RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 09:33 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gil716
Sad to see so many affected by this. But it sounds like a few different issues afflicting everyone. I picked up my new rx awd base on Thursday and have a problem as well. Getting a vibration throughout car when I'm between 55-85mph. Going to dealership tomorrow and will report back. Really.hoping its just a wheel balancing issue. Service desk admitted that this isn't an uncommon issue (excessive vibration)
Any update on this? I bought a 450h, hoping I wouldn't have this problem.

Last edited by s2000zr; 11-04-16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 09:48 PM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.......after reading all of Walt's research and effort on this issue regarding the exhaust coupling in front of the cat converter, I decided to try an experiment. Thinking that this exhaust joint was vibrating and causing the noise and droning we are hearing, I decided to take out the bolt/spring set up that exists on that coupling and bolt it solid together to see what would happen. I first removed only one of the spring bolts and put in a solid bolt and drew it up tight. I left the other bolt/spring in place. I went for a drive and....lo and behold the vibration and noise was greatly reduced! It wasn't totally gone but it was really a lot better. With this progress I immediately went to work taking out the other bolt/spring and put in a solid bolt that I drew up tight. I figured with two solid bolts that all of the vibration would now get removed. Wrong!! With two solid bolts the vibration was MUCH worse and was really a deep, grinding, shaking reverberation. Disappointed, I put the two bolt/springs back in and the car reverted back to the original buzz and vibration. After this experiment I'm thinking that this exhaust joint is not the cause of the problem but an attempted solution. I think the Lexus engineers designed this coupling to address the vibration and noise that is created somewhere else in the engine or transmission. If this is correct, then the engineers have attempted to address the issue and while reducing the vibration and noise significantly from what it is without the bolt/spring arrangement, they have not been able to eliminate it. Maybe they said, "good enough" and moved on, or they have not been able to find a way to eliminate it totally. If I'm correct, then it must be a big deal to address whatever is creating it in the first place. That could explain why Lexus refuses to acknowledge or address it: they don't know what to do, or it is too expensive or major of a fix that they will continue to ignore it and hope that most owners won't notice it or won't care. They may address it in future and different engine/transmission models. Maybe there will be a way to modify the exhaust or this connection to reduce the vibration further that someone will discover. In the meantime, I'm going to go back and try the single solid bolt modification to see if it helps on a longer term test. If anyone else has other ideas or successful attempts to solve this issue, please share with us.
Old 10-11-16, 04:49 AM
gil716
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Any update on this? I bought a 450h, hoping I wouldn't have this problem. But I am sad to say my 450h vibrate too. Only at low rpm, around 1100-1200 rpm. And that's where this car rpm like to stay at.
It turned out to be excessive road force balance on ALL four of my tires! They replaced all the tires and retested and it now rides nice and smooth. Hope this might help others.
Old 10-13-16, 10:58 AM
lefty75
Rookie

Originally Posted by gil716
It turned out to be excessive road force balance on ALL four of my tires! They replaced all the tires and retested and it now rides nice and smooth. Hope this might help others.
I don't think this thread is about road noise, it's about vibration and harmonics that is dependent on throttle input. I think that Lexus knows about the exhaust flange/coupling issue, they just don't know how to fix it at this point.
Old 10-13-16, 03:41 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

KJRodder - You are so on the money with what the problem is, and a half-***, not always working, fix. Use caution hard bolting that spring joint union together. There was a lot of up and down articulation at that joint on mine. (Lay on a towel on the driveway and have someone with their foot on the brake power torque the acceleratior forward... and then reverse, and you will observe much (excessive?) up and down articulation). I'd hate for something to break/micro crack???

Caution to other's reading this! That Catalytic Converter gets really hot and stays hot for a long time!

GOOD NEWS FOR ME! I have improved my noise/vibration issue some more too! I have added a piece of 1/2'" inside diameter heater hose, slid on, my 1/2" OD piece of fuel line, slid on, my cut off combination wrench ground down to fit the threads sticking out the back of the catalytic convertor's spring loaded ball joint bolt. Secure the thin wrench with a (I think) a 10M thread nut. Now slide the heater hose thru an open frame connection slotted hole, and... It's Better! I can still hear a smaller vibration's harmonics, but the droning is almost gone!

Note: We need to be careful not to alter our vehicle for warranty purposes.

KJRodder, I'm thinking about going to a experienced muffler shop and see if they can't make a bolt on frame, clamp on exhaust support/mount that may help absorb the harmonics, produced by the engine frequencies, that cause the vibration, in this exhaust joint. (I bet they can improve on my bolt-on wrench/hose harmonic vibration prototype.)

Two Service Manager's have told me they look at clublexus. Hopefully someone will help us soon.

The 2016 & the 2017 RX350 FWD both use the identical part numbers on their exhaust systems. It is my belief that the 2017 Toyota Highlander will use the same 295 hp motor and the 8 speed tranny that the 2017 Lexus does. If this is true, when I can get a copy of the 2017 exhaust schematic for the Highlander and it is different then our Lexus, just maybe, our problem got resolved or improved???

I'll keep you posted on my end.

Thanks to all!

Old 10-14-16, 03:20 PM
hmilsen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following this thread since my wife's new RX350 has this issue. It has been in for service on this twice and with the last 'fix' it is now different and maybe worse. The service order states they are waiting for a fix from Lexus.

Because of Walt1953 last post, I went internet searching for the idea of adding weights to change the exhaust harmonics. I came across a thread on this forum about Lexus using them on the 1st gen RX (1999 - 2003). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...4-exhaust.html

Maybe we need to try this old Lexus part on our RX.
Old 10-14-16, 05:37 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

hmilsen, Thank you for that 1st gen RX link!

I called to try and get my exhaust system looked at by Mesa Mufflers, 416 E Baseline Rd., Mesa AZ, "Rick" answered but they were really busy right now.
Old 10-14-16, 07:49 PM
s2000zr
Driver

I really appreciate you guys trying to get a solution to this annoying problem. I can't say the same for Lexus. They probably just sitting back enjoying sales!
Old 10-14-16, 11:52 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

I've located the Lexus/Toyota Damper that hmilsen linked to (Thanks again!). It now is a slightly different Damper. Toyota has used it on 69 model variants, and I have found it on many different Lexus models.

In all model schematics I've seen, it is labeled: 17581A or B "Damper, Exhaust Pipe".

Depending on the vehicle, the part numbers change (maybe/probably they weigh differently???).

Part Number: 1758131010 Reg. $45.97 Sale Price $34.55 Toyota of Naples (on-line).
Part Number: 1758150140 Reg. $41.75 Lexus of South Atlantic Park (on-line)
Part Number: 1758170080 Reg. $59.40
Part Number: 1758150090 Reg. $33.88

It looks like in the pictures, that the Damper attaches with just one bolt. I think I'll go to my local Toyota Dealer tomorrow and buy one. I think I will also go to a Parts House, buy a Muffler Clamp, bolt it on, and then secure this Damper to the clamp with one additional nut on to the flat part of the clamp. Before I buy the clamp, I will have to measure first as I know the pipe is large by the catalytic converter (2 1/2" - 3"???).

Interesting... I just saw where a 2013 (couldn't find the 2015 info) RX 350 use BOTH a 1758170080 and a 1758150090 Damper. This time it's not mounted by the catalytic converter, but down before and after the muffler. Crap! Another trial and error - move the weight (damper) around until it works. Hmmmm. I still think I need an additional exhaust hanger in the catalytic converter area.

Make it a great week-end... Walt
Old 10-16-16, 02:39 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Hey Walt, look at the exhaust on the F-sports. I don't recall any f-sport member complaining about the vibration.
Old 10-16-16, 03:01 PM
lefty75
Rookie

I think a really experienced muffler shop might be able to help us with this. It sucks that we have to find a solution to this issue even though our cars are under warranty.
Old 10-19-16, 05:48 PM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the updates, fellas. Walt, it is interesting that your wrench/hose/hose is working well. My single bolt effort is working pretty good too. The vibration is much less and is more of a hum now and not as frequent. At cruising speeds when the tach is about 1200-1400 rpm I still get a drone, almost more of a rumbling sound. At faster rpm's it is not present. If I'm in sport mode (higher rpm's) the droning is less, but we shouldn't have to drive in sport mode to eliminate this. I also wonder about the movement and if the solid bolt will cause another issue. For now though, I'm going to keep it in to see what happens. Plus, it is so nice not to have the buzzing and vibration all the time. It is interesting that Lexus has used those dampers that one of posters found. Walt, if you get the damper and go to the muffler shop I will be curious to hear how that all comes out. Seems like Lexus has been addressing this issue for a long time in their vehicles. Too bad they dropped the ball on the RX. It just seems incomprehensible that they haven't fixed this. Big black mark for them. I also wonder if other manufacturers have these same issues in their vehicles that they have to offset. If so, it would seem Lexus needs to take a lesson from them.
Thanks everyone.
Old 10-19-16, 05:55 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not the RX, but I test drove an ES a few months ago that had tremendous vibration. I brought it up to the sales guy had he had absolutely no clue. Then I test drove another ES at a separate dealership and didn't experience any problems so I chalked it to an isolated issue. Interesting that it's noted on the RX as well. I was thinking of leasing an RX in a year or two.
Old 10-19-16, 08:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

All that having a hose in that hole is going to do is abrade the material, first the paint wears off then the rust begins. If you have anything going through a hole in the body either have a hole grommet or tie it down real good with a very strong wire tie. Any sort of movement causes wear.
Old 10-19-16, 10:14 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

EXHAUST DRONE / NOISE / VIBRATION SOLUTION!!!

Thank all of you who have contributed to this solution! I have resolved the Exhaust Drone Noise Vibration Issue for my 2016 RX 350 FWD. Here's how you can too! Go to your Lexus Dealership and order Part No. 17581-31010 Damper, Exhaust - List $45.97. (I Ordered two, two days later, they were at the Dealership). (You can also order it on eBay). On your drive home, stop by your local car parts store and buy a 2 1/2 " Muffler Clamp.

What it is: This Damper is Heavy! (Steel and vibration absorbing hard rubber type material). It has two holes for normal mounting with some insulated washers. I only used one of the holes. With a cooled off exhaust and a 9/16 deep socket, tighten up the nuts of the Muffler Clamp, with the Damper underneath one of the nuts.

Look at my pictures and mount accordingly for your vehicle, being aware to leave clearance for the up and down articulation movement.

I have to tell you, after I mounted that 1st Damper and drove around the neighborhood - WOW!! What a difference!!! I probably didn't need a 2nd Damper, but after installation and my 2nd test drive around the neighborhood, I don €™t know if I am still intoxicated by the euphoric Energy of the 1st test drive, but I think my Lexus 2016 RX 350 NOW, with the two Dampers mounted, is about the smoothest of any 2016 or 2017 RX that I've been in!

I have the email of a couple of Lexus Service Managers and I will share the Solution with them in hope that they will send it up the ladder.

Note: I double nutted the muffler clamps for additional security (plus I had the nuts).

My wife came home and went for a drive. She came back elated about our car again! Me too!! It's a beautiful, fabulous car. I look forward to driving it tomorrow morning to experience more of it’s quiet smoothness.

I look forward to your Smiling, Radiant, Energy as you drive your wonderful car... Walt

The following users liked this post:
feddery (06-08-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration