RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Old 01-05-16, 08:05 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
So highlighting the 3RX in the 4RX section from a 2013 article proves your point does it? The new RX is much quieter than the 3RX

Even then I can't see the X5 on there and the X6 is a hybrid model which costs much much more
Agreed. I don't understand how it's comparable to highlight a top end BMW sedan to a Lexus SUV? I'm not saying the BMWs aren't quieter, but it would be nice to see some BMW suv results and Lexus sedans as well for proper comparison.

Edit: Oh, now I see there is an X3 at the bottom of the list. Would be nice to see a Lexus 4RX non hybrid to compare.

Last edited by Lubber; 01-05-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 08:46 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove one vehicle and took delivery of another vehicle. I do not recall the drone sound upon accelaration on the l test drive.
Old 01-05-16, 09:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So highlighting the 3RX in the 4RX section from a 2013 article proves your point does it? The new RX is much quieter than the 3RX

Even then I can't see the X5 on there and the X6 is a hybrid model which costs much much more
Originally Posted by Lubber
Agreed. I don't understand how it's comparable to highlight a top end BMW sedan to a Lexus SUV? I'm not saying the BMWs aren't quieter, but it would be nice to see some BMW suv results and Lexus sedans as well for proper comparison.

Edit: Oh, now I see there is an X3 at the bottom of the list. Would be nice to see a Lexus 4RX non hybrid to compare.
Thanks to Lubber to prove my point. See The initial response by Ravaans to my "bank vault statement", who drives a 3rd gen RX btw for reference, was that the OP can`t be be serious since " I won't accept that they have less noise than equivalent Lexus models simply because they dont. You can carry out a dB test and it'll prove that to you"

So in light of what he said, i decided to pull up a simple noise test by Autobild, that indicated what the driving db (a test which rayaans has said would prove his statements). In that test the hybrid model RX 3rd gen was outclassed by both a more expensive 7 series and F25 X3 (cheaper then the RX and competes with the NX). If you still want claim something with support facts, I`m open to hear it.

Now granted this is not a 4h gen and the OP has even stated that the noise was not audible in his test drive (which leads me to believe this is probably a defect somewhere with the actual car).
Old 01-05-16, 05:14 PM
gw330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updated on this issue OP?

Joined this forum as this is my first Lexus vehicle (RX350 2016).

Im having the same (very noticeable vibration) while moderately accelerating from a stop. I find it really annoying knowing how smooth and refined previous (older) Lexus RX350 models are. Heck! my 2006 130k mile Highlander is smoother that this. Don't know if its normal since I never test drove prior to purchase (wife did) and she doesn't seem to bother.

Let me know.
The following users liked this post:
chaochun (11-27-19)
Old 01-06-16, 01:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Thanks to Lubber to prove my point. See The initial response by Ravaans to my "bank vault statement", who drives a 3rd gen RX btw for reference, was that the OP can`t be be serious since " I won't accept that they have less noise than equivalent Lexus models simply because they dont. You can carry out a dB test and it'll prove that to you"

So in light of what he said, i decided to pull up a simple noise test by Autobild, that indicated what the driving db (a test which rayaans has said would prove his statements). In that test the hybrid model RX 3rd gen was outclassed by both a more expensive 7 series and F25 X3 (cheaper then the RX and competes with the NX). If you still want claim something with support facts, I`m open to hear it.

Now granted this is not a 4h gen and the OP has even stated that the noise was not audible in his test drive (which leads me to believe this is probably a defect somewhere with the actual car).
If you read my comment I did say "... of the equivalent Lexus models".

I've driven all sorts of cars and the Lexus models always seem to be very quiet inside. The BMWs have always had too much road noise from tyres especially since they use huge widths with sometimes rough tyres like continentals
Old 01-06-16, 07:25 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think the new 8 speed transmission is quite dialed in yet, maybe this can be made better with a software update. I have noticed problems in 3 areas.

1. Wiith moderate acceleration the car will hesitate slightly as the car upshifts too early and then the acceleration will kick in a little abruptly.

2. When driving at speed below about 60 MPH the car is in too high a gear and tends to drone a little.

3. When using radar cruise if I slow more than 2-3 MPH the car will down shift till it hits about 4k RMP holding the original speed and then very slowly slow the 2-3 MPH and then upshift.
chaochun (11-27-19)
Old 01-06-16, 07:34 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bdspilot
I don't think the new 8 speed transmission is quite dialed in yet, maybe this can be made better with a software update. I have noticed problems in 3 areas.

1. Wiith moderate acceleration the car will hesitate slightly as the car upshifts too early and then the acceleration will kick in a little abruptly.

2. When driving at speed below about 60 MPH the car is in too high a gear and tends to drone a little.

3. When using radar cruise if I slow more than 2-3 MPH the car will down shift till it hits about 4k RMP holding the original speed and then very slowly slow the 2-3 MPH and then upshift.
Excellent! Could not agree more!
chaochun (11-27-19)
Old 01-06-16, 08:28 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought the f sport RX 350 I test drove a base model 350 and noticed this droning vibration that people have been talking about. However, I did not notice it at all on the f sport 350 so Could it be related to front wheel drive versus all-wheel-drive cars, and or possibly software programming as another poster mentioned? I believe both share the same eight speed transmission.
Old 01-06-16, 08:35 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
Before I bought the f sport RX 350 I test drove a base model 350 and noticed this droning vibration that people have been talking about. However, I did not notice it at all on the f sport 350 so Could it be related to front wheel drive versus all-wheel-drive cars, and or possibly software programming as another poster mentioned? I believe both share the same eight speed transmission.
Same engine and same tranny. AWD should not be a factor. It could be the tranny programming is different than a non-F-Sport model. If I put my 4RX in "Sport Mode" there is no low RPM noise (droning).

The sound is just engine noise and is not a concern to me. I do wish the transmission would stretch out the gear changes just a little when in normal mode but can live with it just fine.
Old 01-06-16, 09:07 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, this is not an issue in the RX450H.

Test driving the RX350, I did not notice this either, but I also wasn't watching for it.
Old 01-06-16, 09:43 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
possibly the software or outfitted (lack of) on the base model. Usually all RX are usually FWD unless slip is deteced
Old 01-06-16, 09:46 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bdspilot

interesting observations. Seems overall a similar problem to those with the 3rd gen F sports
Old 01-06-16, 09:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

If you read my comment I did say "... of the equivalent Lexus models".

I've driven all sorts of cars and the Lexus models always seem to be very quiet inside. The BMWs have always had too much road noise from tyres especially since they use huge widths with sometimes rough tyres like continentals
"equivalent" but lets due some indirect stat analysis. If the hybrid is louder then a diesel....in both a more expensive and lower class models whats effect does having larger stiffer tires.
Old 01-06-16, 09:57 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus' 8-speed tranny is still rough around the edges. For some reason they chose to develop their own instead of sourcing the absolutely excellent ZF. As a result:
- 2016 RX 350 have hesitation issues
- 2015 RX 350 F-Sport (8-speed) have the same hesitation issues
- 2015 RX 350 F-Sport (8-speed) is as slow and thirsty as 2015 RX 350 (6-speed)
- 2014 GS 350 (8-speed) is as slow and thirsty as the 2013 GS (6-speed)

Lexus has great ideas but sometimes the implementation is poor. 8-speed tranny and 2.0L Turbo, I'm looking at you!
Old 01-06-16, 10:04 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by metrathon
Lexus' 8-speed tranny is still rough around the edges. For some reason they chose to develop their own instead of sourcing the absolutely excellent ZF. As a result:
- 2016 RX 350 have hesitation issues
- 2015 RX 350 F-Sport (8-speed) have the same hesitation issues
- 2015 RX 350 F-Sport (8-speed) is as slow and thirsty as 2015 RX 350 (6-speed)
- 2014 GS 350 (8-speed) is as slow and thirsty as the 2013 GS (6-speed)

Lexus has great ideas but sometimes the implementation is poor. 8-speed tranny and 2.0L Turbo, I'm looking at you!
Without knowing I`d speculate it probs has to do with the 8 speed costs and as usual reliability.

Lexus likes to tune their vehicles for longevity over performance. So if they can add additional life to a component at the expense of shift experience so be it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration