RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 07:08 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That may account for some who cannot get their remote start to work. There still seems to be a lot of issues for many owners getting their remote starts to work.
Old 11-07-16, 03:08 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I tried the 1-2-3/hold method 10 times. No luck for me...
Old 11-07-16, 06:07 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx
I tried the 1-2-3/hold method 10 times. No luck for me...
Did you try the 1-2-3-4/hold yet. That's the only way mine will work when using the fob. Curious to know if anyone else has to do the 4 quick while holding the 4th for a few seconds until lights flash as me? Or am I the only one? Mine is a 2016 450h, build date 12/15 Canada. Also, if the 3 push or 4 push doesn't work, try unlocking the doors, then relock and try again.
Old 11-26-16, 10:35 PM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up my 2016 RX 350 F Sport last week. I also couldn't get the remote start to work with the key fob, I tried the 3 button, 4 button, hell I even tried 5 or 6 and I couldn't get it to remote start. The otherday I spoke to my salesman who said you can't start the car with just the key fob and he would get me the Enform activation code. Once I activated Enform I was able to remote start over the internet with some delay. The next day I decided to try the key fob again and the 3 button method worked the first time.

I am am not sure if the Enform activation also enabled the key fob to remote start my RX, but I can tell you it didn't work before the activation and it works fine now.
Old 11-27-16, 07:49 AM
stevemcb
Driver

This is listed under the " build your RX section":SMARTACCESS*

The SmartAccess key fob lets you lock and unlock your doors and start the push-button ignition—all without having to take your keys out of your pocket or purse. As soon as the sensors detect the presence of your SmartAccess key, the door unlocks when you touch a front-door handle.
STANDARD ON: RX 450h F SPORT, RX 350, RX 450h,RX 350 F SPORT

There must be something we are missing as to why some owners can start the cars while others cannot. I have questioned Lexus and they say the Enform does not have to be functioning for the FOB to work . Is anyone outside their one year Enform and still having their FOB working ?

Last edited by stevemcb; 11-27-16 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 03:26 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
This is listed under the " build your RX section":SMARTACCESS*

The SmartAccess key fob lets you lock and unlock your doors and start the push-button ignition—all without having to take your keys out of your pocket or purse. As soon as the sensors detect the presence of your SmartAccess key, the door unlocks when you touch a front-door handle.
STANDARD ON: RX 450h F SPORT, RX 350, RX 450h,RX 350 F SPORT

There must be something we are missing as to why some owners can start the cars while others cannot. I have questioned Lexus and they say the Enform does not have to be functioning for the FOB to work . Is anyone outside their one year Enform and still having their FOB working ?
Not sure what you state is missing. The section you referenced above is referring to the start button mounted on the dash. Have not read anyone saying it doesn't work.
Old 11-27-16, 05:09 PM
stevemcb
Driver

my bad ! I misread that section. But it is still unusual that some owners can remote start the car with their FOB and others cannot.
Old 11-27-16, 08:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The Fob start requires the following:
1) Active Enform subscription (1st year free). Only works for cars in the US.
2) Be within range of locking/unlocking car.
3) Car parked in an area with good cellular coverage (car uses SafetyConnect connection in order to fulfill request). Car cannot be parked in a structure.
4) Press the fob in the right sequence. Press 1, release, press 2, release, press 3, hold until you see hazards flash, release.

I can confirm that you need an active Enform subscription. On my 2015 GS350, the fob start worked for a few days after the subscription expired and stopped. If you don't activate your Enform Remote app, then it won't work.
Old 11-29-16, 05:43 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Just tried my key fob and it doesn't work.
Old 11-30-16, 10:55 AM
DHarvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchar
The Fob start requires the following:
1) Active Enform subscription (1st year free). Only works for cars in the US.
2) Be within range of locking/unlocking car.
3) Car parked in an area with good cellular coverage (car uses SafetyConnect connection in order to fulfill request). Car cannot be parked in a structure.
4) Press the fob in the right sequence. Press 1, release, press 2, release, press 3, hold until you see hazards flash, release.

I can confirm that you need an active Enform subscription. On my 2015 GS350, the fob start worked for a few days after the subscription expired and stopped. If you don't activate your Enform Remote app, then it won't work.
I can also confirm what dchar posted that you must have an active subscription to Enform in order for the Key FOB to remotely start the vehicle. I purchased a 2016 RX 350 six weeks ago and immediately enrolled in Emform which took Lexus five weeks get working (another story). I began reading this thread about how some are able to remotely start their vehicles from the FOB and others can't. I researched remotely starting a 4th Gen RX and found that Lexus does not offer through parts a plug and play module for FOB remote starting like they do for the 3rd Gens. I too was one of those that could not start my vehicle from the FOB until this past Friday the 25th when Lexus finally got Enform to communicate properly with my vehicle and guess what? The FOB will remotely start the vehicle now that Emform is active. I called Lexus and question them about the relation between using the Key FOB to remotely start my vehicle and subscribing to Enform. I was told the software the vehicle uses to process the FOB signal has a handshake with the Enform remote app and is controlled through Enform, therefore, no subscription, no remote start.

Now the question is to those who say they are not an active subscriber to Enform that can still start their vehicles with the FOB. With all of the issues I had with Enform to activate I wouldn't be surprised if it's an oversight! Enjoy it will you can, once they get their software issues under control it will most likely go away.

The sequence to remotely start with the FOB is as dchar said. Press the lock button once and release, press a second time and release, press a third time holding it (2 or 3 seconds) until the hazard lights flash and release. The vehicle starts! My one complaint is the vehicle shuts off as soon as you unlock it, very inconvenient in my opinion.
Old 12-05-16, 02:53 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
Just tried my key fob and it doesn't work.
Finally got my Remote App to working and yes it does work.
Old 12-12-16, 03:07 PM
deesauto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT without the subscription.

Originally Posted by KANG
hey guys. i just tried this on my 16 rx350 f sport. the car starts with just the key fob!! press the lock botton 3 times, the 3rd time u hold it for like 3 seconds, the car beeped and car starts. people at the dealership never told me this. so its the same as in my father's 2010 rx350. im not sure if it still works when the lexus enform remote start free trial ends, but i think it will still work.

My 2016 RX450h starts just fine with the fob.
And then would not ever do that again right after the subscription ends.
Old 12-12-16, 06:01 PM
KANG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my 1 year free enform expired. i tried the remote start with key fob and it does not work. disappointed. i was hoping it will work.
Old 12-12-16, 06:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

my 1 year free enform expired. i tried the remote start with key fob and it does not work. disappointed. i was hoping it will work.
That sucks.. How does it know!?
Old 12-12-16, 06:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

hey guys. i just tried this on my 16 rx350 f sport. the car starts with just the key fob!! press the lock botton 3 times, the 3rd time u hold it for like 3 seconds, the car beeped and car starts. people at the dealership never told me this. so its the same as in my father's 2010 rx350. im not sure if it still works when the lexus enform remote start free trial ends, but i think it will still work.
If you don't mind POOR range of OEM fob. You just install thing called T harness. iDATA link has a module by the name of HC for just that. It's also called lock, lock, lock start. OEM fob has not even 10 meter range. I'll be installing HC2 which comes with one 2way remote and one 1way remote. Have to flash compatible firmware and antenna before installing it. Does not require many wiring connections. My vehicle is RX450h. Rortin has EVO modules which does same thing as HC.

Last edited by Htony; 12-12-16 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!