RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 11:53 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I just came back from the dealership - at first they said that it was the first they've seen the issue with the dash. Then another service advisor said that it happens randomly on RXs. They didn't try anything to cover it up but will keep me in the loop on what they hear back from Lexus.
Old 05-11-16, 01:11 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandy14
Looks like they went overboard on the pre delivery detail. Like to much vinyl protectant.
I think I am seeing something similar happening in my car as well. I've had it for just a month.
Old 05-11-16, 04:07 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

My 350 F with Bridgstones has lots of road noise and micro vibrations. I took it to the dealer, they said there is nothing wrong with the tires and there is no vibration.

Does anyone else feel any vibration when driving slightly over 60 mph (100-120 km/h)?
Old 05-11-16, 04:12 PM
mlfurlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete meltdown @ 5000 miles

My new RX, last Friday night on the way home, went into complete meltdown mode. Luckily I was within one mile of my house.

The first thing I noticed was a hesitation when leaving a stop sign (the first time ever). I also noticed that my MPG went from around 28 mpg to 7.7 since last refill. I had refilled a few days prior.

Then the fun really began. Error messages were flashing "find a safe place to stop within .6 miles"; "4-wheel drive disabled"; "pre-collision detection failure" among others. The check engine warning came on, the message to call dealer popped up in the navigation screen. I managed to get safely to my garage overnight.

I called the dealer Saturday morning when they opened, and they dispatched Lexus Roadside to flatbed the car. FOUR hours later (and yes, Lexus heard an earful from me on that ... what if I had been stranded on the road?!), my car was on its way.

Until yesterday, the technicians were all scratching their heads and maybe other parts of their body. Finally they have determined that my fuel tank needs to be replaced. It was indicating I had no fuel even though the tank was almost full.

I'm waiting (with a loaner car) until that is done, which apparently might be several days. I wish I was comfortable this was the root cause, not just another message among many from the car's diagnostics when the system went haywire.

Another really strange thing: since my phone was connected via Bluetooth (and I know this sounds crazy) a new photo was generated in my photo album that looks like a diagram (or an outline of an Italian chef)!!

I wish I felt better about everything, especially since we bought two 2016 RX450s on the same day. The move to Colorado forced us to trade in the rear-wheel drive boats!

Picture generated below:
<br >
Old 05-14-16, 06:22 AM
fmast342
Rookie

2016 RX 350: Issues I've noticed so far : 1) loud sound of the cooling fans behind our heads for the driver and passenger seats - is the something that the dealer can replace/fix? 2) the hesitation of the car coming off a stop sign - the transmission getting "stuck" type feeling 3) doors are heavier and dont fully close with normal force

Last edited by fmast342; 05-14-16 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added content
Old 05-14-16, 06:43 AM
fmast342
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kiwimum
I am having a serious issue. When I am taking off at stop signs, occasionally it will be very jerky. When I mean jerky, I mean like a person driving a standard car for the first time. Took it into the shop and was told they didn't find anything and I would just need to get use to it. It is how the car drives. Doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else??? Any clues why it does this??? I don't like to drive it now and I have only had it for two months. My husband can't drive it due to this and he drives everything that has an engine!!
I have an AWD 2016 RX 350 - experiencing the same exact issue. Maybe they need an over-the-air software upgrade for the transmission?
Old 05-14-16, 08:40 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwimum
I am having a serious issue. When I am taking off at stop signs, occasionally it will be very jerky. When I mean jerky, I mean like a person driving a standard car for the first time. Took it into the shop and was told they didn't find anything and I would just need to get use to it. It is how the car drives. Doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else??? Any clues why it does this??? I don't like to drive it now and I have only had it for two months. My husband can't drive it due to this and he drives everything that has an engine!!
Several other members have noticed this powertrain behavior as well. RXOwner made several mentions of it. I, also, have this hesitation in my RX 350 Luxury and it is the reason that I've been using the "S" mode instead of "D" (Drive). With "S" mode I can control when the transmission shifts and it eliminates the hesitating, jerky shifting.

When I don't feel like shifting manually in "S" mode, I use Sport mode in "D" (Drive). This works pretty well. I am a very conservative driver but enjoy the responsiveness that "S" drive or Sport mode provide. Up to now, I have never used Eco mode and rarely use Normal mode. Just my experience - ymmv.

Last edited by Macs4RX; 05-14-16 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-14-16, 01:53 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by fmast342
2016 RX 350: Issues I've noticed so far : 1) loud sound of the cooling fans behind our heads for the driver and passenger seats - is the something that the dealer can replace/fix? 2) the hesitation of the car coming off a stop sign - the transmission getting "stuck" type feeling 3) doors are heavier and dont fully close with normal force
On item 1, there is a service bulletin where the dealer can reduce the fan speed settings to reduce the noise level.
Old 05-14-16, 07:52 PM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I have the same spot, although I think of it as larger than a spot since it's about the size of a sheet of paper.

I'm headed to dealership today for 5,000 mile maintenance and will see what remedy they try to make it disappear.
I had this happen to me when I drove it home after a minor fix on a scratch. I just wiped it with a microfiber and it went away. Haven't seen it since but will keep an eye on it now.
Old 05-14-16, 10:39 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am now getting a little scared of making this purchase.
I remember when I had the X5, the dealership used to give me this excuse that the problem has been escalated to the BMW, and will let me know as soon as they hear a solution.
It seems like Lexus dealership are going the same route. They seem to be interested in make the sale rather than offering an after sale service.
Thank You.
Old 05-15-16, 02:04 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
I remember when I had the X5, the dealership used to give me this excuse that the problem has been escalated to the BMW, and will let me know as soon as they hear a solution.
It seems like Lexus dealership are going the same route. They seem to be interested in make the sale rather than offering an after sale service.
Thank You.
If you're still undecided, maybe you can ask your local dealer if you can take a RX loaner out for a couple of hours and you can then give it a good evaluation. I would gladly offer say, $100 for this road test. I haven't had my RX long enough to assess its reliability but I have to say that it's a drop-dead gorgeous vehicle, imho.
Old 05-15-16, 02:56 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
Thank You.
You have to remember, many people seek help on forums for problems and you have a significantly smaller percentage of happy owners seeking out forums to ask about all of the problems they don't have. Don't let a few problems on a forum dissuade you from buying an RX. There are literally millions of RX owners, this forum is a VERY small percentage of owners.

I went through the same thing as you when buying my 2016 Corvette. There were reports of transmission problems, motors going bad, infotainment systems going bad, and I got discourage. I ended up ordering the car still and have had no trouble in the 6 months I've owned it. It has been a wonderful car, and really fun!

Now I'm in the market for an RX (not giving up the Corvette though!), just looked at once today actually, and will be heading down later this week to buy it The one I wanted was sold yesterday, but they will have another just like it by Tuesday
Old 05-16-16, 05:46 AM
pab9999
Driver School Candidate

my rx350 2016 has the same AC gurgling noise.. Service department said they couldn't hear it after I dropped off vehicle. I drove to dealership and showed them the noise, then they said ' oh, that's a common issue and we'll add some refrigerant. The AC still has the noise. I'm taking my car back to the dealership again and will not stop until they fix issue. This is just one of many issues with my new car.
Old 05-16-16, 06:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

They dyed the dashboard, but agreed if I have further problems the dashboard will be replaced.

The navigation/radio system was replaced. If you have the rebooting problem, I would suggest you track it to help them and ultimately yourself. Record the date it happens, what screens were showing on the display, what color did the display become when it blinked out, when it rebooted what series of screens did it cycle through. Although I'm sure we all might agree blinking out once warrants a repair or replacement.

With my past experience with Lexus, I knew the problem would be fixed and it appears to be fixed so far.
Old 05-18-16, 10:16 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys for Your input.
I took my 2013 today for 30000 miles service and had the 2016 as a loaner.
It was my first time looking at it in person. I loved the steering on this car. It was light, smooth turning. and the RX was a pleasure to maneuver. My 2013 RX has a hard steering and also make noises once in a while. It is definitely an improvement over the previous model. I did notice the transmission hesitation around town driving. It seemed to be searching and felt like it couldn't make its mind while shifting. My 2013 wins on this part.
Overall a definite upgrade and it can only get better from here. I remember my 09 ES had the transmission hesitation and it was corrected on my 2010 ES. Same way I can tell that my 2013 RX drives much better than my 2010 RX. Only if I can wait till 2017 model to get one. Its now time to locate one and find a good deal.
Thank You.

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350