RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)

Old 01-08-17, 11:58 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just ordered the Curt for my 2016 and got it for $124 delivered. Will post once it is installed.
Old 01-09-17, 01:28 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Curt Hitch Install on 2016 RX 450h

I installed my Curt hitch on our 2016 RX 450h yesterday. It took about 2 hrs start to finish & I wasn't in any hurry. Since I'm not real familiar with the RX, I took my time rechecking everything. The biggest chunk of time went to trimming the plastic panel under the hitch. I used an Exacto knife & a Leatherman serrated knife blade to make my cuts. I highly recommend the Curt design over the others that require the exhaust system to be moved. There is ZERO cutting on the bumper.

Old 01-09-17, 02:24 PM
Lsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I installed my Curt hitch on our 2016 RX 450h yesterday. It took about 2 hrs start to finish & I wasn't in any hurry. Since I'm not real familiar with the RX, I took my time rechecking everything. The biggest chunk of time went to trimming the plastic panel under the hitch. I used an Exacto knife & a Leatherman serrated knife blade to make my cuts. I highly recommend the Curt design over the others that require the exhaust system to be moved. There is ZERO cutting on the bumper.

I will be installing mines soon, what plastic panel are you referring to? I thought there was no cutting required, the installation instructions says to just bolt on 3 screws on each side.
Old 01-10-17, 03:16 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsport
I will be installing mines soon, what plastic panel are you referring to? I thought there was no cutting required, the installation instructions says to just bolt on 3 screws on each side.
I thought this as well.
Old 01-10-17, 04:40 AM
uhaveit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ gadgetman1
I am wondering if we need to put back the tow loop as you did .

Curt's instructions says remove and return to owner .

Any thoughts ??
Old 01-10-17, 09:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

The plastic panel that is directly under the cargo floor has to be removed first & cut on the RX 450h to allow the receiver tube of the hitch to protrude. I'm not sure if the RX 350 has the same panel. There was no metal cutting or drilling whatsoever. The plastic panel has about 12 plastic fasteners & screws holding it on. It comes off very easy, but there is one hidden on the driver's side behind where the mud flap would go.

I kept the tow hook since the original bolts were long enough to go through both pieces. Does anyone know if it is dangerous to keep the hook on as I did? I may contact Curt today, just to make sure it's safe.
Old 01-17-17, 01:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by uhaveit
@ gadgetman1
I am wondering if we need to put back the tow loop as you did .

Curt's instructions says remove and return to owner .

Any thoughts ??
I went back through the hitch installation instructions & found the following: "Hitch will be clamped between tow loop and frame rail if the tow loop is being reinstalled." To me, this says it can be reused or discarded. I chose to leave it on since the factory bolts were plenty long enough to accommodate the reinstallation of the tow loop. See pic of instructions below:

Old 01-18-17, 06:22 PM
c5bob
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailer hitch receiver on 2017 RX350 base

i have searched the forum for info on after market receivers for my '17 RX - to no avail. Amazon says the Curt and Draw-Tite receivers that fit the 2016 will not work on the 2017, while etrailer and other suppliers say '16 and '17 installs are identical. Have any of you installed a receiver on a 2017? Thanks
Old 01-18-17, 06:45 PM
uhaveit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5bob
i have searched the forum for info on after market receivers for my '17 RX - to no avail. Amazon says the Curt and Draw-Tite receivers that fit the 2016 will not work on the 2017, while etrailer and other suppliers say '16 and '17 installs are identical. Have any of you installed a receiver on a 2017? Thanks

Curt hitch works perfectly for 2017 and I purchased from etrailer. Installation was a breeeze and fit is perfect

Check this link for dedicated thread on aftermarket trailer hitch
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ternative.html
The following users liked this post:
c5bob (01-19-17)
Old 01-19-17, 10:16 AM
c5bob
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks uhaveit! Much appreciated.
Old 01-24-17, 09:02 PM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well doing it by yourself isn't difficult - rather just physically demanding trying to balance the hitch and screw in a bolt by hand... Patience, will power, and swearing goes a long way.
Old 01-25-17, 11:25 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by trama09
Well doing it by yourself isn't difficult - rather just physically demanding trying to balance the hitch and screw in a bolt by hand... Patience, will power, and swearing goes a long way.
If you're not a strong guy, you'll have a hard time torquing the bolts to proper spec. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for people who have bad backs as I can easily see old dudes throw out their back trying to jerk the torque wrench.
Old 01-26-17, 06:26 PM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericsan13
If you're not a strong guy, you'll have a hard time torquing the bolts to proper spec. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for people who have bad backs as I can easily see old dudes throw out their back trying to jerk the torque wrench.
Surprisingly torquing the bolts to 86lbs wasn't the hardest part for me. But (struggling) holding the hitch 12 inches over my face as I panic to find, fiddle, and hand screw in a bolt nearly caused me to have an aneurysm.
Old 01-27-17, 09:32 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

We used a lift to do the hitch install. I had an assistant holding one side of the hitch while I did the other side. For me, the hardest thing was trimming that damn plastic panel underneath. The template supplied is not even close. The trimming had to be done (with exacto-knife) overhead while it was in place, since the instructions had the dimensions so far off. I used a large torque wrench on the bolts & had no problem reaching the torque specs.
Old 01-27-17, 10:06 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by trama09
Surprisingly torquing the bolts to 86lbs wasn't the hardest part for me. But (struggling) holding the hitch 12 inches over my face as I panic to find, fiddle, and hand screw in a bolt nearly caused me to have an aneurysm.
I had my dad helping to hold it up, but the angle with the RX backed up onto ramps probably made it more difficult than if it were sitting on the floor.

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
We used a lift to do the hitch install. I had an assistant holding one side of the hitch while I did the other side. For me, the hardest thing was trimming that damn plastic panel underneath. The template supplied is not even close. The trimming had to be done (with exacto-knife) overhead while it was in place, since the instructions had the dimensions so far off. I used a large torque wrench on the bolts & had no problem reaching the torque specs.
I used a hacksaw and then sanded down the rough corners. Sounds like it would be a pain with a knife!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)