RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Old 09-05-16, 12:47 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I come from the 2010 RX 350 not transmission issues ever, but felt lethargic. The 2016 is alot more peppy, but 1 or 2 times when coasting downhill right after pushing the gas and then coasting like on a down hill driveway. I can feel the car jump a gear and make a clunk noise...

(i know this adds no value to your question)
Old 09-07-16, 01:38 PM
DND
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my RX since Saturday and noticed a rough idle, but it was sporadic. Now coming from an 01 GS430, which was notorious for rough idles. Usually fixed with new engine mounts. However a new car with bad engine mounts, I guess there is a first time for everything.

Yesterday I paid closer attention. Driving around in the afternoon all was dandy, however once my headlights went on I noticed the rough idle. Flipping the headlights on/off I noticed the rough idle came and went. When the lights are off the engine idles at about 800RPM when the headlights kick on its jumps to 900RPM and thats when idle becomes rough. AC was On and not touch. Further investigation needs to be done, but at least I have something to tell the dealer.

I have the standard bi-led headlights btw.
Old 09-24-16, 10:38 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus Buy Back Program may be the answer for mine as well as your 2016 RX 350 with Vibration and Noise Issues… my story:

Since new (Feb. 13, 2016), my 2016 RX 350 FWD has had a droning noise present just off idle under slight load (1,100 - 1,500 RPM). The harmonics produced by this noise creates an unacceptable vibration that reverberates into the vehicle. I have taken my vehicle to four different Lexus Dealerships. Tucson AZ, Chandler AZ, Mesa AZ and Lexus of Wichita Kansas. They all acknowledge my car has a problem and all have stated that Lexus is aware of the problem but Lexus does not have a repair for it.

Along my 7 month journey, I have been in contact with Lexus Customer Care and trying/doing everything they say. That is why I have taken my vehicle to four different Dealerships for verification of the known problem with no remedy. After much frustration and disappointment, I demanded to initiate the “The Lexus Buy Back Program” that I have heard mentioned (whispered). A couple of weeks ago, I received the attached papers from Lexus and I have provided them with the information they requested. I hear the process takes about 6 weeks. I’ve also heard that they may reimburse me for my total expense of the vehicle including tax, license, fees ($59,000), minus some mileage calculation starting at the mileage when the problem was first addressed.

If this works out amicably, maybe everyone with this similar problem should request a Lexus Buy Back. I asked Tucson Lexus Service Manager if they would replace my exhaust system to possibly remedy my issue, but the answer was no.

I’ve had 4 Lexus vehicles during 21 years (two RX’s), I wish they could fix this one. My wife loves her car but can’t take the noise and vibration any longer. I can’t take her being unhappy.

I feel Lexus is being disrespectful to their loyal customers by not taking care of us.

I’ll keep you posted…

Note: It has been observed that the ball flange connection between the engine’s exhaust header pipe and the catalytic converter vibrate at times like a “Hummingbird”. It has been observed that there is excessive up and down articulation at the spring loaded ball flange connection. It has been discussed that possibly the occurrence of the vibration and bad harmonics may be caused by the changing of valve timing of the dual Atkinson/Otto cycle engine. Then again, it could be just bad exhaust components.

Last edited by Walt1953; 09-24-16 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Photos did not attach
Old 09-24-16, 10:57 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Interesting! I just found this on Edmunds:

"08/24/16 16:04 PM (PDT)
Vehicle 2016 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)
Review: Car has an annoying drone noise when starting up and driving. Was told it was the exhaust and Lexus was designing a new system which when available would be installed. Have not been notified yet after 4 months. Intend to check with dealer to see what is happening. My guess is that if they are serious, the new system will be on the 2017 models and will then be available to be replaced on the 2016 cars for the people who complain.

Since last posting, dealer replaced an exhaust assembly that Lexus Rep. suggested and car is fine now. It now sounds like it should for a Lexus. I am once again driving the Lexus I expected I would."
Old 09-24-16, 11:18 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Owning many of both, I disagree completely. Warranty on a BMW is a necessity, Lexus not so much.
Had to dump 2015 X5 for Lexus RX450h. Winter coming, first time tried seat heaters and steering wheel heater. Out of 5 heaters only one was working (drivers seat) Dealer was talking about replacing whole rear seat and passenger seat, steering wheel. Both Lexus and BMW dealer are side-by-side operated by same principal. I'd rather choose reliability than driving fun factor. Wife likes Lexus better. Seems like most common annoying electronics problems are common amongst European vehicles. I drove company car until I retired. Long time Acura customer(MDX). They botched 2016 MDX pretty bad which propelled me to BMW first time. BMW gives me bad taste in my mouth.
Old 09-24-16, 11:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Did he just say that the RX is unrefined?! I'd assume it's a defective car
OP, ought to test drive another one from dealer lot. Wonder he test drove before his RX was delivered.
Old 09-25-16, 09:10 AM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walt,
Thanks so much for your diligence and research. If the Edmond's and exhaust info is correct then maybe there is a ray of hope that this issue may have a resolution. If so, if Lexus would just publicly acknowledge the issue and let owners know that a fix is coming then many of us would hang on for it. If they don't do so in the near future, then I'm going to see if I can initiate the buy back program as you have done.
Great information. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-16, 12:05 PM
sailboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Noise at Idle

Perhaps I'm just lucky, or Lexus fixed it.

I just tested my car at idle under varying conditions (approx. 750-1000 rpm), and it hummed as I would expect. There was no excessive noise/vibration detected at all.

Note that this is a new vehicle. Just got it about 2 weeks ago. It was made in Canada in August 2016 per the door sticker.
Old 09-25-16, 12:16 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Lexus Buy Back Program may be the answer for mine as well as your 2016 RX 350 with Vibration and Noise Issues… my story:

Since new (Feb. 13, 2016), my 2016 RX 350 FWD has had a droning noise present just off idle under slight load (1,100 - 1,500 RPM). The harmonics produced by this noise creates an unacceptable vibration that reverberates into the vehicle. I have taken my vehicle to four different Lexus Dealerships. Tucson AZ, Chandler AZ, Mesa AZ and Lexus of Wichita Kansas. They all acknowledge my car has a problem and all have stated that Lexus is aware of the problem but Lexus does not have a repair for it.

Along my 7 month journey, I have been in contact with Lexus Customer Care and trying/doing everything they say. That is why I have taken my vehicle to four different Dealerships for verification of the known problem with no remedy. After much frustration and disappointment, I demanded to initiate the “The Lexus Buy Back Program” that I have heard mentioned (whispered). A couple of weeks ago, I received the attached papers from Lexus and I have provided them with the information they requested. I hear the process takes about 6 weeks. I’ve also heard that they may reimburse me for my total expense of the vehicle including tax, license, fees ($59,000), minus some mileage calculation starting at the mileage when the problem was first addressed.

If this works out amicably, maybe everyone with this similar problem should request a Lexus Buy Back. I asked Tucson Lexus Service Manager if they would replace my exhaust system to possibly remedy my issue, but the answer was no.

I’ve had 4 Lexus vehicles during 21 years (two RX’s), I wish they could fix this one. My wife loves her car but can’t take the noise and vibration any longer. I can’t take her being unhappy.

I feel Lexus is being disrespectful to their loyal customers by not taking care of us.

I’ll keep you posted…

Note: It has been observed that the ball flange connection between the engine’s exhaust header pipe and the catalytic converter vibrate at times like a “Hummingbird”. It has been observed that there is excessive up and down articulation at the spring loaded ball flange connection. It has been discussed that possibly the occurrence of the vibration and bad harmonics may be caused by the changing of valve timing of the dual Atkinson/Otto cycle engine. Then again, it could be just bad exhaust components.

Last edited by kitlz; 09-25-16 at 12:46 PM. Reason: letter already posted
Old 09-29-16, 02:59 PM
lefty75
Rookie

Can anyone confirm of this new exhaust system fix? For sure the 2017 model will not have this issue.
Old 09-29-16, 03:05 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Buy Back Disappointment

Today on my porch from FEDEX, I received this letter.
Yes, I can use my car.
Yes, it is a safe car.
The value of my car HAS very much been Substantially Impaired.
My next step will be to pursue the National Center for Dispute Settlement Program.
It shouldn't be this hard... Walt

[img]file:///page1image256[/img]

Last edited by Walt1953; 09-29-16 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Photo did not attach
Old 09-29-16, 03:55 PM
lefty75
Rookie

Walt, I feel your pain as I too have a vibrating exhaust system. I complained to my local Lexus dealer during my 5000 mile service about the vibration and droning but the the service adviser told me that its normal. I've owned Lexus' for over 20 years and have been working on vehicles for over 20 years and let me tell you there's no way that this vibration is acceptable in a Lexus. Somehow we need them to install this new exhaust system that is going in on the 2017 models on our cars.
Old 09-29-16, 04:21 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Once it was diagnosed in Kansas, no other Dealership would document the issue. If we could compare the Part Numbers of the 2017 exhaust components with the 2016, we would know if Lexus is using different parts.
Old 09-29-16, 04:25 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

T

Old 09-29-16, 07:12 PM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Walt, can you explain the pictures you posted? There was no text with them on my browser. It looks like you have bolted on the wrench with rubber on the handle to the exhaust flange. I don't understand what the purpose is. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
RX4Lily (03-12-24)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration