RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 11:32 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Hi,
I'm seriously considering the 2016 RX(most likely the f-sport model). However, I want to know if there's any known issue I should be aware of. I know the vehicle is just released but if this thread keeps on getting updated then it would be useful.

When I was shopping for my 2011 GS, I wasn't aware of the brake caliper sticking problem. It only found out when the dealer wants $2000 for my last service because they saw the calipers in the rear were seized. This, apparently, is a common issue with the 3rd gen GS350.

I want to avoid such issue as early as possible as it will weigh in my purchase selections.
Old 02-01-16, 12:11 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a good thread to start!

Have only one issue.

When turning on the driver seat ventilation there is something hitting the fan inside the seat and it make a noise. There must be something hitting the blades as it increases when on speed 3 and decreases when on 1 or 2.

The worst thing is the offending fan or one of the fans is directly behind the drivers head and so close to your ears it would drive you nuts. I will likely not have Lexus fix as I do not want them to tear the seat apart and I seldom use the ventilation mode as it does not work well anyway. Heat works great and does not use any fans.

These ventilation fans used to be under the seat . . . looks like Lexus has moved them to INSIDE the seat.

Last edited by RXOwner; 02-01-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 06:49 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed the other day that there's a distortion in the windshield glass on the passenger side, about an inch above the dash for about 4-5 inches. It becomes noticeable when the car is in motion, but not as much when stopped... More of a nuisance than anything and I'm not willing ot get the windshield replaced for this. But have never seen this problem on any of the previous Lexus and Toyotas I've owned... Or the 100's of rentals I've driven over the years.
Old 02-01-16, 07:38 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The driver's door is heavy. I have to pull it hard to close it completely. It feels much heavier than my previous NX. It may also be out of alignment, but i kind of doubt that.

Last edited by roblim; 02-12-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 03:55 AM
oball2400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
I noticed the other day that there's a distortion in the windshield glass on the passenger side, about an inch above the dash for about 4-5 inches. It becomes noticeable when the car is in motion, but not as much when stopped... More of a nuisance than anything and I'm not willing ot get the windshield replaced for this. But have never seen this problem on any of the previous Lexus and Toyotas I've owned... Or the 100's of rentals I've driven over the years.
I also noticed windshield distoration on drivers side. Thought it was my new glasses, but now will take another look.
Old 02-02-16, 07:35 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

My 2016 has been in the shop for a week now. The air conditioning is making a "gurgling" noise. They brought their FTS in from Chicago who says it's "normal". I say it's not. We pulled another 2016 and it didn't make the noise and no car I have ever owned has made a noise like this. My issue is currently unresolved as they say they won't "fix" it. It also was throwing a "braking power low" warning. This would happen when the car was cold and had sat overnight. (I live in KY). They tell me it was losing pressure and a vacuum tube had to be replaced. There was another 2016 brought in after mine with the same issue. I'm currently very unhappy with the service.
Old 02-02-16, 08:38 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
My 2016 has been in the shop for a week now. The air conditioning is making a "gurgling" noise. They brought their FTS in from Chicago who says it's "normal". I say it's not. We pulled another 2016 and it didn't make the noise and no car I have ever owned has made a noise like this. My issue is currently unresolved as they say they won't "fix" it. It also was throwing a "braking power low" warning. This would happen when the car was cold and had sat overnight. (I live in KY). They tell me it was losing pressure and a vacuum tube had to be replaced. There was another 2016 brought in after mine with the same issue. I'm currently very unhappy with the service.
Write a detailed email to Lexus Corporate with your AC concerns and history at dealership. I bet you something will come out of it.
Old 02-02-16, 08:45 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
This is now a dealer issue since it is apparent they don't want to take care of you.
Not typical.
Old 02-02-16, 08:55 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Write a detailed email to Lexus Corporate with your AC concerns and history at dealership. I bet you something will come out of it.

I called Lexus Corporate and they called me back. Their response was "we stand by the FTS", do you want to institute a Lemon Law complaint? I'm fully aware that this does not rise to the level of a Lemon Law complaint at the moment. The representative is supposed to call me again today so I supposed I will ask for his supervisor.

I have also been in contact with the GM of the dealership. He is trying to contact the FTS from Chicago to see what he says. I told him that the guy had already deemed it "not abnormal" so I don't expect a different answer. When I inquired as to what happens next, he stated that he didn't have the power to make Lexus fix it. If the FTS didn't provide a solution, it would be out of his hands. I'm baffled as to how they can say it's "normal". We bought 2 cars and all the extra warranties from them in 24 hours!!! 2!! And this is the service you get???

I was so hoping I would find others with this same issue here so I had more examples to show them.
Old 02-12-16, 03:57 PM
Bavancena
Driver School Candidate

Mine is currently in service since last saturday, because one time i experienced it to be rough idling and got better after restarting the car. The original reason i went it is because I ran over something in the freeway and punctured my rear passenger side tire and hit the liner which lost a bolt.

My service adviser told me that they encountered that rough idling while in the shop, when they were about to have the car checked for alignment. So now I'm just waiting for them to find out what the cause, the last update is checking the MAF sensor, which they said needs to be taken out to be tested. If the sensor is not up to specs, they'll need to order a new one
Old 02-12-16, 04:19 PM
Scott007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To everybody that replies to this thread:

I understand that you might not want your seat torn apart to fix a ventilation fan. Or for your windshield to be removed, and a new one installed because of distortion. Please at least document all this with Lexus so they are aware of any defects with the car.

The first year of any redesign is always rough. Hopefully in 2017 they will get everything corrected.
Old 02-12-16, 04:23 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott007
To everybody that replies to this thread:

I understand that you might not want your seat torn apart to fix a ventilation fan. Or for your windshield to be removed, and a new one installed because of distortion. Please at least document all this with Lexus so they are aware of any defects with the car.

The first year of any redesign is always rough. Hopefully in 2017 they will get everything corrected.
Won't be much special about 2017 as 2nd half 2016s should be pretty darn adjusted for.
Old 02-12-16, 05:00 PM
barx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 350 AWD base. My main issue is with the transmission at low idle. But it's pretty well documented here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...us-speeds.html

I sincerely hope they do some update to fix the mapping in normal mode.

I also noticed that the driver's side door felt heavy initially, but I've gotten used to it now.
Old 02-12-16, 08:18 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barx
I have a 350 AWD base. My main issue is with the transmission at low idle. But it's pretty well documented here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...us-speeds.html

I sincerely hope they do some update to fix the mapping in normal mode.

I also noticed that the driver's side door felt heavy initially, but I've gotten used to it now.
The doors are heavy apparently due to compliance with upcoming stricter side impact protection regulations I am told.
Old 02-12-16, 09:08 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mdme
The doors are heavy apparently due to compliance with upcoming stricter side impact protection regulations I am told.

Maybe that's why my gas mileage is horrible...

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350