RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 02:34 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I have this problem too after 500 miles and I sense a recall coming...
Dealership wanted our car overnight. Detailing department is going to try something. If that fails, new dashboard. I imagine they'll give me a choice; live with it or suffer through a dashboard replacement.

The dealership indicated a "for sale" sticker laying on the dash created the problem. All of us here at CL know it's a factory defect.

The navigation system rebooting while driving once a month was one my list too. He said a replacement may be required.

It'd be nice to get it all done at once.

I'm driving a loaner until convenient for me to return, about five days. First time at this dealership. They have a flat $10 "maintenance fee" for loaners. Previous dealership, you refilled gas tank for what you used.
Old 05-04-16, 02:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Dealership wanted our car overnight. Detailing department is going to try something. If that fails, new dashboard. I imagine they'll give me a choice; live with it or suffer through a dashboard replacement.

The dealership indicated a "for sale" sticker laying on the dash created the problem. All of us here at CL know it's a factory defect.

The navigation system rebooting while driving once a month was one my list too. He said a replacement may be required.

It'd be nice to get it all done at once.

I'm driving a loaner until convenient for me to return, about five days. First time at this dealership. They have a flat $10 "maintenance fee" for loaners. Previous dealership, you refilled gas tank for what you used.
I also have the rebooting nav issue. Happened twice in less than 500 miles! They will likely solve this with a firmware update - I hope.
Old 05-04-16, 03:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I also have the rebooting nav issue. Happened twice in less than 500 miles! They will likely solve this with a firmware update - I hope.
Yea, or its a complete infotainment repalcement underwarranty. The freeze thing was common with some early model NXs. Regardless your in good hands
Old 05-04-16, 04:49 PM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I wonder if the people who bought the 2016 RX450h hybrid veraion of the car complain of this gurgling sound too? I have heard that the AC in the hybrids are all electric thus it may not have the same problems of the RX 350s AC system. Can someone with a RXh chime in on this situation?
I am in SW Florida with a 2016 450h. VERY pleased with how quiet this unit is (traded in a 2011 450h which was not quite as quiet). It's been over 90 everyday the past 10 days, so the AC has been hard at work. New to me is the sound of a fan running at high speed in the hybrid battery compartment. It's only there for a few minutes after sitting in a real hot sun. Then it's peacefully quite > no gurgling sounds.
Old 05-05-16, 09:33 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I have the same spot, although I think of it as larger than a spot since it's about the size of a sheet of paper.

I'm headed to dealership today for 5,000 mile maintenance and will see what remedy they try to make it disappear.
That is weird! I have a very similar spot near the one in the photo (very similar shape and size) but mine is more to the right. I assumed it was from the interior "glass coat" treatment. I took a soft rag (actually a cloth diaper) and wiped it gently a couple times and it mostly disappeared. I'll have them check it anyway when I take it in.
Old 05-05-16, 09:44 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have the gurgling noise but when driver's side seat ventilator is on high and AC is blowing on high the driver's side ventilator fan "whines" loud enough to be annoying. If I turn the AC blower or the seat ventilator fan down you can hear the whine decrease. I've played with it enough to narrow it down to the ventilator fan. Passenger side does not behave the same - it sounds normal at all speeds and conditions. It's on my list for the first visit to service.
Old 05-07-16, 07:23 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my 4RX for about 3 weeks now and here are my issues:
1. Not thrilled with the transmission's behavior at all in normal mode. I regularly flip to manual mode for around town speeds under 40MPH. I found that in manual, the tranny will automatically start out set at 4th gear which is perfect for 30MPH and less, and it upshifts much smoother, and I can choose to add upshifts myself thereafter.
In another thread I suggested to someone to hold the accelerator steady as possible to get better shifts-I learned this is too hard to do all the time. Using manual mode is easier and better. I don't feel that lugging the motor hard with a 4200+lbs vehicle like this tranny does, just to squeeze an extra couple miles per gallon, can be good for the motor in the long run. In normal mode this thing will prematurely upshift even up steep hills! Where I live it is mostly hilly.
Sport mode to me is too aggressive for most driving, though it is neat.
2. The doors are too hard to open and close for my better half. I don't have a problem with them but for her, this thing is a struggle to get used to. I think the hinge detents are too tight. The good thing about that though is it prevents careless people from throwing the door open willynilly and smack another vehicle.
3. The exterior finish is weak! I even bought the Permaplate, but I'm gonna ask if they really applied it. Breathing near it will cause hairline scratches. I gently wiped a bee-poo off with a soft terri cloth towel and it scratched swirls in! I was not even pressing hard. What's up with this and with Permaplate??? I'm afraid to wash the RX now-really, fearing I am going to damage the finish. $55 grand vehicle-huh! This does not happen on my 15 year old Tacoma.
Those are my issues so far, otherwise it is truly a nice cruiser to have.
Old 05-07-16, 08:01 AM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
1. Not thrilled with the transmission's behavior at all in normal mode. I regularly flip to manual mode for around town speeds under 40MPH. I found that in manual, the tranny will automatically start out set at 4th gear which is perfect for 30MPH and less, and it upshifts much smoother, and I can choose to add upshifts myself thereafter.
In another thread I suggested to someone to hold the accelerator steady as possible to get better shifts-I learned this is too hard to do all the time. Using manual mode is easier and better. I don't feel that lugging the motor hard with a 4200+lbs vehicle like this tranny does, just to squeeze an extra couple miles per gallon, can be good for the motor in the long run. In normal mode this thing will prematurely upshift even up steep hills! Where I live it is mostly hilly.
2. The doors are too hard to open and close for my better half. I don't have a problem with them but for her, this thing is a struggle to get used to. I think the hinge detents are too tight. The good thing about that though is it prevents careless people from throwing the door open willynilly and smack another vehicle.
3. The exterior finish is weak! I even bought the Permaplate, but I'm gonna ask if they really applied it. Breathing near it will cause hairline scratches. I gently wiped a bee-poo off with a soft terri cloth towel and it scratched swirls in! I was not even pressing hard. What's up with this and with Permaplate??? I'm afraid to wash the RX now-really, fearing I am going to damage the finish. $55 grand vehicle-huh! This does not happen on my 15 year old Tacoma.
1)I have a 450h so I can not comment on tranny issues, since the hybrid uses a CVT
2) Agree that doors are a lot "heavier" than my previous 450h. I could not see any lubricant on my door hinges so I sprayed with "garage door" lubricant. Use one without silicone, and avoid anything that leaves a dirt catching film (WD40). Seems to help, but still not like the previous 450h.
3)Lexus paint is "soft self healing", and they advertise the self healing feature will close light scratches. NEVER wipe dry because as you found it leaves swirl marks, which should diminish over the next week or so. I use a "quick detail" spray to wet the dirty spot, before wiping. I used this on my previous Obsidian Black Lexus and I continue to do that on my 16 450h. When I traded for the 16, my salesman commented on how well cared for my trade looked. I hate to sound like I am endorsing a product, but even with the dealer applied sealer (similar to Permaplate), I applied Meguiars NXT tech wax, and use their "Ultimate Quick Detail" for touch-ups.
Old 05-07-16, 08:37 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What exactly is the transmission behavior? I want to compare it with mine since it seems great to me. Also, I applied Mother's cleaner/wax and then, based on recommendations from CL members applied Jescar Color Lock wax. I haven't seen any problems with the paint. Actually, I use a California Duster that I've had for years and it works very well. I'll probably go to my garage and eyeball the car now. I have to laugh because my wife says that I should stop coming to CL since the comments posted exacerbate my Com/ Obs. behavior about the car. Some truth there .
Old 05-07-16, 08:48 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
What exactly is the transmission behavior? I want to compare it with mine since it seems great to me. Also, I applied Mother's cleaner/wax and then, based on recommendations from CL members applied Jescar Color Lock wax. I haven't seen any problems with the paint. Actually, I use a California Duster that I've had for years and it works very well. I'll probably go to my garage and eyeball the car now. I have to laugh because my wife says that I should stop coming to CL since the comments posted exacerbate my Com/ Obs. behavior about the car. Some truth there .
You are not alone. My wife is jealous that I frequently go to the garage to look at it, inside and out lol
Old 05-07-16, 09:55 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I also am a faithful user of the California Duster on a Caviar Black RX. No issues with scratching. I usually dust it every day and that means i can get away with only washing it once every month at the most.
Old 05-07-16, 09:58 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
You are not alone. My wife is jealous that I frequently go to the garage to look at it, inside and out lol
Hilarious! My wife too. I thought that I was the only person on earth who did this. I don't drive it in the rain and immediately dust it off after use. I did same thing with my RX 350. I really think that this vehicle is much better although I really liked my old one. I am concerned about my mental health.
Old 05-07-16, 10:00 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roblim
I also am a faithful user of the California Duster on a Caviar Black RX. No issues with scratching. I usually dust it every day and that means i can get away with only washing it once every month at the most.
Exactly-- I do the same thing.
Old 05-07-16, 02:25 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An easy example would be this; you take off from stop with light-normal acceleration, and it's in 5th gear before you reach 25MPH. I think it was member "RXowner" who said somewhere else that it wants to stick to 1200RPMs no matter what. That is accurate with my personal experience. I don't like it. I feel it puts an extra low-RPM burden on the motor. I wanna say I also feel a lockout torque converter in there as well which makes direct-drive behavior like a manual tranny. So it's about as bad as say going from 1st straight to 3rd or 4th on a manual before you even get to 25MPH.
Old 05-07-16, 04:51 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

An easy example would be this; you take off from stop with light-normal acceleration, and it's in 5th gear before you reach 25MPH. I think it was member "RXowner" who said somewhere else that it wants to stick to 1200RPMs no matter what. That is accurate with my personal experience. I don't like it. I feel it puts an extra low-RPM burden on the motor. I wanna say I also feel a lockout torque converter in there as well which makes direct-drive behavior like a manual tranny. So it's about as bad as say going from 1st straight to 3rd or 4th on a manual before you even get to 25MPH.
I must confess that I cannot feel any shifting what so ever or any engine strain. I'll pay more attention to it. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350