RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Worried about curb rash

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 10:46 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Question Worried about curb rash

Does anyone have any tips or ways to protect the rims from accidentally scraping it on the curb etc?

I saw this on amazon

Amazon.com: RimPro-Tec Wheel Rim Protection Full Kit, Set of 4 x Black Bases and Black Inners: Automotive Amazon.com: RimPro-Tec Wheel Rim Protection Full Kit, Set of 4 x Black Bases and Black Inners: Automotive

not sure how good it is.

As I will not be the only driver, I want to ensure that the wheels can be protected the best they can.

I thought they had a clear bra but they can install it on the wheels instead but I guess that doesn't exist.
Old 01-04-16, 10:54 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nope, only thing you can do is park responsibly.
Old 01-04-16, 10:59 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Not sure I would use these but I did experience curb rash a few weeks ago and it was pretty depressing. After searching through the forums (lexus and BMW), I found Mr. Son Tran aka magician of wheels who operates and owns onsite wheels. He fixed it and color matched the wheels perfectly. I drove 50 miles to see him and it was well worth it. What a great humble guy! If you opt against this and experience some curb rash, I'd definitely recommend him.

Last edited by Pyt; 01-04-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 11:28 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

No way I would put those on my wheels.

Have not hit a curb in years.

With today's birds eye view cameras on the 4RX . . . well there is not much of an excuse.
Old 01-04-16, 11:44 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pyt,

Where is Son Tran's business located at? Would you send me his contact info if you don't mind.
Thanks,
Old 01-04-16, 12:00 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

http://onsitewheels.com/ (from Google)

11801 Cardinal Cir
Unit J
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Last edited by gregjhonda; 01-04-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 12:11 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
No way I would put those on my wheels.

Have not hit a curb in years.

With today's birds eye view cameras on the 4RX . . . well there is not much of an excuse.
lol I agree. But accidents do happen, and the lady would be driving it too and she drives a a teeny IS. NOT saying women are bad drivers.
Old 01-04-16, 12:12 PM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
Thanks Greg. Son's the man!

RxOwner, there really is no excuse but it happens... For me, I backed into a parking spot and stayed as close to the curb as possible as it was the first spot to avoid door dings. When I pulled out, I forgotten I was that close to the curb and boom, it happened. When I pull out of spots now, I hit the view button so it comes up even when it's in drive. Hopefully, that helps me prevent any future visits to Son.
Old 01-04-16, 12:12 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pyt
Interesting. Not sure I would use these but I did experience curb rash a few weeks ago and it was pretty depressing. After searching through the forums (lexus and BMW), I found Mr. Son Tran aka magician of wheels who operates and owns onsite wheels. He fixed it and color matched the wheels perfectly. I drove 50 miles to see him and it was well worth it. What a great humble guy! If you opt against this and experience some curb rash, I'd definitely recommend him.

OMY. Pyt, i just cringed a little when I saw that. Oh god...

How much was son tran's service? I feel like this is like a wheel alignment. It fixes it but it may happen again and then you have to pay more. haha
Old 01-04-16, 12:13 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the Panoramic view you can enable it when in D traveling less than 10 mph by pushing the view button or enabling auto mode (which makes it turn on at stop lights, bad). You can also zoom into a particular corner for easier viewing. It certainly helps me avoid curbing the rims.
Old 01-04-16, 12:26 PM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
OMY. Pyt, i just cringed a little when I saw that. Oh god...

How much was son tran's service? I feel like this is like a wheel alignment. It fixes it but it may happen again and then you have to pay more. haha
Can you imagine how my wife felt? It's her brand new car I was driving.

Unowned - good point. I do use the view button when in D mode now. I didn't know you can zoom in so I'll make note of that. It does get a little more difficult to see when it's at night and the surroundings aren't as lit up so zooming in should definitely fix that.
Old 01-04-16, 01:06 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

unfortunately we have potholes here in Houston that can contribute to curb rash...

never heard of those rimpro-tec ... but I'm not against it.... might be worth trying out as I seem to get curb rash without hitting curbs...
Old 01-04-16, 09:37 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Haha that rim protect product on amazon is funny! Even when they are installed you can still curb and damage the protectors so wheel will still looks ugly. Yes it will protect your rims but you will still be driving around with curbed protectors which is just as ugly. And to replace them is way expensive. $100 for a set everytime you curb? And also this will not protect you from curb wheel brought on by car mechanics and tire store employees. I just had a Lexus mechanic drop a wrench on my wheel while rotating tires for my Lexus GS and lexus fixed it on there dime.
Old 01-04-16, 10:19 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Park a foot away from the kerb. That way there's no chance to kerb it is there?

Also, you shouldn't have trouble mounting the kerb due to hefty sidewall anyway
Old 01-05-16, 07:02 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Haha that rim protect product on amazon is funny! Even when they are installed you can still curb and damage the protectors so wheel will still looks ugly. Yes it will protect your rims but you will still be driving around with curbed protectors which is just as ugly. And to replace them is way expensive. $100 for a set everytime you curb? And also this will not protect you from curb wheel brought on by car mechanics and tire store employees. I just had a Lexus mechanic drop a wrench on my wheel while rotating tires for my Lexus GS and lexus fixed it on there dime.
I think the insert pops out and can be replaced for about $40...

Yes, I've also gotten rim damage from tire rotations, etc... they always try to claim it was not their fault. Started taking pictures of my rims before I take it in.

Quick Reply: Worried about curb rash