RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

350 vs 450h...More fun to drive???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 09:04 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 350 is better

The 450 sounds like a vacuum cleaner and is way heavier too . It'll take 10 years to recoup the fuel savings by which time it'll need new batteries etc etc
Old 01-25-16, 11:02 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubber
The difference in price between premium and regular would negate any price difference recovered here in the US especially with gas prices a good bit under $2/gal as they are right now. Prices may go up in the future but it wouldn't make a difference since I will probably change cars in 4 or 5 years anyway.
I am on my second 450H and waiting for the third one - a 2016 450h that I ordered to come in next month. I love the hybrid and have never put anything but the cheap gas in either one and have had NO problems. I am a bit of a lead foot and still average an overall 26.8 MPG (never reset since purchase) on regular gas (87) in my 2012 450h.
The following users liked this post:
BMP2CPM (04-30-20)
Old 01-25-16, 01:58 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I don't understand

Originally Posted by ghabicht
I am on my second 450H and waiting for the third one - a 2016 450h that I ordered to come in next month. I love the hybrid and have never put anything but the cheap gas in either one and have had NO problems. I am a bit of a lead foot and still average an overall 26.8 MPG (never reset since purchase) on regular gas (87) in my 2012 450h.
Im not sure I understand the reason for spending so much on such a fine piece of engineering and then putting the lowest grade gas in it which cause it to work far less efficiently and guggs up the internals with residues ? I always get pleasure in filling my cars with 98 octane knowing I'm helping it work to its best advantage and keeping the internals as clean as possible . The same goes for my logic in only using synthetic ,highest grade oils .
I know we all have different views on these things 😊
BMP2CPM (04-30-20)
Old 01-25-16, 02:07 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Im not sure I understand the reason for spending so much on such a fine piece of engineering and then putting the lowest grade gas in it which cause it to work far less efficiently and guggs up the internals with residues ? I always get pleasure in filling my cars with 98 octane knowing I'm helping it work to its best advantage and keeping the internals as clean as possible . The same goes for my logic in only using synthetic ,highest grade oils .
I know we all have different views on these things ��
I have never had any problems (78k miles) and my car still runs great. I was told (by a Lexus mechanic) that if you always use the same fuel, the computers adjust and it should not cause any problems (mixing the high and low grades causes the computer to keep adjusting) You might get lower gas mileage, but it doesn't offset the cost difference over premium gas. I won't put anything but premium in my SC430, as it does affect the fuel injectors.
BMP2CPM (04-30-20)
Old 01-26-16, 05:34 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

People who put cheap gas in a Luxury car reminds me of Billionares who only buy things on sale and frequent the swap meets for a deal. Lol spend $50k+ and pump regular gas while some people with a car half the price pump Premium. Lol it not like saving 40 cents per gallon by going to regular is going to make you a milllionare. Just pump premium because a Luxury car deserves it.
Old 01-26-16, 10:56 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
People who put cheap gas in a Luxury car reminds me of Billionares who only buy things on sale and frequent the swap meets for a deal. Lol spend $50k+ and pump regular gas while some people with a car half the price pump Premium. Lol it not like saving 40 cents per gallon by going to regular is going to make you a milllionare. Just pump premium because a Luxury car deserves it.
Off topic, but on the other hand you could argue that throwing money away is not a smart move. Millionaires become millionaires by having the habit of not leaving money on the table. If premium has no appreciable benefit, then why even bother? The idea of paying money for unknown benefits is an idea of the nouveau riche...
Old 01-26-16, 10:59 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Off topic, but on the other hand you could argue that throwing money away is not a smart move. Millionaires become millionaires by having the habit of not leaving money on the table. If premium has no appreciable benefit, then why even bother? The idea of paying money for unknown benefits is an idea of the nouveau riche...
Exactly.....
Old 01-26-16, 11:10 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Although most people who are part of the 1% rarely pump their own gas, I doubt they could care what gasoline they put in their car. If the car breaks, replace.

Anyways dont know how this went to $$$, as the RX recommends regular anyways. Its not a BMW where the recommended is Premium
Old 01-26-16, 01:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Anyways dont know how this went to $$$, as the RX recommends regular anyways. Its not a BMW where the recommended is Premium
The RX350 requires regular, while the RX450h requires premium.
Old 01-26-16, 02:12 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Well said. However, getting to a million wasn't nearly as difficult as it once was.
Old 01-26-16, 04:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The RX350 requires regular, while the RX450h requires premium.
Is the V6 on atinkson, or is the premium requirement required due to the less water absorbing nature of premium fuel?
Old 01-26-16, 05:49 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree with your conclusion of not throwing money away, using higher octane fuel isn't something that has no benefit. Higher octane fuel makes it less likely you'll have knock; and knock is not just something you imagine, it's something you hear in your engine that's not pleasant. Not only that, it's terrible for the engine (mechanically).

So if your $50,000 car says you need 91 octane fuel... don't screw with it. It probably has some high performance engine that has a relatively high compression ratio. The manufacturer isn't going to lie to you and say it needs 91 when it does fine with 87.
Old 01-27-16, 04:58 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think those Millionaires get where they are just pinching pennies and saving a few dollars at the pump. It's more like making good business partners, landing good dealsmaking good investments, and attracting great sponsors. Penny pinching might turn you into a rich man but not a millionare. Every business man I have ever known who are Millionaires don't waste there time worrying about saving a few dollars at the pump. That time spent worrying about such things can be spent thinking up ways to land a multi million dollar deal with other companies. Penny pinchers may become $100,000 Nares but cetaintly not Millionares. LOL. I am sure people who agree with you are Millionares too? Wait maby you are a Billionaire because you saved at the pump be pumping regular. ;-)

I myself did not build my wealth by cheaping out on gas. I regularly donate to local charities like St. JUDE and Ronald McDonald's house and Red cross. With your logic of pinching pennies donation would be out of the question right? I didn't go broke making donations and I didn't build my wealth pumping regular into my car that requires premium. I also always put at least 20% Gratuity for any services I use like at a restuarant and I am not broke now either sooo?

Also it's not about pumping Premium when all you need is regular. What bothers me is when the manufacturers say you must use Premium and the car owner decides to pump regular. Then one day that car owner sells his car to the next guy and the new owner wonders why the car is not working properly. That is why I always buy New.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 01-27-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-27-16, 05:35 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

What is sad is Lexus filled up your 450H with regular prior to delivery.

One needs to use whatever make you feel good, it is your vehicle.
Old 01-27-16, 07:43 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
What is sad is Lexus filled up your 450H with regular prior to delivery.

One needs to use whatever make you feel good, it is your vehicle.
WTH how do you know they do that??

Quick Reply: 350 vs 450h...More fun to drive???