RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Old 12-27-15, 06:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

I know sound quality is very subjective. Having had a woofer and tweeter polk audio with a JL sub on my previous vehicle, I think sound quality is very important.

Has anyone had any experience with the ML audio system on the RX? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to change speakers, subwoofer with an ML audio system? And how much of a headache would it be?

Based on this brouchure, http://dev.text100.com/harman-pressk...Fact-Sheet.pdf

it seems that the only subwoofer on the new RX is a 7 inch, 200 MM... Not saying I want that boom boom pow as I have my subwoofer level on -8 with my 12 inch JL Sub, but it would be nice to know it can reach those low levels.

Going to test the sound next week so I'll update the post and let you guys know what I think!
Old 12-27-15, 06:37 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can swap it, but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good. If you know anything about audio equipment, you know it's a science and not just a matter of slapping the fanciest speakers in that you can find.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (05-10-18)
Old 12-27-15, 06:53 PM
captjeff1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ml

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I know sound quality is very subjective. Having had a woofer and tweeter polk audio with a JL sub on my previous vehicle, I think sound quality is very important.

Has anyone had any experience with the ML audio system on the RX? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to change speakers, subwoofer with an ML audio system? And how much of a headache would it be?

Based on this brouchure, http://dev.text100.com/harman-pressk...Fact-Sheet.pdf

it seems that the only subwoofer on the new RX is a 7 inch, 200 MM... Not saying I want that boom boom pow as I have my subwoofer level on -8 with my 12 inch JL Sub, but it would be nice to know it can reach those low levels.

Going to test the sound next week so I'll update the post and let you guys know what I think!
Just got the 2016 RX350 with ML
Not worth the Money...
The following 4 users liked this post by captjeff1:
1stock06 (04-24-20), Jurzee (01-03-21), Lumburrito (06-23-20), maraynman (12-18-22)
Old 12-27-15, 07:16 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

For sure. Wanted to add dynamat eventually too! Hmm.. I will give it a test when I see it next week. But I've had ML systems in the past and wasn't to happy with it. They made such a big deal that it was this new thing haha.

Might just get the regular 12 speakers instead...

That's the only difference right with the ML system? Just the ML speakers?
Old 12-27-15, 07:51 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the regular system on my last GS. Compare to the ML on RX, i would say that it sounds better, but not by much. The biggest difference i heard the ML for the 1st time was on surround mode. The majority of the sound are coming from the center speaker. But for the regular system, felt like i am sitting in the middle of it. That's why now i have to move the level toward the back seats in order to feel like i am in the middle of the surround sound.
Also ML has 'Clari-Fi' audio tech, ML badge on each speaker.
For me, it's worth the money since I have the loaded RX. Don't want to cheap out on this one lol
Old 12-28-15, 03:49 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the ML system in my 2016 RX. While I have heard better it sure sounds better than other non ML systems I have heard in Lexus vehicles. I consider it a good investment.
Old 12-28-15, 05:36 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

In a 50k$ car, I'm not sure why the ML system isn't standard. To my rapidly failing hearing, the ML system is an improvement, not vast, but a much needed improvement. If you can afford it, don't go standard.
Old 12-28-15, 07:04 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ML System sounds better than the Bose system that was in my old car (Infiniti Q50). It's not a huge improvement, but suits me just fine.
Old 12-28-15, 07:04 AM
captjeff1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ML on my new 2016 RX
It's nothing to write home about!
For the price, it's very disappointing!
The following users liked this post:
kctiger75 (02-19-20)
Old 12-28-15, 12:15 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The ML in my 2016 RX is worse than my 2011 GS350 with standard pioneer speakers. Huge disappointment!
Old 12-28-15, 12:32 PM
CSamurai
Driver School Candidate

The ML audio on the 16 RX doesn't sound as good as on my 14 IS to my ears. But, I don't regret getting it at all!

I don't think I could get a fully loaded car without ML unless I special order...
Old 12-28-15, 01:53 PM
3richard
Driver School Candidate

Expensive sound systems in a car is hard to justify. I think Mercedes has a Burmeister System as an option. We are talking about an audio company that sells systems upto $100K+ for a home system. In a car, what with road noise etc it is very subjective. You pay six figures (home system) for exceptional sound that can play high resolution music. Even a person with "golden ears" cannot hear the difference between MP3 files and a CD in a car on the road. Save your money and get some nice speakers for the house.
Old 12-28-15, 03:52 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

consider the trunk space too, there's a reason why the ML on a GS/LS sounds better than the ML on an RX/GX.
then there's the source. it has to be a CD to fully evaluate the system.
listening to Sirius/XM or your cheaply downloaded mp3 won't do the trick.
Old 12-28-15, 05:56 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Was using Lexus' premium (not ML though) sound system on my 3RX and was quite unhappy about it. Switching to ML on my 4RX definitely got me much better sound. Very transparent and clear, and I love the surrounding effect (guess that's because that center speaker ML system has).

One thing I'm not sure ML delivers is dynamic bass. It's kinda flat and hard to adjust to my liking, so I'm keeping it at default settings (not that I'm a bass junkie at all - but really it's kinda flat…)

I'm sure there are better systems if you'd like to tinker and have specific needs, but overall, I'm pretty satisfied with that I got. Not sure if it's worth the money as I haven't compared to anything but standard sound systems on 4RX. Would've definitely loved to have a proper multichannel equalizer with presents and whatnot (which I had on my Toyotas 10+ years ago), instead of that joke of a sound adjustment tools Lexuses have…*but… duh… Guess ML/Lexus is like Apple - they think they have it perfect so why would anyone want to adjust anything. Right?

Oh and I'm listening to iTunes' 256Kbps AACs via USB…
Old 12-29-15, 01:45 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

I have the 450H with all the premium sound upgrades, and frankly, it's one of the more disappointing aspects of the car. There aren't many things I'm not in love with in the 450H, but sound system is definitely one of them -- it's not comparable, IMO, to the sound systems on some of the other premium luxury SUVs, including my previous, an Infiniti FX50s. The sound is a little tinny, and there just isn't the rich vibrance that you come to expect out of a top end sound system that you can't easily upgrade.

Fortunately, I don't listen to a lot of music; mostly it's just news on AM radio, and that sounds just fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System