RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How do you mount front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 09:21 AM
rx16noob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attached mine the same way hon3kong did. The OEM bracket has two hooks on top and when aligned against the grill the hooks will grab one of the slats and stay in place. It's pretty secure for me so far.

The two screws that came with my OEM bracket would have been too short if those are the same screws to be used to secure the bracket against the grill. I use those to secure the plate against the bracket.

My Lexus dealership still insists that I need to drill two holes and I told them I'll take my chances
Old 04-22-16, 09:54 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rx16noob
I attached mine the same way hon3kong did. The OEM bracket has two hooks on top and when aligned against the grill the hooks will grab one of the slats and stay in place. It's pretty secure for me so far.

The two screws that came with my OEM bracket would have been too short if those are the same screws to be used to secure the bracket against the grill. I use those to secure the plate against the bracket.

My Lexus dealership still insists that I need to drill two holes and I told them I'll take my chances
I have the F Sport model with a different grill. The screws for mine are in the middle (vertically) of my bracket and there are no "hooks" that grab on to the grill itself. The screws that came with it are definitely long enough to attach to the grill but too big to secure the plate on to the bracket. Perhaps the non-F Sport models are different.
Old 05-05-16, 07:30 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default Rx front plate..

Can someone tell me how the front license plate attaches to the RX? My IS 350 simply screwed a bracket into the plastic bumper and then the plate attached to the bracket...I hope things are better now for those of us who don't choose to run front plate (even if our state 'requires' it).
Old 05-05-16, 11:35 PM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pretty much if its an f sport it will screw in and if its a regular seems to clip in to a spot
Old 07-24-16, 12:47 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2016 RX 350 front bracket just snaps on the top of the first grill slat above where the solid slats stop. Seems very firm and solid. I am not mounting a plate atm, so took it off. The screws provided are short and don't seem to turn into the threads easily to mount plate to bracket without cross threading. But, didn't try to actually screw them in. The bracket is about one-quarter to half inch wider on either end then my plate. And plate is taller than bracket. So, part of plate extends below bracket. Not looking like a safe method for going thru car washes. But, bracket color seems to match grill color.

I will wait for my first warning or ticket before pursuing this.

EDIT: Saw where the two dimples are on the bracket and slat for drilling and using the provided screws to attach to the top flat, horizontal slat. I would need to drill holes in plate to better attach the lower part of plate to bracket to keep from being bent by long, vertical cloths in carwash.carwash.

Last edited by rugmankc; 07-24-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 04:22 AM
Sox575
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rugmankc
My 2016 RX 350 front bracket just snaps on the top of the first grill slat above where the solid slats stop. Seems very firm and solid. I am not mounting a plate atm, so took it off. The screws provided are short and don't seem to turn into the threads easily to mount plate to bracket without cross threading. But, didn't try to actually screw them in. The bracket is about one-quarter to half inch wider on either end then my plate. And plate is taller than bracket. So, part of plate extends below bracket. Not looking like a safe method for going thru car washes. But, bracket color seems to match grill color.

I will wait for my first warning or ticket before pursuing this.

EDIT: Saw where the two dimples are on the bracket and slat for drilling and using the provided screws to attach to the top flat, horizontal slat. I would need to drill holes in plate to better attach the lower part of plate to bracket to keep from being bent by long, vertical cloths in carwash.carwash.
I went back to the dealer and they put it on for me because I didn't want to mess it up.
Old 07-28-16, 09:14 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rugmankc
My 2016 RX 350 front bracket just snaps on the top of the first grill slat above where the solid slats stop.
+1. To put it another way, look into the grill and look for the bottom-most slat where air can get into the engine, that is where the protruding hooks on the plate frame snap in. Just put those hooks through that slat and snap the frame in, then if you need to, you can slide it left or right to center it.
Old 08-08-16, 06:40 PM
PMJCB3
Driver School Candidate

Default Front License Plate Mount Odd Sized

I have a 2016 RX350 F-Sport, and the front license plate mount that came with the car is wider and shorter than our CA License Plates (and hence and license plate frames). How has anyone else dealt with this issue? And since I'm in CA, the front license plate is required :-(

Thanks Guys!

Joe
Old 08-08-16, 07:10 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PMJCB3
I have a 2016 RX350 F-Sport, and the front license plate mount that came with the car is wider and shorter than our CA License Plates (and hence and license plate frames). How has anyone else dealt with this issue? And since I'm in CA, the front license plate is required :-(

Thanks Guys!

Joe
But the screw holes are the same right?
Old 08-08-16, 07:26 PM
PMJCB3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Radio88
But the screw holes are the same right?
Yes, the screw holes are in the right location, but the mount extends beyond the sides of the license plate, and the bottom of the license plate extends below the mount. It is very unseemly.
Old 08-08-16, 07:35 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Yes, the screw holes are in the right location, but the mount extends beyond the sides of the license plate, and the bottom of the license plate extends below the mount. It is very unseemly.
I see what you mean-I can tell you that the one I got is just right with relation to the plate, so my guess is they may have accidentally given you one that was meant for a foreign plate? See if your dealer can scare up a normal one for you.
Old 08-08-16, 07:47 PM
PMJCB3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Radio88
I see what you mean-I can tell you that the one I got is just right with relation to the plate, so my guess is they may have accidentally given you one that was meant for a foreign plate? See if your dealer can scare up a normal one for you.
Okay thanks! I'll do just that.

Just kind of weird that a dealership in the US would have a mount that doesn't fit US plates.
Old 08-08-16, 08:01 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Okay thanks! I'll do just that.

Just kind of weird that a dealership in the US would have a mount that doesn't fit US plates.
I agree but I was guessing. Either way, you can't go wrong getting a more fitting one from them
Old 08-08-16, 10:03 PM
lkleyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Sport Tow hook?

Can anyone please confirm if the F-Sport has a front tow hook connection? Was planning on using a tow hook licence plate holder, but can't seem to find it on the car or in the manual.
Old 12-06-17, 05:33 PM
jeroldheis
Driver School Candidate

Default Install front license plate holder on Lexus 2017 RX350

I have the plastic Lexus supplied front license plate holder. Ibelieve I have it in the right place but how do I install the two screws that fasten it to the car?

Quick Reply: How do you mount front license plate?