RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 08:53 AM
Ricjames31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as its activated through the PDI process, its a great feature lol
Old 05-18-16, 10:36 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I find it very useful. Rather than hover over the logo, you can just touch a finger, elbow, or fist on the top part of the logo. Works just as well if not better.
Old 05-19-16, 03:07 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricjames31
just about every thing to be honest. the only you can do is adjust the height settings from lvl 1-5 and that's it.
I believe you can do a finer adjustment than the 1-5 setting. I initially had to move mine from 5 to 4 but it wasn't opening quite far enough (it hits the garage door on 5). So you push and hold the button then position the door where you want it and release the button...seems to work!
Old 05-20-16, 03:20 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by MediumRare
That is unbelievable... Thinking twice about getting it. Kick open in our Beamer works so great. Hands free, instant response, works whether locked or unlocked.
Hold your elbow or hand in front of the very top part of the Logo for about 3 seconds. Top of the "L". I found that keeping a distance of about 1/4" is ideal.

Keep an eye on the lights. As soon as they flash and you hear the beep, you have couple of seconds to move away form the logo. If you do not move quickly, after initiation, it will stop automatically and will not run again in touch-less mode. This is to ensure that the door will not hit you while opening.
Old 05-21-16, 07:25 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Suprised at how easy this works.

I'm 6'3 so my elbow is perfectly where it should be.

I was carrying luggage in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I used my elbow against the emblem and had no issues.

Another time I was carrying a large cardboard box and used my elbow again and had no problems.
Old 05-21-16, 06:00 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't get it to work reliably. And i think it's awkward to stand there with your hand extended. I would prefer a light touch to open, like the doors. Touch-less is a nice idea but it is so unreliable that i don't even bother using it.
Old 05-22-16, 07:40 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by roblim
I can't get it to work reliably. And i think it's awkward to stand there with your hand extended. I would prefer a light touch to open, like the doors. Touch-less is a nice idea but it is so unreliable that i don't even bother using it.
Then it would just open when you accidentally touch it or during rain and car wash.
Old 05-22-16, 02:01 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I just touch it and it seems to work reliably. Now I mostly fist bump it for about a second. If it doesn't work you have to back off for a couple secs then try again.

Last edited by TexasRxh; 05-24-16 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 03:33 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was originally convinced that the Touch Free was broken. After reading this thread and playing with the Touch Free I am now convinced that I just did not understand how it works.

There is a learning curve with this particular gadget but it now that I understand, it works well.
Old 05-22-16, 04:07 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hold the back of my index and middle fingers over the upper part of the L emblem for about a second and it opens every time. I use the back of my hand because I don't want to leave prints/smudges on it. I know it will not open if your shifter is in neutral or in gear-only in park.
If I am not mistaken, this sensor responds to the heat in your hand? I wash my vehicles with almost-hot water and the heat from that water was causing the hatch to open.
Old 05-23-16, 02:34 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Radio88
I just hold the back of my index and middle fingers over the upper part of the L emblem for about a second and it opens every time. I use the back of my hand because I don't want to leave prints/smudges on it. I know it will not open if your shifter is in neutral or in gear-only in park.
If I am not mistaken, this sensor responds to the heat in your hand? I wash my vehicles with almost-hot water and the heat from that water was causing the hatch to open.

I wonder if it respond like that to any of the fingers. 😆😆😆
Old 05-23-16, 02:54 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I wonder if it respond like that to any of the fingers. 😆😆😆
haha
of course it will but it's kinda more awkward using any other fingers
Old 05-24-16, 04:58 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I will start touching the L. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-28-16, 03:44 PM
jimos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Radio88
Thanks folks for the suggestions and discussion here. I was trying everything (except reading the manual - don't know if any of it would have helped - too big to read) and nothing was working. Waving the hand certainly didn't work. So I don't think it's a motion sensor like the public bathroom water controls. So after touching the top left portion of the logo, it worked great a number of times, so I thought I had it figured out. Then after parking a while in the sun, I tried opening using the no-touch again, and nothing. Getting close; nothing. Touching nothing. Tried a few things, but absolutely no response.

So is it a thermal type sensor? Does heat disable it? Anyone else experience it working or not working after parking and sitting in the sun on a hot day?
Old 08-28-16, 04:48 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by jimos
Thanks folks for the suggestions and discussion here. I was trying everything (except reading the manual - don't know if any of it would have helped - too big to read) and nothing was working. Waving the hand certainly didn't work. So I don't think it's a motion sensor like the public bathroom water controls. So after touching the top left portion of the logo, it worked great a number of times, so I thought I had it figured out. Then after parking a while in the sun, I tried opening using the no-touch again, and nothing. Getting close; nothing. Touching nothing. Tried a few things, but absolutely no response.

So is it a thermal type sensor? Does heat disable it? Anyone else experience it working or not working after parking and sitting in the sun on a hot day?
I just hold my elbow about 1/4" away from the emblem right over the top of the "L" . It works every time.

Quick Reply: Touch Free Rear Door Issues