RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 07:18 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
Lexus advertises that the RX has an 8 speed transmission but has anyone noticed that it never/rarely uses gears 1-3? If you switch to "S" while at a stop, the car is always in 4th.

It also seems odd that the advertised 295hp also arrives at the redline. Most cars give you a couple hundred RPMs after max HP to redline.
Display shows 4th, but doesn't means that car is starting at 4th gear.
Old 02-24-17, 10:56 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
Lexus advertises that the RX has an 8 speed transmission but has anyone noticed that it never/rarely uses gears 1-3? If you switch to "S" while at a stop, the car is always in 4th.

It also seems odd that the advertised 295hp also arrives at the redline. Most cars give you a couple hundred RPMs after max HP to redline.
it still starts out in 1. The 4 means your upper gear limit is 4. Just like the ES, I'm sure you can toggle it up or down. I really like this implementation by Lexus vs the other car makers. For around town a limit of 4 to 6 is great.
Old 02-24-17, 01:15 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
it still starts out in 1. The 4 means your upper gear limit is 4. Just like the ES, I'm sure you can toggle it up or down. I really like this implementation by Lexus vs the other car makers. For around town a limit of 4 to 6 is great.
There in lies the problem with the transmission. Even if you limit the highest gear to 6th, it doesn't seem to change how the transmission reacts below that. It flies through the first 3 gears and then hangs around 4th to 5th (where most of my hesitation occurs). 6th gear in City speeds (50 to 60 km/hr) is where the RPMs hover around 1600 to 2000, where we get the droning and vibration effects.
Old 02-24-17, 03:05 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Then what is needed is an aftermarket tune to change the gear shift points that can be overridden easily, I think it's either overkill or trifecta that does these. Lexus won't risk bad EPA numbers to solve this one.
Old 02-24-17, 04:52 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted the fix 2 months ago... dont quite understand why this thread is still going.

If people were really concerned they would have bought the fix, installed it in 5mins and would be enjoying life rather than going around in circles in here..
The following 2 users liked this post by Baxter64:
donmatt (02-25-17), tomtom74 (02-24-17)
Old 02-25-17, 03:25 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter64
I posted the fix 2 months ago... dont quite understand why this thread is still going.

If people were really concerned they would have bought the fix, installed it in 5mins and would be enjoying life rather than going around in circles in here..
installing some random third party gadget isn't a solution. Good luck dealing with the factory warranty after screwing around with the car. Lexus would have done the same thing if your solution was a "fix" instead of properly updating the transmission and throttle mapping. Plus, no one should have to spend money to fix a warranty issue.
Old 02-25-17, 04:57 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree 100% I have used tuners in the past, increasing the throttle response will not fix where
the transmission rpms are at a certain speed. Example 60 mph in 8 gear is 1400 rpms no matter
what you do unless you change your gears. Dont waste your money.
Old 02-26-17, 04:46 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Ok so it's back to the shop again for the transmission. After the experimental fix for a Canadian car, the thing has a few new problems. Under light acceleration the car won't shift into 3 or 4 or 5...i really don't know what gear it's trying to get into. It revs up to 3000 rpms before it shifts. Remember this is under light acceleration and no load. Does it around 30-50 KPH and not all the time.

New problem...My drive mode select for the customization screen has disappeared. I tried to go into custom mode as set previously to normal drive sport suspension. It's not there anymore. Ok let's just go into sport +, nope not there either. Let's try eco, nope drives like normal mode.

Needless to say I don't know what they did to the transmission. What seemed fine last Friday is now worse than before.

This is car number 55 for me and I am not too impressed with the amount of problems I have had. I have purchased many new model year cars and not had any problems. This one seems to be the Friday afternoon special before a long weekend....

I didn't post what they did as I still don't know. The engineer working on it at head office was on vacation last week and no one knows what changes ( ECU and or TCU )were made. They did not do the TSB as per USA specs because it's a Canadian car. Whatever!
Old 02-27-17, 07:53 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the US TSB applied and couldn't be happier, it's like I have new car with extra power. It took all of 10 mins to apply with no issues from dealer and I have driven about 300 miles now on regular fuel and it's shifting perfect. It feels like there a lot more torque behind the pedal now, the lag is gone at low to high speeds.

I don't know why this is only TSB as this can really be safety issue on HWY, plus it really changes your mind on RX feeling sluggish.

Honestly didn't have high hopes and firgured I would just use prem fuel or drive in sport, but this fix improves it i would say at least 95%.
In certain situations you can feel a little lag and that push back skip but nothing like it was prior.

I highly recommend this update for anyone with RX, there is zero negatives.
Old 02-27-17, 12:50 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Discovered something very interesting today. My car when warm gives me a bad drone around town when turning a corner
and than hitting the gas lightly at around 25mph. So I used the manual mode and set it to 4th gear meaning it will start out as normal but will not go to 5th without me shifting. Its the shift from 4th to 5th gear at low speeds that makes it drone. So by using manual mode and letting the rpms get up aroud 2500 before shifting into 5th gear no more drone. This is what
I was hoping the TSB would address but that senario never changed. So around town I will use the manual mode and not have that annoying drone. This could be so easily fixed by remapping that shift point. Lexus is really dropping the ball on this.
Old 02-27-17, 07:12 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FastFord
Ok so it's back to the shop again for the transmission. After the experimental fix for a Canadian car, the thing has a few new problems. Under light acceleration the car won't shift into 3 or 4 or 5...i really don't know what gear it's trying to get into. It revs up to 3000 rpms before it shifts. Remember this is under light acceleration and no load. Does it around 30-50 KPH and not all the time.

New problem...My drive mode select for the customization screen has disappeared. I tried to go into custom mode as set previously to normal drive sport suspension. It's not there anymore. Ok let's just go into sport +, nope not there either. Let's try eco, nope drives like normal mode.

Needless to say I don't know what they did to the transmission. What seemed fine last Friday is now worse than before.

This is car number 55 for me and I am not too impressed with the amount of problems I have had. I have purchased many new model year cars and not had any problems. This one seems to be the Friday afternoon special before a long weekend....

I didn't post what they did as I still don't know. The engineer working on it at head office was on vacation last week and no one knows what changes ( ECU and or TCU )were made. They did not do the TSB as per USA specs because it's a Canadian car. Whatever!
Definitely keep us posted on what your dealer says. Perhaps they didn't apply the fix correctly or fsports have different software.
Old 02-27-17, 07:13 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
I got the US TSB applied and couldn't be happier, it's like I have new car with extra power. It took all of 10 mins to apply with no issues from dealer and I have driven about 300 miles now on regular fuel and it's shifting perfect. It feels like there a lot more torque behind the pedal now, the lag is gone at low to high speeds.

I don't know why this is only TSB as this can really be safety issue on HWY, plus it really changes your mind on RX feeling sluggish.

Honestly didn't have high hopes and firgured I would just use prem fuel or drive in sport, but this fix improves it i would say at least 95%.
In certain situations you can feel a little lag and that push back skip but nothing like it was prior.

I agree with this experience. We cant forget that this car still has a shift/eco happy 8 speed, so it wont be as sorted as a 5 or 6 speed that doesnt need to be so fancy with shift maps.
Old 02-28-17, 05:32 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Update to my Canadian TSB for hesitation...

As the previous threads stated the TSB seemed to work then went bad.

Looks like the TSB was the USA TSB, given to Lexus Canada and transferred to my dealer. There was some missing info given to my dealer that was not on the TSB. Apparently after the load is installed there needs to be a full reset of the system. This was not stated in the TSB. Dealer called today and says that the Drive mode and customization ( F sport ) is now working and the TSB is installed as it should be.

Looking forward to testing it out again.

Keep you posted.
Old 02-28-17, 12:26 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998

Did you give them the TSB number or did they already know about it?

We really need someone to post it here.
Old 02-28-17, 12:52 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

TSB. Lexus Technical Service Bulletin number L-SB-0109-17

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)