turn the rear ac off and on.
The only climate settings there were for front seat heaters, smog control, and setting AC to automatic. I noticed that I probably didn't have that set to ON so that may be it. I'll need to test it out.
Old 03-15-16, 03:47 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dfc350
The only climate settings there were for front seat heaters, smog control, and setting AC to automatic. I noticed that I probably didn't have that set to ON so that may be it. I'll need to test it out.
Its probably it...I ran into the same issue. Automatic setting will still default the back seat fans to off.
Old 03-15-16, 04:23 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Definitely make sure S-flow is turned off. It is the button that darkoozy highlighted above. S-flow turns off the vents in the back.
Old 03-15-16, 09:20 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
Its probably it...I ran into the same issue. Automatic setting will still default the back seat fans to off.
From page 496 of RX owner's manual:

■ S-FLOW mode

In S-FLOW mode, priority for the airflow is given to the front seats, reducing the airflow and air conditioning effect on the rear seats.

If a passenger is not detected in the front passenger seat, priority for the air- flow will be given to the driver's seat only.

In this case, the temperature indicator for the front passenger side will turn off. S-FLOW mode will be activated automatically according to the set temperature, outside temperature, etc. (P. 502)

The indicator comes on when S-FLOW mode is on.

From page 502:

■ Operation of S-FLOW mode

In automatic mode, S-FLOW mode will be turned off if a rear door has been opened and closed. To activate S-FLOW mode again, press [the button Darkoozy highlighted above].

If I am reading it correctly, it seems that S-FLOW is always on [if climate control is in automatic mode] unless someone sits in the passenger seat, or if a rear door has been opened and closed. But dfc350's rear seat passengers had to have opened a rear door to get there...which should have turned off S-FLOW and directed air to the rear vents. Unless climate control was not in auto mode...?

As for why Lexus did this, I wonder if the default of keeping JUST the driver cool (unless there's a passenger in front or in back) helps with MPG (cuts down on A/C load?). Oh well, it will take a bigger brain than mine to explain it.

Last edited by winsalem; 03-15-16 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added one wword
Old 03-16-16, 01:47 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The default turning the back AC off is a feature in my opinion. I am betting the most rear 4RX seats are empty on average and AC is not required.
Old 03-16-16, 04:08 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

My observation is the rear fans are OFF even with a passenger in the front seat (no one in the back, doors never opened). I have on several occasions had to disable s-flow to get rear fans going if no one is in the back. In my mind it helps cool the entire vehicle faster with full circulation even if no one is in back. I still think its a dumb feature and should be optional.
The following users liked this post:
ci4me (09-05-18)
Old 03-16-16, 01:32 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

My observation is the rear fans are OFF even with a passenger in the front seat (no one in the back, doors never opened). I have on several occasions had to disable s-flow to get rear fans going if no one is in the back. In my mind it helps cool the entire vehicle faster with full circulation even if no one is in back. I still think its a dumb feature and should be optional.
I agree...dumb feature. I might have $200 worth of Co$tco steaks in the cargo net. Might like for them to share the air. And how about folks who travel with a dog in the cargo area?

[I'll add this to my dumb feature list, along with the "Radar Cruise Control" switch which you hafta hold down until the "regular" cruise control is enabled. The "radar" version has nearly gotten me rear-ended when a driver cuts in front of me, RX hits the "auto-brake" and the car(s) behind me don't stop as quickly as I do.]
Old 03-16-16, 01:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If it's like S Flow in my GS, you can just turn it off. You don't have to use it.
Old 03-16-16, 02:04 PM
dfc350
Driver

The A/C system for the rear is dumb. It defaults with the fan motors to off. There is button on the cluster you have to press to enable air to make it to the back vents. I actually hate this feature.

Attachment 381755
This did it.
Old 03-16-16, 02:42 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
If it's like S Flow in my GS, you can just turn it off. You don't have to use it.
You can only turn it off every time you get in the vehicle. Its not a permanent setting to disable. If its different on the GS you are lucky.
Old 03-16-16, 02:43 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dfc350
This did it.
Awesome! Glad it worked!
Old 03-16-16, 02:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You can only turn it off every time you get in the vehicle. Its not a permanent setting to disable. If its different on the GS you are lucky.
Then I agree that it's silly. In the GS I can just always leave it off (though I always leave it on).

Perhaps it's in the LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) options and can be reconfigured?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear passenger vents not working