RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 09:43 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

didn't work for me
Old 04-12-16, 10:08 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked for me but it shut off when I unlocked the door. I guess that is by design.
Old 04-12-16, 10:14 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Richstang
Worked for me but it shut off when I unlocked the door. I guess that is by design.
that is one strange design then
Old 04-12-16, 10:20 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Very true
Old 04-12-16, 10:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
What year is this rx350?
It's a pre-spindle grill RX so 2010-2012.

didn't work for me
Very true
The video demonstrates basic RES which does not require a subscription. It's designed to turn off in 10 minutes or when the front driver or passenger door is touched/unlocked.
Old 04-12-16, 12:37 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Again, I said it didn't work on my 2016....3 or 4 presses on the lock with the holding down on 3rd...and again with 4th

Ok, do if there is remote start when the door are locked...once you unlock to go in, then the engine shuts off?....and we have to turn it back on manually again? Doesn't make sense
Old 04-12-16, 12:50 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Again, I said it didn't work on my 2016....3 or 4 presses on the lock with the holding down on 3rd...and again with 4th

Ok, do if there is remote start when the door are locked...once you unlock to go in, then the engine shuts off?....and we have to turn it back on manually again? Doesn't make sense
You have to press the LOCK button 3 times quickly and HOLD the 3rd press until the lights flash (usually 5-8 seconds), then the car should start. You can't get into the car without it shutting off - it is for remote starting only. If you open any door, you have to press the brake and then the start button, as you normally would to start the car. This prevents anyone from driving away with your car when it's running. I agree that it would be more convenient to have it stay on if you have the key fob with you...
Old 04-12-16, 01:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The only additional step when entering the car is pressing the start button. I have standard RES right now and don't consider it a big deal. Like ghabicht said, it prevents a thief from driving off. And an idling vehicle in a driveway is illegal in some towns just for that reason. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-12-16, 02:03 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to see how responsive the new remote features are. My wife has the same capability on her 2015 Hyundai Sonata but it seems to take quite a while to provide status, start the car and respond back. The "where is my car" feature also seems to take quite a while (sometimes 45 secs) to respond.

I found the older RES on my 2013 Rxh (not RES+) to be pretty worthless. By the time I get it to go thru the sequence of pushing the lock button 3 times (repeat 2 or 3 times) I'm at the car.
Old 04-12-16, 02:41 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

I found the older RES on my 2013 Rxh (not RES+) to be pretty worthless. By the time I get it to go thru the sequence of pushing the lock button 3 times (repeat 2 or 3 times) I'm at the car. [/QUOTE]

I guess it all depends on how far away your car is - I can see my car from my office window and start it up about 5 minutes before I leave, so it's nice and warm in winter or very cool in summer. I use it all the time! The key fob is much easier for me to use than the phone app. - It sometimes takes a few minutes for the app to sync with the car.
Old 04-12-16, 04:03 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghabicht
You have to press the LOCK button 3 times quickly and HOLD the 3rd press until the lights flash (usually 5-8 seconds), then the car should start. You can't get into the car without it shutting off - it is for remote starting only. If you open any door, you have to press the brake and then the start button, as you normally would to start the car. This prevents anyone from driving away with your car when it's running. I agree that it would be more convenient to have it stay on if you have the key fob with you...
My 2016 450h I have to press LOCK button 4 times quickly while holding the 4th. Same instructions otherwise. Guess I'm the only one that has to do the 4 clicks for fob remote to work, rather than 3. No matter how many clicks, I'm surprised we can use the fob in the first place.
I prefer the App by far. Never liked the basic fob RES when I had my 2013 450h, due to the very limited range among other reasons.
Old 04-12-16, 06:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

ron7 - the timing of the lock button pushes is pretty critical.
Needs to be quick -push/release/push/release/push & hold
until you see the various marker lights begin flashing.
Then you can release the button. Three ways to turn her
off once running, 1) wait 10 minutes 2) press and hold
the fob lock button once 3) reach through a door handle
to unlock and it shuts off while loading.
Old 04-13-16, 06:15 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess it all depends on how far away your car is - I can see my car from my office window and start it up about 5 minutes before I leave, so it's nice and warm in winter or very cool in summer. I use it all the time! The key fob is much easier for me to use than the phone app. - It sometimes takes a few minutes for the app to sync with the car.
Yea, I don't need it where I work cuz I'm parked in a garage so the Rxh doesn't get that hot. I only wanted to use it when I parked outside in the summer and could almost never get the sequence to work the first time, even when I could see the vehicle from a [restaurant] window. If I could see the vehicle from a window, was close enough and I parked outside then it would definitely have been worth the $450 cost. I just wished I had known the capabilities of RES and how it worked before I got it.

Perhaps I was doing the sequence wrong? Since I could always see the vehicle I would push the lock button, wait to see the parking lights flash (3 times), then hit it a 4th time and hope I'd see the lights flash 6 times (or whatever) meaning it started. It just took way too long.
Old 04-13-16, 07:57 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious...we can't use the key fob or the phone app to turn on AC or warm air right? How come you can make the car warm in winter and cool in summer before you get into the car? I have been wanting to do the same thing.

Last edited by kenforum; 04-13-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 07:59 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by kenforum
I am curious...we can't use the key fob or the phone app to turn on AC or warm air right? How come you can make the car warm in winter and cool in summer before you get into the car and mess with climate control in person? I have been wanting to do the same thing.
I set the temperature and climate controls before I get out of the car, so the heat or a/c comes on when the car is started. It would be nice to be able to do it through the app - maybe next generation...

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!