RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Any improvements to 2016 RX AWD system ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 10:12 AM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any improvements to 2016 RX AWD system ?

Has Lexus improved or make any significant tweaks to the AWD system ?

From these videos below, RX AWD sucks.

MDX vs RX

Winter testing
Old 02-09-16, 11:11 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Both the RXs in these videos are not F-Sport models, meaning they lack VDIM, a.k.a Lexus' best traction control system. I would like to see these tests done with VDIM as opposed to the RXs above that just have VSC.
Old 02-09-16, 12:11 PM
Scott007

I really hope so because this is absolutely pathetic. I'm going to follow this thread because if there is no improvements I am not purchasing this car. I feel absolutely disgusted about this four-wheel-drive system.
Old 02-09-16, 12:25 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott007
I really hope so because this is absolutely pathetic. I'm going to follow this thread because if there is no improvements I am not purchasing this car. I feel absolutely disgusted about this four-wheel-drive system.
Do you and ducRX both work for the same Acura dealership in California?
Old 02-09-16, 12:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If I am ever driving my RX up a 20% grade where only one side is icy, I'm sure I'll wish I had the MDX.

I kid, as the MDX is a good system, but seriously, my RX has been great in real world snow. No complaints. I believe the '16 system is the same as in my '13.
Old 02-09-16, 12:50 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I've seen these AWD comparison videos, and they all have different results. It makes me wonder if they rig it to make it look like their system is the best...such as disabling certain things in the other cars, putting special tires, etc.

IMO the AWD system in all these cars is adequate for most people in most conditions. These tests push them to a point where most buyers won't experience.
Old 02-09-16, 12:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ So true, dchar.

It's funny how much of an emphasis is always put on tires being more important than drive systems on CL, except when we want to disparage the Lexus AWD system on the RX. Can't have it both ways.

So to properly evaluate the AWD systems of these vehicles, I'd like to at least see what they do on the same tires, as they are such an important variable. I saw no mention of tires on these videos.
Old 02-09-16, 01:25 PM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Both the RXs in these videos are not F-Sport models, meaning they lack VDIM, a.k.a Lexus' best traction control system. I would like to see these tests done with VDIM as opposed to the RXs above that just have VSC.
Any link to the VDIM system so I can compare and read about it ?
Old 02-09-16, 01:30 PM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ So true, dchar.

It's funny how much of an emphasis is always put on tires being more important than drive systems on CL, except when we want to disparage the Lexus AWD system on the RX. Can't have it both ways.

So to properly evaluate the AWD systems of these vehicles, I'd like to at least see what they do on the same tires, as they are such an important variable. I saw no mention of tires on these videos.

That is true, but I am sure they test the vehicles the way they came from factory. Also the test on the metal rollers should not make any difference as far as winter tires is concern
Old 02-09-16, 01:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ducRX
That is true, but I am sure they test the vehicles the way they came from factory. Also the test on the metal rollers should not make any difference as far as winter tires is concern
But even with that said, for the 3rd gen RX, there were three different tire manufacturers (at least) delivered from the factory. I have no idea about the MDX. It's a variable that needs to be controlled to have test results provide real information about how the AWD system compare. It's like all of those videos where they show a RWD car in winter tires managing snow well, with an AWD in all seasons and floundering. It doesn't mean the RWD system is a better system in snow, it just shows that the tires were better.

And you are correct about the rollers with respect to tires, but my point is that's not a real world test.

I'm not saying the RX system is perfect, or that the MDX system isn't better, I'm just stating that in real world conditions, the RX system is capable. I have lots of experience with it in the snow, including on some very steep hills, and it has never left me stuck or disappointed. YMMV.
Old 02-09-16, 01:51 PM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

But even with that said, for the 3rd gen RX, there were three different tire manufacturers (at least) delivered from the factory. I have no idea about the MDX. It's a variable that needs to be controlled to have test results provide real information about how the AWD system compare. It's like all of those videos where they show a RWD car in winter tires managing snow well, with an AWD in all seasons and floundering. It doesn't mean the RWD system is a better system in snow, it just shows that the tires were better.

And you are correct about the rollers with respect to tires, but my point is that's not a real world test.

I'm not saying the RX system is perfect, or that the MDX system isn't better, I'm just stating that in real world conditions, the RX system is capable. I have lots of experience with it in the snow, including on some very steep hills, and it has never left me stuck or disappointed. YMMV.
From what I've read the the RX system is capable , but the SH-AWD is simply better. Take a look at the video with the metal rollers.
Old 02-09-16, 01:57 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott007
lmao! I doubt you'll ever intend to buy the car. From your signature you're in CA and since I'm also from CA how many weeks a year does it snow here and if you're truly buying a car for off-roading purposes like that you shouldn't be looking into the RX.
Old 02-09-16, 01:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ducRX
From what I've read the the RX system is capable , but the SH-AWD is simply better. Take a look at the video with the metal rollers.
No disagreement. As I just said:

I'm not saying the RX system is perfect, or that the MDX system isn't better
I watched the rollers video. It shows there is a way to trick the AWD system in the RX, but again, I don't see that as a real world test and I've never had that issue while driving my RX in the snow and ice. But I'll watch out for rollers on the road...
Old 02-09-16, 02:03 PM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc400
lmao! I doubt you'll ever intend to buy the car. From your signature you're in CA and since I'm also from CA how many weeks a year does it snow here and if you're truly buying a car for off-roading purposes like that you shouldn't be looking into the RX.
It does not snow is CA that often, but AWD is not just about snow, it is about slippery surfaces , rain, snow sand etc....
Old 02-09-16, 02:10 PM
ducRX
Driver School Candidate

No disagreement. As I just said:

I watched the rollers video. It shows there is a way to trick the AWD system in the RX, but again, I don't see that as a real world test and I've never had that issue while driving my RX in the snow and ice. But I'll watch out for rollers on the road...
Although you most likely will not encounter tough situations that the metal rollers simulate, I would would buy the SH-AWD system over Lexus AWD system for the same price. I however do like Lexus's interior better. I will save that purchase for a Lexus GS sedan and buy Acura's MDX SUV

Quick Reply: Any improvements to 2016 RX AWD system ?