RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 09:28 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

I'm at about 1250 miles on our new RX and I've noticed that there are already small rock chips/etching on the front bumper
We drive on the highway on weekends mostly and I suspect that is when the knicks were incurred due to the high speed. I've decide to get a clear bra PPF kit ASAP from carprotectionpros.com for the bumper, hood, headlights, and mirrors. have any of you installed such protection on your cars? I'm going to go with the pre-cut Xpel Ultimate and install myself. I've done decal installs on various things and have experience with applying this kind of adhesive film. I haven't purchased yet so if you guys know of any other resellers or deals can you share your info and experience? The PPF kit from carprotectionpros.com comes out to $399 (deluxe kit with Xpel ultimate, install squeegee, tax, and shipping).
Another option I am considering is getting an Opticoat treatment, but somehow I don't feel like it will protect the paint like the urethane Xpel film. If I install the Xpel film can I still opticoat over it and or wax the surface as well as the rest of the RX? any insight would be appreciated!!

Last edited by hkbruin2; 01-02-16 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Emoticon error
Old 01-02-16, 11:15 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

you must got some mad skillz if you can do a clearbra yourself....

This place in SoCal will also sell pre-cut kits
http://www.stickercity.com/
Old 01-02-16, 11:32 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had XPel film on my 2002 BMW 530i, 2006 RX400h and new 2015 RX450h. All have been professionally installed and still look wonderful. I don't think I would dare try to do it myself.
Old 01-02-16, 11:42 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't have the budget for a clear bra pkg on my car, but when my car is in the tint shop, I will place a strip of clear bra between the rear bumper protector (plastic) and the bumper itself since it seems so easy to drag something out of the car and scratch the top of the rear bumper...
Old 01-03-16, 12:31 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

I used the Search function and found a lot of useful information on the other sub forums. I will probably go with the Xpel ultimate and then opticoat over the entire car, glass, wheels. I'm on somewhat of a budget myself, but seeing that a little over a month of weekend driving has resulted in a few rock chips, I'm going to opt for the clear bra, and since I have the obsidian black paint, the opticoat is probably worth it it to protect against marring and swirls. I'm going to call a few professional installers and see what the price delta will be compared to a DIY install. I'm seeing prices from around 800 to 1400 on some other threads, with some discounts if both the clear bra and opticoat are done together. This would also require a full detail to prep the surface for optimal results. I suppose once I sell my 03 BMW 325i I'll have just enough to cover these expenses!
Old 01-03-16, 03:42 AM
CSamurai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also debated if it is worth it...
Old 01-03-16, 04:11 AM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put full nose clear bra to my f sport, so far only 600 miles of use this is my secondary car not too much highway the clear bra protects only very small rocks and at low speed at the time of impact, have friends with full nose clear bra and noted some rock impacts that affected paint, clear bra protects but with some limitations. One can notice it's a product that is very thin and an impact by a small rock at high speed still could damage the paint.
Old 01-03-16, 04:48 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a clear bra on my last 2 cars and swear by it. Just got my new RX and will be looking to get XPel installed this week or next.
The following 2 users liked this post by EXP_Cougar:
GunnyFitz (08-24-17), mvpomaha (12-15-18)
Old 01-03-16, 05:16 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pfizer
I put full nose clear bra to my f sport, so far only 600 miles of use this is my secondary car not too much highway the clear bra protects only very small rocks and at low speed at the time of impact, have friends with full nose clear bra and noted some rock impacts that affected paint, clear bra protects but with some limitations. One can notice it's a product that is very thin and an impact by a small rock at high speed still could damage the paint.
is your car a white f sport? Paint protection film put on by lidetailers?

I have Xpel Ultimate full front end (wrapped edges) on my 15 f sport...So far no damages such as chips, etc. since I got the car on May 2015. Although I only have about 1000 miles thus far...

P.S, I did get tar on the front hood which only sat for about 25 minutes before I wiped it off, but left a yellow stain that wouldn't come out. Xpel replaced the hood film under warranty.
Old 01-03-16, 06:07 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

dont have my car yet, but I am not going to risk getting rock chips and such on my investment.

ALready have the shop and everything planned out on what I am going to get.

Many CL members in the forum recommend going to Ultimate Shield in Orange. He even has a picture of the new RX. http://www.yelp.com/biz/ultimate-shield-orange-2

Did my research and I am going with xpel ultimate for the clarity and that self healing thing. Going to do full hood, fenders, headlights, side mirrors, and they might even do rims just in case I have a mistake!

As far as opticoat, I heard it's better just to wash and wax your car monthly. I DO want to put opticoat in my interior leather to protect it from stains and spills as well as the vinyl running boards from scuffs.

But yes, all in all, from all the research, do not install it yourself because it will be a waste of money. THe RX has some mean curves and you have to do it perfectly otherwise in a few months, the edges will start peeling. And yes, get it installed on your bae.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-24-17)
Old 01-03-16, 06:09 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Oops. and YES you an still wash and wax your car with xpel on it. Still looks shiny good.
Old 01-03-16, 08:56 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Oops. and YES you an still wash and wax your car with xpel on it. Still looks shiny good.
Thanks for the all the info and experiences! I'll give Ultimate Shields a call. Would you mind sharing what their cost is? I want to have this done by the upcoming weekend or next as well. Perhaps if you refer or if we both go they can give us a deal?
Old 01-03-16, 09:01 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a 2014 RX and got a few rock chips on the hood on our first long road trip. I got the touch-up paint from the dealer and had a body shop apply it for free. The cost to repaint the hood was $400.00. Don't know what I'll do when we move up to a 2016/17 RX.
Old 01-03-16, 09:16 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I already installed xpel ultimate clearbra for whole front(hood, bumper, fenders, grill, emblem, side mirrors) right after I picked up my 16 RX F-sport. And then I bought more Xpel ultimate ppf file on Ebay to install front and rear doors and rear panels. I installed ppf front, rear doors and rear panels by myself and it took a lot of times. Now I just need to install rear bumper and trunk.

I totally understand you. My old car had so many rock chips so I decided to install ppf film(whole body) when I get a new car. When the film shop installed whole front, there was no pre-cut so the shop used whole film and then they had to cut (I personally prefer this though because it fits better) so it took a lot of time. In my case, installation came with 7 years warranty so if it turns to yellow or has some problems, they will just install to new one. It was expensive $1400 (include tax) and that's why I installed front & rear doors and rear panels by myself(It's not extremly hard but hard) but I think PPF is worth it because you don't have to worry about re painting your bumper or hood later

Last edited by qktnpfhs; 01-03-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-03-16, 09:27 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
Thanks for the all the info and experiences! I'll give Ultimate Shields a call. Would you mind sharing what their cost is? I want to have this done by the upcoming weekend or next as well. Perhaps if you refer or if we both go they can give us a deal?
haha. that would be cool. I'm not doing mine until April but maybe! This is the email he sent me.

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your interest. Here is the info you requested. Feel free to stop by our shop anytime to check out our operation. Also visit us on Yelp HERE to see what others say. We are proud to offer you the Ultimate in vehicle protection and deliver our white glove service with a smile. Because quality is priceless all of our work comes with an unconditional satisfaction guaranty as we strive to exceed your expectations. We understand you may have other price inquires out (we always encourage visiting and researching others before buying) but I do strongly suggest that price not be your determining factor (see “P.S.” quotes at bottom of this email). We most likely will not be your cheapest quote but after 15 years in business we have thousands of happy repeat clientele that will affirm that we are the best value.

Below shows clear bra / Opticoat options and pricing. You may also consider window tint and windshield skin to protect you investment! Window tint runs $269 for our 3M Premium FX film/ $389 for 3M Color Stable/ or $499 for Suntek CXP Carbon, and $699 for 3M Crystalline(your shade choice). Windshield skins run $499.

Opticoat process will take about 6-8 hours and runs $799 for Pro/ and $1199 for Pro Plus ..that covers foam wash, decontamination clay, 1 polish step, and Opti-Coat Pro sealant on the paint. We also include an additional topper coat of Opticoat gloss coat as well as the wheel faces at no additional charge (My opinion the best way to do things . That doesn't include any paint correction that may be necessary (billed $85 hr) and the fact that it should really sit for an additional 12 hours (overnight)after coating is removed to cure undisturbed. You may also consider the interior carpet, leather, and plastic ($99 ea).

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to earning your business!

Your Specific Vehicle ….
Total Price* = $799 installed. Includes partial Hood, Fenders, Mirrors / and full Bumper. Add $799 for Full Hood and Full Fenders. We also have additional protection options available (pricing and coverage options shown below). * Sales tax will be 8% on half the total cost. Quote inclusive of 3M Ventureshield, Clearshield, and Suntek films(our personal favorite). Add 20% for our signature wrap option/ +20% for Xpel "Ultimate" film.
2016 Lexus RX 450h F Sport:
P1912W

Full Fender and Mirror Kit (full hood not shown as it will be custom application)
P1912AJ
Bumper Kit
P1912X

Headlamp and Fog Lamp Kit
Image coming soon
Our Price: $99

Scheduling an appointment ….
Most installations take between 3-4 hours for partial coverage and 6-8 for full Hood/ fenders/ rockers, etc. Full vehicles roughly 2-3 days. You are welcome to drop off the vehicle or relax at the shop with complimentary refreshments, Direct TV, PlayStation, and Wireless Internet. We can also provide a vehicle pick up with Enterprise rentals. For address and directions click Here. Please call if you would like to set an appointment or have any questions we can help you with.

Regards,
Sean Heiland
Ultimate Auto Care, LLC
817 W. Collins Ave, Orange CA 92867

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?