RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Old 02-14-17, 12:47 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Actually noticed something weird with my cruise control and not sure if its related to the transmission issue in this thread. On occasion, when i hit the steering column stalk to raise the cruise control speed, the transmission will downshift and stay in that lower gear until i manually turn off the cruise control. It will not upshift itself. Also, if i'm going up a hill and the transmission downshift and i go over the hill it still stays in the lower gear and will not upshift. Anybody else have t his issue with the cruise control?
This is a HUGE problem for the new '16-'17 Tacoma which has similar 3.5L V6 engine and 6 speed auto. I am surprised that Lexus/Toyota didn't figure this out yet.
Old 02-15-17, 10:34 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Not at all, when I slow down and turn a corner hit the gas it just lugs and drones. Im am just so disgusted. Honestly I think it got worse.
You should ask your dealer that they did a hard flash reset before overwrite. They can't just do overwrite. If you do that it will make things worst.
Old 02-15-17, 11:16 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtom74
You should ask your dealer that they did a hard flash reset before overwrite. They can't just do overwrite. If you do that it will make things worst.
Service manager said the TCM was wiped clean now it would have to learn all my driving habits all over again .
Honestly after driving it for a couple of days it feels exactly the same. Who knows, maybe mine already had that
version software. I was really hoping for some improvement.
Old 02-15-17, 01:39 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Service manager said the TCM was wiped clean now it would have to learn all my driving habits all over again .
Honestly after driving it for a couple of days it feels exactly the same. Who knows, maybe mine already had that
version software. I was really hoping for some improvement.
I have the opposite experience. The tsb improved my issues 100%. Very happy with the fix and I was super pissed about the hesitation before.
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 03:28 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

just curious what year is yours? Maybe you had an older version of software.
Old 02-16-17, 07:29 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

just curious what year is yours? Maybe you had an older version of software.
late 2016, not sure how many versions there are.
Old 02-16-17, 07:50 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

This TSB is not available in Canada...Apparently they are not aware of any problems.

So I called Lexus Canada and they contacted the dealer to have the shifting checked. They are going to run some tests and work with the Tech team to see if there is something they can do about the hesitation and jerky ride. They are aware that there is a TSB for vehicles delivered to the US.

For now, Canadian delivered vehicles...there is no fix.
Old 02-17-17, 02:21 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
This TSB is not available in Canada...Apparently they are not aware of any problems.

So I called Lexus Canada and they contacted the dealer to have the shifting checked. They are going to run some tests and work with the Tech team to see if there is something they can do about the hesitation and jerky ride. They are aware that there is a TSB for vehicles delivered to the US.

For now, Canadian delivered vehicles...there is no fix.
That's a bummer. I'll ask when at my next service appointment as well. I never understand why Canada gets left out.... There is virtually no difference in the vehicles between the two markets. And the RX is made in Canada!
Old 02-17-17, 03:05 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Well I got my RX back this afternoon. 2016 RX350 F sport 3. I live in Canada and had discussions with Lexus Canada about the TSB that is for US vehicles only. I must say that they were very willing to work with me and get their technical team involved. The car was at the dealer for two days while they performed tests, and obtained the US TSB from Lexus USA.

Although the TSB is for US vehicles only they did something to the ECU that seems to have fixed the transmission. They said they did not do the TSB from Lexus USA but did change how the transmission acts. They would not tell me exactly what they did, but I am not sure the Service advisor would know...no offense to him. I did have a discussion with the mechanic yesterday before they did the change and he said he was waiting for a download from Lexus Canada.

I will head back next week to try and get more info from the mechanic. Stand by for updates. I am also going to connect with my case manager at Lexus Canada and give them my feedback.

Before when you would come to an "almost stop" and hit the gas the lag and or some gear would be slow to react. Same going around a typical neighbourhood turn, it seemed the car didn't know what gear it was supposed to be in, bog down, drop a gear and then go.

In my short time with the car now, none of those issues exist. In fact it seems to be ready for acceleration immediately. The RPMs at various speeds are the same as before. Still goes into 5th at under 50 KPH and 120 KPH RPM's a hair under 2K

The RX seems more engaged than before...is that makes any sense.

I'll keep you Canadians posted as I feel your frustration.
Old 02-17-17, 04:12 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
That's a bummer. I'll ask when at my next service appointment as well. I never understand why Canada gets left out.... There is virtually no difference in the vehicles between the two markets. And the RX is made in Canada!
You can blame Donald Trump....
The following users liked this post:
donmatt (04-05-17)
Old 02-20-17, 05:10 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the TSB serviced on Saturday and there is a big difference. I put about 150 miles on the RX this weekend. The gas petal seems a little more sensitive to me and there is no hesitation at all.
Old 02-22-17, 10:58 AM
Harrywitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Hesitation

I found a solution to my hesitation problem. I started using 92 or higher octane gasoline. I have not had a problem since. Of course now it will cost more to operate. The droning problem still persists. Hope this helps you frustrated RX owners.
Old 02-22-17, 12:08 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrywitch
I found a solution to my hesitation problem. I started using 92 or higher octane gasoline. I have not had a problem since. Of course now it will cost more to operate. The droning problem still persists. Hope this helps you frustrated RX owners.
Check out the long "Hesitation" thread at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html

Sounds like there is a TSB for it.
Old 02-23-17, 04:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I had the TSB. done but it not help my issue at all, in fact it might have made it worse.
I didn't really have hesitation to begin with. My issue is on normal acceleration, the car
will shift into 4th or 5th gear and the RPMs will drop way down to 1200 and I get a
considerable amout of drone and vibration until I step on the accelerator and it
downshifts. This Is so annoying cant belive this is a $55k Lexus. One of the worse vehicles
I have owned. I cringe everytime I see those Lexus commercials saying "experience amazing"
Yeah Im amazed someone hasnt drivin one of these through a dealership window.
Old 02-24-17, 07:02 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus advertises that the RX has an 8 speed transmission but has anyone noticed that it never/rarely uses gears 1-3? If you switch to "S" while at a stop, the car is always in 4th.

It also seems odd that the advertised 295hp also arrives at the redline. Most cars give you a couple hundred RPMs after max HP to redline.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)