RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 08:16 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
So this has happened twice now in the last couple days... I need to take the car in but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I think its different from the hesitation issues which I have as well.

On the freeway twice, the transmission seems to have gotten stuck on a low gear and wouldnt change... the rpms got to around 4k and then jumped awkwardly down like it was skipping gears. I had this same thing happen on my old accord before the transmission blew...

For what its worth, its a 350 f sport with 2800 miles.
1)what drive mode were you in?

2) what transmission mode were you?

3) Did use drcc?
Old 07-24-16, 08:30 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in Sport mode, the transmission was in drive, DRCC was not on.

I think my description above is a bit off... it will get stuck around 4k rpm and the engine will be reving hard, i would have to let go of the gas, then tap it again, and it drops out of the gear its stuck on then works ok again.
Old 07-24-16, 09:51 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't had that issue, but I took a road trip yesterday and notices some hard shifts while on the interstate at 70 MPH. When the car would downshift to go up hill or pass the car seems to shudder a little then shift very harshly. I am going to take in soon to have checked out. I have noticed the behavior you had only with ddcc on.
Old 07-24-16, 11:58 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

get it checked out. make sure you record a video of it if they can't replicate it at the dealer which happens 99% of the time
Old 07-24-16, 05:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like normal transmission logic in sport mode. While it tries its hardest, the transmission AI cannot always accurately predict what the driver is doing. What you're describing occurs when you jab the throttle and let off quickly, then get back on it. It'll hold the gear awkwardly long, anticipating you're attempting to full throttle. Seems like you caught the transmission in one of these scenarios.
Old 08-04-16, 10:21 AM
2016rx350X
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue solved

To answer your hesitation question:
It retards the timing for the first 5000 miles or until the oil is changed. As soon as I did oil change and filter, I use premium gas always, that awful hesitation went away on mine. It's was downright jerky at times especially at wide open throttle highway. Now is gone, as the oil gets closer to change time the hesitation slowly returns, must have a sensor or some ****. My BMW does same thing... I now have another problem developing though, the 6th to 5th gear downshift is bone jarring hard and getting worse every month. Anyone else had this on the new ZF HP8 trans? This is an all wheel drive model also, not sure if that makes any dif.
Old 08-04-16, 12:49 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016rx350X
To answer your hesitation question:
It retards the timing for the first 5000 miles or until the oil is changed. As soon as I did oil change and filter, I use premium gas always, that awful hesitation went away on mine. It's was downright jerky at times especially at wide open throttle highway. Now is gone, as the oil gets closer to change time the hesitation slowly returns, must have a sensor or some ****. My BMW does same thing... I now have another problem developing though, the 6th to 5th gear downshift is bone jarring hard and getting worse every month. Anyone else had this on the new ZF HP8 trans? This is an all wheel drive model also, not sure if that makes any dif.
So you are saying that Lexus has it programmed to stop the hesitation when you change the oil at 5000 miles.

I am not so sure about that.
Old 08-04-16, 09:00 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Especially when the oil gets changed at 10K miles and not 5k.
Old 08-08-16, 11:57 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Bumping this back up so Lexus will take notice. My f sport is way too challenging to drive smooth off the line with throttle inputs that keep the eco light on. Never had this issue with my 3rx. Idle is smooth but light acceleration is very challenging, kind of lumpy feeling. You have to peddle the throttle to get some smoothness. Near impossible to have a smooth take off and light acceleration in this car. As others noted, aggressive starts are butter smooth. Fix this Lexus! One reason we did not get a pilot or mdx was due to their terrible 9 speed. Super disappointed Lexus' 8 needs tuning too. The 5k oil change theory is questionable too...especially because my car is super smooth when accelerating moderate to full throttle.

Last edited by s4iscool; 08-08-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-08-16, 12:17 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Bumping this back up so Lexus will take notice. My f sport is way too challenging to drive smooth off the line with thrilled inputs that keep the eco light on. Never had this issue with my 3rx. Idle is smooth but light acceleration is very challenging. You have to peddle the throttle to get some smoothness. Near impossible to have a smooth take off and light acceleration in this car. As others noted, aggressive starts are butter smooth. Fix this Lexus! One reason we did not get a pilot or mdx was due to their terrible 9 speed. Super disappointed Lexus' 8 needs tuning too. The 5k oil change theory is questionable too...especially because my car is super smooth when accelerating moderate to full throttle.
F sport model here: no issues with what you are saying. If I tap the gas to keep it in the eco area its just slow but smooth.
Old 08-15-16, 08:54 AM
HerRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue.

Originally Posted by Larryu
So you are saying it is most likely a transmission issue, may well be but my Lexus dealer says it is working "as it should" nothing to fix!

If others share this problem with their dealers maybe we can get Lexus to correct this for us?
I agree that this seems to be a transmission issue. The service rep told me that he always drives the 2016 RX cars in the Sport Mode to stop the uneven acceleration. We have done this and it helps to alleviate the problem. Our car seems to have the problem at light acceleration. It acts like the car's engine is missing under these conditions. Dealer's rep also told me that there was nothing to be done to the car.
Old 08-15-16, 11:19 AM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Light acceleration is an issue even in Sport mode. My dealer told me the same thing; that Lexus has not issue a Technical Service Bulletin on it.
Old 08-15-16, 11:59 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

they will have to if enough people keep complaining. They have people that browse these forums and I can guarantee you the 2017 will have updated software (once they fix it)
Old 08-15-16, 02:39 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Same problems as on 216 Tacoma

Originally Posted by s4iscool
they will have to if enough people keep complaining. They have people that browse these forums and I can guarantee you the 2017 will have updated software (once they fix it)
This is a the same problem people are having with the '16 Tacoma (which uses the same engine). Toyota issued a TBS and things are doing much better. I believe Lexus will have the fix in the MY'17. Keep the complains coming.
Old 09-29-16, 07:11 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RX350 Hesitation

Just brought my 16' 450h in for the fuel tank ring recall so they gave me a 16' RX350 for a loaner. I can't believe how terrible the lag and lack of responsiveness is when you push down on the accelerator. Absolutely pitiful. So glad I bought the 450.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)