RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone considering Jaguar F-PACE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 02:56 AM
carnut1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considering Jaguar F-PACE?

My 2013 RX350 will complete its lease term in another 7 months. I was also cross-shopping f-pace for my next ride. I was wondering if anyone else looked at it, especially in comparison with 2016 f-sport.. Seems like Jag have a winner and has a long wait time for this vehicle (based on the pre-orders). In UK at least it seems to be a 6-9 month wait. not sure of the numbers in US.
Old 01-21-16, 03:05 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

After owning a Jag, I learned and know better to buy or lease one.
Old 01-21-16, 04:30 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it wasn't for Jaguar's reputation for quality, more specifically the lack of it, I'd be looking much more at the F Pace (idiotic name aside) and much less at the RX. It is an all new model but Jags just don't have the history in reliability that would make me want to gamble almost $70k.
Old 01-21-16, 05:02 AM
carnut1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VinceCL
If it wasn't for Jaguar's reputation for quality, more specifically the lack of it, I'd be looking much more at the F Pace (idiotic name aside) and much less at the RX. It is an all new model but Jags just don't have the history in reliability that would make me want to gamble almost $70k.
recently, Jag seems to be at the top of JD Power ratings for quality among luxury vehicles. Land rover seems to be still doing pretty bad. Also, Jag has increased their warranty to 5 years (Landrover obviously is still not in a position to do that). This also has in part to increase their reliability image, esp with XE and F-PACE launches in Spring.

I've never owned a Jag before, so do not have the bad experiences of others. Anyone got a Jag more recently? can you share if your experience is any different in recent times?
Old 01-21-16, 08:36 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you need visceral and audible excitment go for the jag. Their current v6 exhaust note is beyond this world. However its a lease for sure. Plus similary equipped its pshing 66K-67K
Old 01-21-16, 08:43 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut1
recently, Jag seems to be at the top of JD Power ratings for quality among luxury vehicles. Land rover seems to be still doing pretty bad. Also, Jag has increased their warranty to 5 years (Landrover obviously is still not in a position to do that). This also has in part to increase their reliability image, esp with XE and F-PACE launches in Spring.

I've never owned a Jag before, so do not have the bad experiences of others. Anyone got a Jag more recently? can you share if your experience is any different in recent times?
If I was considering an SUV in this class, I definitely would consider the F-pace. It's a good looking SUV and will probably handle way better than the RX. It's AWD system is rear biased (90 rear, 10 front) most of the time, much lower curb weight, and the V6 is much more powerful and the sounds it makes is awesome. The interior isn't bad either, and the tech available is good. As you mentioned, reliability won't be too much of an issue when you're within the 5 year/60K mile warranty, and the complimentary maintanence during that time would cover any issues experienced. Jaguar doesn't sell enough cars to participate in JD Powers reliability ratings, but I think their reliability has improved significantly...people just have the stigma stuck in their heads.

A review for the F-pace that is very positive:

Mom had 3 Jaguars in the past, each were pretty reliable. The last Jaguar was a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L and she drove over 250K miles on it before retiring it. It did have some suspension issues, radiator issues, and transmission issues towards the end, but no problems during the first 60K miles. Dealer experience was positive too. The only reason she didn't get another one because Jaguar significantly increased the price of all their cars.

The only thing that would stop me from getting the F-pace would be its price. The way I would spec it, it is significantly more expensive than the RX350 F-sport. Jaguar leases tend to be quite high due to low residuals.

Last edited by dchar; 01-22-16 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 01-21-16, 09:02 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had less than dependable vehicles in the past and nothing is worth the aggravation of a vehicle that you can not depend on. Buying a first year's model of a brand that I no longer trust would not even be a consideration at any price.
Old 01-21-16, 12:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Risky on the Jag IMO seeing it's a new model combined with Jag's reputation, but it's one heck of a nice CUV. Lease or buy while the warranty is present only.
Old 01-21-16, 02:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Risky on the Jag IMO seeing it's a new model combined with Jag's reputation, but it's one heck of a nice CUV. Lease or buy while the warranty is present only.
For what its worth, the infotainment system is crap, like worse then lexus crap. laggy and touch screen based. Its also outprices a Lexus RX
Old 01-21-16, 05:52 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaguar has a financial incentive if you preorder( it is refundable deposit). The first edition model is well priced if you like all the options and 380 hp and 5.1 to 60. I think the styling is superior to the RX and we have had had six 350's/450h's.
Old 01-21-16, 06:49 PM
carnut1
Driver School Candidate

yeah. they have a $500 + first month lease/loan payment up to $800. The First Edition is sold out. It seems that they are limited edition and only 1 per dealer.
Old 01-22-16, 01:18 AM
CSamurai
Driver School Candidate

I checked it out, but I drive quite a lot & needed something a bit bigger. RX fit the bill.
Old 01-22-16, 07:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by CSamurai
I checked it out, but I drive quite a lot & needed something a bit bigger. RX fit the bill.
Even though the RX is about 6.2 inches longer overall, the wheelbase on the F-pace is 3.4 inches longer. They are about the same size, and would definitely compete.
Old 01-22-16, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

CL member Trek has one on order. You can see some of his threads/posts about it in Car Chat. As I recall, he's getting the first one to arrive at his dealer, sometime this spring.
Old 01-22-16, 11:25 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
If I was considering an SUV in this class, I definitely would consider the F-pace. It's a good looking SUV and will probably handle way better than the RX. It's AWD system is rear biased (90 rear, 10 front) most of the time, much lower curb weight, and the V6 is much more powerful and the sounds it makes is awesome. The interior isn't bad either, and the tech available is good. As you mentioned, reliability won't be too much of an issue when you're within the 5 year/60K mile warranty, and the complimentary maintanence during that time would cover any issues experienced. Jaguar doesn't sell enough cars to participate in JD Powers reliability ratings, but I think their reliability has improved significantly...people just have the stigma stuck in their heads.

A review for the F-pace that is very positive:
http://youtu.be/eoSlxj3fOEI

Mom had 3 Jaguars in the past, each were pretty reliable. The last Jaguar was a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L and she drove over 250K miles on it before retiring it. It did have some suspension issues, radiator issues, and transmission issues towards the end, but no problems during the first 60K miles. Dealer experience was positive too. The only reason she didn't get another one because Jaguar significantly increased the price of all their cars.

The only thing that would stop me from getting the F-pace would be its price. The way I would spec it, it is significantly more expensive than the RX350 F-sport. Jaguar leases tend to be quite high due to low residuals.
I would be skeptical about that review. Only reason being is that its Autoexpress - They love everything thats not japanese and are especially enthusiastic about Jag because its British. They forget to mention how the interior quality is not actually that great and reflects an XE rather than a Proper SUV

Quick Reply: Anyone considering Jaguar F-PACE?