RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Baby Infant Toddler Car seat on the 4RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 04:03 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Baby Infant Toddler Car seat on the 4RX

The 2016 Lexus Rx 350 450 does not have any LATCH at the center position, only at the sides. It does not matter because the car seat industry in 2015 turned their backs on years of pushing customers towards the supposed safest way, LATCH. Long story short, in 2016 LATCH IS NO LONGER SAFE if TOTAL WEIGHT between CHILD AND CAR SEAT is more than 65 pounds. This means that seat belts are more important going forward instead of LATCH since the combined weight of baby and car seat reaches 65 pounds very fast.

I went with a Britax Frontier HARNESS TO BOOSTER car seat upgraded from an infant car seat because it would better cover all the new regulations while still providing BOTH a 5 point HARNESS with INCLINE to avoiding the head from falling forward while taking a nap.

Here are some photos of the BRITAX FRONTIER CLICKTIGHT HARNESS TO BOOSTER CAR SEAT vibe color inside the 2016 Lexus RX 350 450. Theres's lots of space everywhere including behind the driver and a medium person could fit uncomfortably in the middle of the second row for a 20-30 minute trip.

Last edited by noeldavid; 01-03-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 04:07 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Britax Frontier Harness to Booster inclined inside 2016 Lexus RX
Old 01-03-16, 04:09 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Old 01-03-16, 04:10 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Old 01-03-16, 04:15 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Britax Frontier Harness to Booster. Upgrade from an Infant carrier ( Britax Chaperone ). Rear facing for 1 to 1.5 years in the infant and then STRAIGHT tto BOOSTER from INFANT! Awesome.
Old 01-03-16, 06:25 PM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noeldavid

Britax Frontier Harness to Booster. Upgrade from an Infant carrier ( Britax Chaperone ). Rear facing for 1 to 1.5 years in the infant and then STRAIGHT tto BOOSTER from INFANT! Awesome.
What seat protector do you use? Is it good? I heard some seat protector "melting" into the leather seat and hard to clean.
Old 01-03-16, 07:17 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

I use the most reviewed car seat protector on amazon with almost 600 reviews.

BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector

It cost around $30 each.

I have used 2 of them for 4 years on leather seats in a Toyota Sequoia and they only leave temporary indentations.
Old 01-04-16, 08:51 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize there weren't any latch positions for the center seat and I've been told it's the safest location to place a car seat for newborns. Are you able to use the middle seat belt in place of the latch straps or is that not recommended for newborns?
Old 01-04-16, 09:27 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyt
I didn't realize there weren't any latch positions for the center seat and I've been told it's the safest location to place a car seat for newborns. Are you able to use the middle seat belt in place of the latch straps or is that not recommended for newborns?
The wife and I use the Orbit baby system. It's a separate base that allows you to use the seat belt or the latch system, worked perfect got us since the RX did not have the middle latch. It's a little pricey, but versatile to where the components grow with the child.

We're using the same seat protector with the Orbit base and no marks or intentions were left on the seat of our old car.
Old 01-10-16, 10:12 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

It looks like borrowing the latches for the center seat location isn't approved by lexus so I tried using the center shoulder seat belt option and I can't get it tight enough to a point where the seat doesn't move more than an inch. I tried pulling the belt all the way out to lock it but it doesn't seem to tighten as well as borrowing the latches on both ends. Any suggestions?

Assuming the center is no longer an option, I presume the rear passenger side is the safer of the two?
Old 01-10-16, 10:54 AM
Gleevec
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pyt
It looks like borrowing the latches for the center seat location isn't approved by lexus so I tried using the center shoulder seat belt option and I can't get it tight enough to a point where the seat doesn't move more than an inch. I tried pulling the belt all the way out to lock it but it doesn't seem to tighten as well as borrowing the latches on both ends. Any suggestions?

Assuming the center is no longer an option, I presume the rear passenger side is the safer of the two?
Hi,
I have same issue. I ended up using the center seat latches, it feels extremely secure to me (much more so than using belt). Here is an article on it: http://thecarseatlady.com/using-latc...nter-overview/

I may go back to belt install if I can get it tight, I think most of these fears our unfounded, that said none of us want to take any risks with our children

Last edited by Gleevec; 01-10-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 12:13 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

I just read the link from The Car Seat Lady and it states that Lexus DOES NOT allow Latch installations on the center seat.

The reason the car seat seems loose is because you need to set the center seat belt in LOCK MODE or ALR.

Automatic locking retractor (ALR)
When a passenger’s shoulder belt is completely extended and then retracted even slightly, the belt is locked in that position and cannot be extended. This feature is used to hold the child restraint system (CRS) firmly. To free the belt again, fully retract the belt and then pull the belt out once more.

Put your weight on top of the car seat and PULL the seat belt completely to ENABLE lock mode and secure car seat in place.
Old 01-10-16, 12:23 PM
Gleevec
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by noeldavid
I just read the link from The Car Seat Lady and it states that Lexus DOES NOT allow Latch installations on the center seat.

The reason the car seat seems loose is because you need to set the center seat belt in LOCK MODE or ALR.

Automatic locking retractor (ALR)
When a passenger’s shoulder belt is completely extended and then retracted even slightly, the belt is locked in that position and cannot be extended. This feature is used to hold the child restraint system (CRS) firmly. To free the belt again, fully retract the belt and then pull the belt out once more.

Put your weight on top of the car seat and PULL the seat belt completely to ENABLE lock mode and secure car seat in place.
Yeah she is anti-center seat LATCH borrowing the inter LATCH. However, if you are close to 11in gap between the inner LATCH, it may not be as big a deal. I think its all relative. If you can get a good seatbelt install on center seat that is probably better than center seat LATCH borrowing the inner LATCHes. Can always do side seat LATCH as well.
Old 01-31-16, 11:22 AM
noeldavid
Rookie

2016 Lexus RX with a Diono Rainier and a Diono Pacifica. Compared to the Britax Frontier Clicktight the Dionos have 2 inches smaller width combined. Now my 10 year old nephew can sit in the middle. No space for adults. The Diono Pacifica weights 27 (without cup holder and without baby insert) and my 4 year old weights 40 so 67 total pounds combined more that the allowed latch installation limit of 65 pounds which means seat belt installation.

Old 01-31-16, 11:59 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

man. that's the interior I'm getting. its LIGHT. I didn't realize how light it was.. haha

No kids here but I'm going to optiguard my interior and get one of these for the back seats

Amazon.com : Elegant Comfort® Quilted Design %100 Waterproof Premium Quality Bench Car Seat Protector Cover (Entire Rear Seat) for Pets - TIES TO STOP SLIPPING OFF THE BENCH, Black : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Elegant Comfort® Quilted Design %100 Waterproof Premium Quality Bench Car Seat Protector Cover (Entire Rear Seat) for Pets - TIES TO STOP SLIPPING OFF THE BENCH, Black : Pet Supplies

Quick Reply: Baby Infant Toddler Car seat on the 4RX