RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 06:36 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
does it stiffen up the steering in sport mode in the rx350? I prefer the tour mode steering feel with sport mode transmission shifting.
If you have a F sport then though can customize ur so that the transmission would be in sorry and leave the suspension in eco or normal.
Old 01-15-17, 06:43 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
what did they do to it? Did they give you a work order?
Originally Posted by Darith
UPDATE: HEY GUYS! So far so good. I took my 16' 4RX in for the 5K service last weekend (told them about the transmission hesitation problem), and ever since I received the vehicle back, I haven't experienced the hesitation anymore in Normal driving mode (I'm in the Texas Southern Region and still using Regular 87 fuel). The engine acceleration feels much more responsive & predictable and driving is a lot more fun now. I feel like I can finally drive with confidence when crossing the street.
Could you give us more detail about the fix? Thanks!
Old 01-18-17, 07:41 PM
P17rx350
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to give the group an update, my wife put 93 Octane in the car and noticed an immediate difference. She's been driving for the last week and the car is night and day different. Significantly smoother with the higher octane and the cars drives much better, take off is smoother and more aggressive. I didn't believe her so I drove the car and I'm a believer, still some very slight hesitation as I tried to create the hesitation scenario but I can say I like driving the car now. So that leads me to ask the question, is the problems trans related or is the engine tuned to run on the higher octane but Lexus is marketing their cars can run on 87 to increase sales? All the other Japanese and Luxury brands recommend premium gas for their 6 cylinder engines. I think Lexus still has some work to do on the transmission logic but as others have commented the premium gas definitely helps.
Old 01-18-17, 11:45 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like just a US con to make them more appealable.

In Australia, the Toyota/Lexus recommended fuel is Premium... same cars.. same engines.
Old 01-19-17, 03:00 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P17rx350
Wanted to give the group an update, my wife put 93 Octane in the car and noticed an immediate difference. She's been driving for the last week and the car is night and day different. Significantly smoother with the higher octane and the cars drives much better, take off is smoother and more aggressive. I didn't believe her so I drove the car and I'm a believer, still some very slight hesitation as I tried to create the hesitation scenario but I can say I like driving the car now. So that leads me to ask the question, is the problems trans related or is the engine tuned to run on the higher octane but Lexus is marketing their cars can run on 87 to increase sales? All the other Japanese and Luxury brands recommend premium gas for their 6 cylinder engines. I think Lexus still has some work to do on the transmission logic but as others have commented the premium gas definitely helps.
In my understanding they use a timing advance algorithm in combination with knock sensors. The system tries to achieve Optimum torque without knock in the entire rpm range. In high load higher rpms the timing is adjusted to avoid engine damage which means optimum torque won't be the same for lower octane vs higher octane. So with higher octane you may notice a performance gain and possibly fuel saving if you are routinely heavy on throttle. May not be enough to justify the extra cost. Also, the system needs consistency in fuel octane for best performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by 615tpc:
Oldernu (05-02-19), P17rx350 (01-20-17)
Old 01-20-17, 02:41 AM
P17rx350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I've also asked her to track fuel economy for the next few tanks as well. For her it's not about the performance as she's a slow driver but she's definitely happy about the smoother drive.
Old 01-22-17, 08:25 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chandlervt
Same thing happens with NX. As one poster suggested, its because the car cannot find the right gear. This usually happens if you try to accelerate really fast from stop (or from slower speed). You may want to switch to sport mode if you want to do that and see if that resolves the issue.
Coming from an NX, I can say the NX didn't have transmission issues like this main issue described in this thread. The latter issue you describe is a common problem for many transmissions though.
Old 01-22-17, 10:53 PM
msh3l
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter64
Sounds like just a US con to make them more appealable.

In Australia, the Toyota/Lexus recommended fuel is Premium... same cars.. same engines.
Same here,

95 octane is recommended as per car manual.
Old 01-25-17, 08:27 AM
Mrdirt
Driver School Candidate

Default Hesitation & Noise & Vibration

I too am a first time Lexus buyer with a RX350 and have noticed the same hesitation in the lower gears. Additionally, I hear what I can only describe as a "low moan" associated with a vibration when starting slowly. It is most pronounced when starting up a low incline. I just had a 5K service where I complained about these issues for the second time and was told that some drivers are complaining about this but that Lexus has not developed a "fix" for this just yet. They will not admit that it is a problem but it is clear that other drivers are experiencing these issues. I have a front wheel drive and am wondering if these problems are experienced by both front wheel and all wheel cars.
Old 01-25-17, 09:57 AM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the all-wheel-drive and I have the same vibration and hesitation issues.
Old 01-25-17, 10:15 AM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This New review of RX350 states that Premium gas is recommended for performance.

Video at 12:55
The following users liked this post:
Ibmimi (06-13-17)
Old 01-25-17, 10:19 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

sad to report that after enjoying smoother throttle response on premium for 5 tanks, things reverted. Sad how we cant get a straight story from Lexus and its dealers...there is a fix, there isnt a fix, theres no problem, lexus knows and working on a fix, it's coming...
Old 01-26-17, 07:59 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This probably should be merged with the noise and vibration part of the forum as it all seems to tie in together .
Old 01-26-17, 08:29 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if anything was done to update mine, but the hesitation seems to be disappearing ever since I reached the 3000+ miles. I have always used BP regular gas except for one tank of Shell regular.
Old 02-06-17, 12:31 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
what did they do to it? Did they give you a work order?
I apologize for the delayed response I was searching for the print out from the last visit at the dealership since the fix. I look at the work order (I stressed this acceleration/transition hesitation issue to the rep who was taking care of me and she did notify the mechanics about it), but there was nothing on the physical print out that lists the fix for it as I do believe what another member mentioned before in this thread that it would be a discreet fix once you bring your vehicle into the dealership (which makes me curious if it was an ECU transmission setting to make the MPG numbers look good, but don't quote me on that as I'm just speculating). To update from my last post, the hesitation transmission issue is still gone/fixed and it's still a pleasure to drive (and I'm still putting in regular 87 gas the entire time).

I'm trying to track my MPG to see if it has been affected, but I do mostly 70% city/30% highway and the highest was 24 MPG but average around 17-18 MPG which does seem a bit low...

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)