RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tinting Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 04:16 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

30% F1 Pinnacle on the front windows matches the rears nicely. I would probably go 40 next time, because the 30 is a little dark for me. I rely on the BSD indicators in the mirrors and they look a little dim with 30.
Old 04-06-16, 07:24 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to keep in mind that the rear windows on an SUV is privacy glass, not tinted glass. It only provides privacy, not heat rejection.

I tinted my front windows with 25% ceramic and the rest of the RX (including front windshield) with 70% ceramic. Those who don't tint their front windshield are really missing out. Its usually the largest piece of glass on the car so it impacts your climate control and UV damage the most.

I have crystalline on my GS and I use to run my AC at 68 in the summer. I can run it at 72 - 74 and it has the same results.

Will post pics of the tinted RX later.
The following users liked this post:
PCW (05-18-21)
Old 04-07-16, 03:32 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Registration stickers go on the windshield where I live. For those who have tint on their windshields would it be feasible for me to have my windshield tinted knowing I would have to apply and remove that sticker annually? How would I go about that without damaging the tint? Thanks!
Old 04-07-16, 05:35 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceCL
Registration stickers go on the windshield where I live. For those who have tint on their windshields would it be feasible for me to have my windshield tinted knowing I would have to apply and remove that sticker annually? How would I go about that without damaging the tint? Thanks!
What you can do is get clear electrostatic tape/sheet. Cut it to the same size as your registration sticker. Assuming your registration sticker has some kind of adhesion, adhere that side to the non-electro side of the tape. Then put the electrostatic side of the tape on your windshield. I got mine at staples. The product is something like this but I was able to buy 1 clear 11 X 8.5 for a couple dollars.
http://www.staples.com/Wizard-Wall-S...YF078276494689

Here is my RX with Suntek PPF front bumper/lights/emblem and hood. Tint is ceramic (70% front windshield and rears, 25% front windows)

Last edited by pqn628; 04-07-16 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-07-16, 05:59 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Originally Posted by roblim
30% F1 Pinnacle on the front windows matches the rears nicely. I would probably go 40 next time, because the 30 is a little dark for me. I rely on the BSD indicators in the mirrors and they look a little dim with 30.
Just a suggestion but I don't think you should entirely be relying on BSM for the safety of others on the road.
Old 04-07-16, 07:25 PM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pqn628
What you can do is get clear electrostatic tape/sheet. Cut it to the same size as your registration sticker. Assuming your registration sticker has some kind of adhesion, adhere that side to the non-electro side of the tape. Then put the electrostatic side of the tape on your windshield. I got mine at staples. The product is something like this but I was able to buy 1 clear 11 X 8.5 for a couple dollars.
Great idea! Thanks for the response.
Old 04-08-16, 10:52 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Just a suggestion but I don't think you should entirely be relying on BSM for the safety of others on the road.
Point well taken. I would never rely entirely on BSM, but i do sorely miss it when i am in a car that doesn't have it. BSM and the cross traffic alert feature makes driving vehicles with poor visibility a lot easier.
Old 06-25-18, 02:42 AM
seifiw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solar qualities of front windshield

The front windshield heats up from exposure to sun rays and keeps radiating heat inside the car and the heat effect continues despite having the A/C on. The windshield doesn't have any insulating qualities and the heat annoys the driver and front seat passenger. What can be done to resolve this problem?
Old 06-25-18, 06:34 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by seifiw
The front windshield heats up from exposure to sun rays and keeps radiating heat inside the car and the heat effect continues despite having the A/C on. The windshield doesn't have any insulating qualities and the heat annoys the driver and front seat passenger. What can be done to resolve this problem?
1:Keep your car garaged at all times.
2:Move to Alaska.
Old 06-26-18, 12:34 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seifiw
I put CR70 3M Crystalline on my windshield and front windows, and the difference in heat rejection is pretty noticeable. I'd say the ability of the 3M Crystalline to reduce heat is much better than the factory tint, despite the factory tint being many orders of magnitude darker. With the shade of tint is so light, it looks like the windshield has no tint on it whatsoever, thus, I have zero worries about being pulled over, etc. I also have detected 0 difference in nighttime driving. I am however, enjoying my much cooler (temperature wise) interior while driving in the summer heat.
Old 08-25-20, 08:09 AM
Gary5064
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 RX350 Hot inside...needs windshield tinted

Originally Posted by Rlopis
About to buy RX 350 Lexus SUV. Are all windows tinted?
Anyone had windshield tinted? My 2020 gets too hot inside?
Old 08-25-20, 09:05 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Check local laws, pretty sure it is not legal to tint the windshield below
a certain point. I don't see them on my Lexus ES but recall seeing a
mark on either side of the windshield 4-5 inches below the header that
was the lowest you could tint the front glass.

If not rainy or dusty I vent my sunroof on hot days. Today for instance is
going to be 95 F here in Chicago with a forecast of 98 tomorrow! My Lexus
App reminds me it's open...can not close it remotely however
Old 05-17-21, 01:36 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Evans4g63
I just tinted my RX windshield with llumar air 80 for heat/rays reduction which works great.. The only time you could truly tell its there is when it's sunny out you see that light blue shade.. I always used F1 50% for the front windows which I was really surprised by its look of high quality compare to the other tints I haves you before especially from the inside..
​​​​Do you still have the RX with windshield tint? I plan on getting the Llumar tint as well at 70% or 80%, any problems with the dot matrix or rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses?

Thank you
Old 05-17-21, 01:38 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628

Here is my RX with Suntek PPF front bumper/lights/emblem and hood. Tint is ceramic (70% front windshield and rears, 25% front windows)

​​​​Do you still have the RX with windshield tint? I plan on getting the Llumar ceramic tint at 70% or 80%, any problems with the dot matrix or rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses? Thank you
Old 05-22-21, 05:57 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Same here. I have 3M Crystalline all around. But with 80 on the front windshield.

Not only cuts heat in the summer, but also cuts glare year round and makes driving not so "taxing".

Plus the AC unit does not have to work that hard to keep interior cool in the summer.......

Originally Posted by jwong77
I put CR70 3M Crystalline on my windshield and front windows, and the difference in heat rejection is pretty noticeable. I'd say the ability of the 3M Crystalline to reduce heat is much better than the factory tint, despite the factory tint being many orders of magnitude darker. With the shade of tint is so light, it looks like the windshield has no tint on it whatsoever, thus, I have zero worries about being pulled over, etc. I also have detected 0 difference in nighttime driving. I am however, enjoying my much cooler (temperature wise) interior while driving in the summer heat.

Quick Reply: Tinting Windshield