RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX with 22" wheels (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 08:46 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess that leads to the next question....has anybody lowered with 10.5' wheels yet?
Old 03-19-17, 03:08 PM
andre001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avoiding a Huge Fender Gap

Originally Posted by a56kuser
Wheels : VOSSEN VFS1
Size : 22"x10.5 all around
Offset: +42 Front +30 Back (See drescription below)
Tires: TOYO
Size : 265/35/22

This rim buying experience was pretty horrible and I guess it was partially my fault for not doing the proper research.
I went into a local reputable wheel shop to order these wheels..... All i said was I have a 2016 RX350 and
i want the Vossen VFS1 10.5 all around.
I left the shop guy to choose offset and wheels (big mistake)
A week later my rims come in and i go in for the install. They ordered me +42 Offsets all around.
+42 OFFSET WILL NOT FIT OUR RX350 w/out at least a 20mm spacer
The shop tried to sell me on the 20mm spacer but I just couldnt do it and I was already pretty pissed off at that point.
@darith that has been helping me throughout this ordeal mentioned they have a +30offset for my VFS1 22x10.5 So we ended up reaching a compromise and I had them reorder 2 more VFS1's (+30offset ) that will clear my back.
Couple weeks pass and I get no call so I follow up with them (they said Vossen forgot to ship out my order ) So i wait another 2 weeks and finally get them install today.

Here is the end results. I wasnt too happy with the end result because of that huge fender gap (see pics below)
Obviously I cant leave that huge of a fender gap so I will probably end up doing a 1 - 1 1/2 inch drop when springs are available (RSR is working on one right now)
The wheels drive nice and relatively quiet.... not as quiet as stock tho but im sure after a few weeks i will forget about it.
I hope this post helps guide you in the right direction and not the wrong direction i took.... if i were to redo it again id probably go w/ 265/40/22 tires instead.

DAT GAP DOE!
oh and the icing on the cake was they couldnt program my tpms cause their sensor didnt have a 2016 RX350 programmed on it.
Feel free to ask any other questions
Thanks for looking
@DARITH THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

*EDIT*
Also for those who are wondering about the road noise I hooked up an Decibel reader to my phone and recorded before an after from my dash board.
Road noise Normal stock 20" michellin tires was at 81DB average going approx 60mph on freeway
Road noise TOYO tires 22" was at 87DB average going approx 60mph on freeway (exact same route as above)
I just bought a 2017 RX 350 F Sport and was looking to so switch to a new set of wheels/tires. Wheels look really nice but I noticed the fender gap on your pics. What do you recommend to avoid these gaps?
Old 03-19-17, 03:18 PM
andre001
Driver School Candidate

Default New Wheels/Tires for 2017 RX 350 F Sport AWD

Need help picking new wheels/tires. I am trying to find the right 22 inch tires. With everything I read I am trying to avoid the fender gaps and at the same time stay close to a recommended alternatives. I was thinking wide tires and little fender gap. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-17, 09:10 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To avoid fender gap, you are definitely going to have to lower the vehicle.
Old 03-22-17, 12:11 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
To avoid fender gap, you are definitely going to have to lower the vehicle.
Correct, it's a must.

Originally Posted by andre001
Need help picking new wheels/tires. I am trying to find the right 22 inch tires. With everything I read I am trying to avoid the fender gaps and at the same time stay close to a recommended alternatives. I was thinking wide tires and little fender gap. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Yes I'm on 22" going on a lowering setup, but if I could do it over again to close up the gap more, I would do a slight step up in the tire height by 5mm (a member here is running this tire successfully and diameter variance from factory is at acceptable 4.02%, which isn't too drastic of a change) which is 265/45/R22.

I was also consider going to a wider tire by 10mm to a 275/45/R22 but haven't tested that setup yet.

To close up the gap you would need to go on a coil-over or air setup to the point where the RX would look like a larger hatchback than an SUV. The RSR Down springs give it just the right drop while still maintaining an SUV height stance. The other option is to go with a bodykit that has the lower fender flares (ex. Aimgain):
The following users liked this post:
vneville2 (01-21-24)
Old 03-22-17, 01:43 PM
andre001
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx looks great

Originally Posted by Darith
Correct, it's a must.

Yes I'm on 22" going on a lowering setup, but if I could do it over again to close up the gap more, I would do a slight step up in the tire height by 5mm (a member here is running this tire successfully and diameter variance from factory is at acceptable 4.02%, which isn't too drastic of a change) which is 265/45/R22.

I was also consider going to a wider tire by 10mm to a 275/45/R22 but haven't tested that setup yet.

To close up the gap you would need to go on a coil-over or air setup to the point where the RX would look like a larger hatchback than an SUV. The RSR Down springs give it just the right drop while still maintaining an SUV height stance. The other option is to go with a bodykit that has the lower fender flares (ex. Aimgain):
RX looks great exactly the way I would want mine to look. Do I have to lower mine to get the same look? I would rather not but just get the right tires/wheels. What is the exact tires specs and offset?
Another thing I was considering is to black out my RX just the one in the picture. Any idea the cost to black out the chrome?
Thanks a lot
Old 03-22-17, 02:34 PM
andre001
Driver School Candidate

RX looks great exactly the way I would want mine to look. Do I have to lower mine to get the same look? I would rather not but just get the right tires/wheels. What is the exact tires specs and offset?
Another thing I was considering is to black out my RX just the one in the picture. Any idea the cost to black out the chrome?
Thanks a lot
Old 03-22-17, 02:54 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

"To close up the gap you would need to go on a coil-over or air setup to the point where the RX would look like a HUGE hatchback than an SUV. "

Fixed that for ya
Old 04-19-17, 04:13 PM
714guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, it's a must.

Do you have a photo of your lowered Rx Darith? what springs do you have? How is the ride quality?

Thanks
Old 04-19-17, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default DarthRX on 265/45/22 w/Vossen VFS1

@andre001 I agree with Darith on the RSR Downs providing the best overall look while still providing the SUV height.

An alternative as well like he mentioned is taller profile tires. I also put 265/45/22 on my Vossen VFS1s on DarthRX and closes down the gap better.

LexNYC83 (03-14-20)
Old 04-19-17, 05:07 PM
a56kuser
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are some updated photos from my older post complaining about my wheel gap.

these updated pictures are with the RSR springs installed
*disclaimer* these pics should be taken with a grain of salt as I am running low profile tires (most members on here are running much thicker tires so the gap would be much less than my setup)

Last edited by a56kuser; 04-19-17 at 05:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by a56kuser:
CharmCtyIS (02-06-18), Darith (04-20-17), ericsan13 (06-01-17), FastFord (06-17-17), LexNYC83 (03-14-20)
Old 04-20-17, 04:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Here are some updated photos from my older post complaining about my wheel gap.

these updated pictures are with the RSR springs installed
*disclaimer* these pics should be taken with a grain of salt as I am running low profile tires (most members on here are running much thicker tires so the gap would be much less than my setup)

You mentioned in a prior post you may have gone a different size. However, currently, these pics are with 265/35/22 Toyos (on the RSR Downs) right?
Old 04-20-17, 10:53 PM
a56kuser
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You mentioned in a prior post you may have gone a different size. However, currently, these pics are with 265/35/22 Toyos (on the RSR Downs) right?
affirmative.... when these toyo tires run low on tread I may go to a slightly bigger size.... maybe 265/40/22??
Old 04-23-17, 06:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

affirmative.... when these toyo tires run low on tread I may go to a slightly bigger size.... maybe 265/40/22??

Yep, 265/40/22 is "right-sized" in overall diameter to stock.
FastFord (06-17-17)
Old 06-26-17, 10:37 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Potential set-up...2016 RX350 F sport

Vossen VSF-1 22 x 9 ET 30 Matte graphite
Toyo Proxies ST2 265-45R-22 109V XL

Logic....or not...Going with the 45R closes the gap just enough and should make the ride slightly less firm than a 35 or 40. I don't really care about the ride, but would like to shrink the gap a bit more than stock. Yes I could lower it but am not going that route.

The ET of 30 balances the section width of the rim to the hub and should give me a slightly deeper concave look. ( I think)

The 9" is my conservative side to keep the tire on the outside of the rim, maybe a hair (2mm) of protection.

Not as aggressive setup as some, but ok for an old guy.

Any thoughts from those that have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4RX with 22" wheels (merged threads)