RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tinting Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 09:48 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Tinting Windshield

SO I was planning on tinting my windshield with 90% 3m Crystalline.

I was reading the manual, yes I do that, and it says do NOT tint the windshield if you have the camera installed.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-16, 10:05 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

I was reading the manual, yes I do that, and it says do NOT tint the windshield if you have the camera installed.

Thoughts?
Are you taking about front windshield? Is it legal to tint front windshield? I wanted to tint front windshield but it's illegal in my state so I could not do it. But, I tinted driver and passenger windows 40% rear and back windows limo dark. I installed dashcam so I have cameras front and back inside the car. They work totally fine
Old 01-03-16, 10:14 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Def. illegal in california.

But 90% to the visible eye shows up as no tint. Just worried it will mess with the safety system functions.
Old 01-03-16, 10:15 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qktnpfhs
Are you taking about front windshield? Is it legal to tint front windshield? I wanted to tint front windshield but it's illegal in my state so I could not do it. But, I tinted driver and passenger windows 40% rear and back windows limo dark. I installed dashcam so I have cameras front and back inside the car. They work totally fine
So since the RX has pre-tinted windows in the rear and back, what percentage did you use for your limo tint? still 5%? I heard that the pre tinted windows are 20%
Old 01-03-16, 10:24 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

So since the RX has pre-tinted windows in the rear and back, what percentage did you use for your limo tint? still 5%? I heard that the pre tinted windows are 20%
You are right. RX has pre-tinted windows so the tinting guy told me he can just add on that. I don't remember exactly but it was not 5% but it's limo dark now
Old 01-03-16, 10:28 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

But 90% to the visible eye shows up as no tint. Just worried it will mess with the safety system functions.
I know what you mean. I heard some tinting film has some metal stuff in it and it could distract sensors. You should talk to tint shop guys. They are the experts so I'm sure they have some solutions for you
Old 01-03-16, 09:02 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a few friends who tinted their front windshields with very light tint that you can barely tell its on and they had no problems with it. Question i have is, how will this work out in cold/snowy areas where fog is always a big issue....
Old 01-03-16, 09:16 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thoughts?
The camera and rain sensor is inside the cover that shouldn't be removed during the tinting so it should be unaffected by the tint. I plan to do the same and get every window tinted with the 90% crystalline too.
Old 01-04-16, 05:28 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Used to be illegal in my state and they would pull you over to test the tint if it looked to dark.

But today the police are having their windows tinted very dark, way darker than what is legal so they no longer enforce the tint law
Old 01-04-16, 06:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Um, it's illegal in all 50 states to tint your windshield below the AS1 line, and some states don't even allow that.

90% will basically look like clear glass. What is the point? UV protection? Heat reduction?
Old 01-04-16, 10:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Um, it's illegal in all 50 states to tint your windshield below the AS1 line, and some states don't even allow that.

90% will basically look like clear glass. What is the point? UV protection? Heat reduction?
Yeah, if I tinted it, it would stritcly be for UV protection and heat rejection since so much socal heat comes from the windshield and it would help protect the dashboard from uv damage.
Old 03-12-16, 12:29 AM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front windshield tint to reduce glare especially with bad astigmatism

And keeps cabin a lot cooler
Old 03-12-16, 03:49 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Never seen a tint product that does not distort and would never put on ANY of my windows much less the windshield just for the "cool factor".

Keeping the "cabin cooler" is just an excuse.
Old 03-12-16, 08:26 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had 90% crystalline installed on a 2010 Prius windshield. Took it off after a couple of weeks due to the distortion. It was the low angle of the windshield that made the distortion very visible. On the side glass, the 90% crystallline had no distortion. I also rode in the installer's BMW 3 series with CR70 on the windshield. No distortion at all. I did notice a big reduction in heat with the windshield tint. Much more comfortable to drive on long trips. Less fatigue.

I used to be a big fan of crystalline, but recently tried Formula 1 Pinnacle when i had the front windows tinted on my RX. I like F1 better. Heat rejection is about the same. The color of F1 is more charcoal than Crystalline which looks blue or green to me.
Old 03-12-16, 08:45 AM
Evans4g63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I had 90% crystalline installed on a 2010 Prius windshield. Took it off after a couple of weeks due to the distortion. It was the low angle of the windshield that made the distortion very visible. On the side glass, the 90% crystallline had no distortion. I also rode in the installer's BMW 3 series with CR70 on the windshield. No distortion at all. I did notice a big reduction in heat with the windshield tint. Much more comfortable to drive on long trips. Less fatigue.

I used to be a big fan of crystalline, but recently tried Formula 1 Pinnacle when i had the front windows tinted on my RX. I like F1 better. Heat rejection is about the same. The color of F1 is more charcoal than Crystalline which looks blue or green to me.
I just tinted my RX windshield with llumar air 80 for heat/rays reduction which works great.. The only time you could truly tell its there is when it's sunny out you see that light blue shade.. I always used F1 50% for the front windows which I was really surprised by its look of high quality compare to the other tints I haves you before especially from the inside..
Attached Thumbnails Tinting Windshield-photo93.jpg   Tinting Windshield-photo145.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tinting Windshield