RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Replacing a 3rd Gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 09:05 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Replacing a 3rd Gen RX

The lease on our RX450h will expire soon, and I'm getting ready to start looking into alternatives. We really like the RX (especially the size), but the new ones are bigger and more expensive. The NX is supposed to be pretty nice, but its smaller and I'm having trouble getting past the sound (inside the cabin) of the 4 cylinder engine. I haven't driven the hybrid version yet, but I expect a sound similar to my CT, and that isn't all that appealing, either. Nothing against 4 cylinder engines, but they seem to detract from the feeling of refinement that I like so much about Lexus. I admit that I might be a little over sensitive due in part to my CT experience.

So, I'm hoping that some current owners of the 4th gen RX will tell me what they like, and what they don't like so I can decide for myself on a test drive. What would you do differently?
Old 02-04-16, 09:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The 450h owners claim their RX is more quiet than the non-hybrid versions, not sure if it is so.

You really need to go and do a test ride as the new RX is a WHOPPER of an upgrade in my opinion.
Old 02-04-16, 09:17 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...od-or-bad.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0-in-snow.html
Old 02-04-16, 10:11 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks, bootman! These are pretty compelling!
Old 02-04-16, 10:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, I've driven the '16 350 and 450h and it's not as cavernous feeling as the 3RX IMO. No doubt the extra space is there. Backseat passengers will definitely appreciate the extra legroom. But it didn't feel bigger overall. It was almost more car-like in the cabin, maybe it has to do with losing that open space under the shifter and the linear dash. Cargo area is about the same. Rear bumper is higher though with a skimpy protector. The NX was on my short list since I wanted a smaller vehicle. I just couldn't get past the engine size and lack of features like HUD and ML. Don't get me wrong, the ride overall was pretty good in the NXt and NXh. But I knew I would miss the extra HPs and creature comforts I'm used to. Plus the NXh is priced pretty high IMO. The difference between my current 450h and the 450h F-Sport I ordered in December wasn't nearly as bad as previous gen upgrades.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-04-16, 12:50 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the engine on the NX200t. It's actually the best part of that vehicle. It is nothing like the CT engine. It has lots of power available. Very fun. Yes, it is a little noisy at idle. But once warmed up, it is a perfect match for the NX.

The things i did not like about the NX are: 1. Ride quality. You will feel every imperfection on the road. and 2. Cramped interior. The IS series and NX series are pretty similar. If you drive an IS and an NX you'll see that Lexus is aiming for the same target- sporty, young. But the RX is a different animal. It's a luxury SUV. Comfortable and refined.

I know a lot of people are buying NXs because they cost less than an RX, but they aren't anywhere near the same experience.
Old 02-06-16, 07:12 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2012 RX350 and we just replaced my wife's 2008 RX400H with a 2016 RX350 on black friday. I saw little difference between driving and sitting in the 2012 vs 2008 even if they were supposedly two different generations. The 2016 RX350 is a completely different car. The sitting position is different. I have only driven it a few times. I am still trying to get the seat adjusted for me. If I raise it to see over the hood/fenders, then I hit the roof when I get in and out. If I lower it, I feel like I can't see right. It reminds me of sitting in my mustang.
The driving experience is very different. This could be because of the radar cruise control. I use cruise control a lot and it took a while to get used to the new features (especially the lane keeping feature). Also the car is slightly bigger than the previous versions but it seems much bigger. The few times I put it in the garage, I was sure it wouldn't fit. I use the sensors a lot when pulling in the garage.
My wife has had trouble getting all the features adjusted to her liking. She is constantly reading the manuals to get things adjusted. Far more than either of us did for the previous two RXs.
The car is a technology wonder and it takes a while to learn everything. We are both technology sharp ( I am an EE with a lot of computer design experience, my wife is a technology junky) so lack of understanding of technology is not the issue.
We test drove both the NX and RX and chose the RX since the NX seemed small. Cramped seating and much less room behind the back seat.
I like the car and am waiting for more stock and a better price before replacing my 2012 RX with a 2016 RX. We have purchased 3 RXs from the same salesperson and he says better availability and a better discount should come in the spring.