RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone pick up an RX in Caviar??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 01:01 PM
Cjl22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone pick up an RX in Caviar??????

How does it compare to Obsidian???? thx
Old 12-14-15, 01:39 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw both at the dealership and went with the Obsidian. The caviar has the shimmery sparkle that looks nice under the sunlight, but any other cloudy day makes it look hazy or with an opaque film on the surface. The obsidian will be much harder to care for and maintain and caviar will probably hide any swirls, but I intend on being really careful and washing/detailing the car myself.
Old 12-14-15, 04:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^+1

Only when you compare them side-by-side do you see the difference in "black depth". Obsidian is as black as you can go while Caviar is slightly metallic and washed out a little. But on its own it will look black.

Below, the ES is in Caviar while my NX is Obsidian. Of course, the pics have been taken with different cameras and lighting conditions but it's to depict the relative difference.

Old 12-15-15, 01:32 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2016 Luxury is Caviar. I love it. I have had obsidian and it is kinda plain compared to the Caviar. The Caviar seems three dimensional compared to a non-flaked color.

I am impressed with the quality of the paint and finish on the RX.

Pictures from my previous post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x-is-here.html
Old 12-15-15, 05:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by RXOwner
My 2016 Luxury is Caviar. I love it. I have had obsidian and it is kinda plain compared to the Caviar. The Caviar seems three dimensional compared to a non-flaked color.

I am impressed with the quality of the paint and finish on the RX.

Pictures from my previous post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x-is-here.html

Yeah, pictures don't represent Caviar well, much like Atomic Silver or some other colors where depth and metallic flakes are only truly appreciated in person.

Whereas Obsidian wreaks sportiness thanks to its flat pure black and very mirror-like luster, Caviar is like a polished fine-grained black granite with tiny mica specks that wreaks luxury.
Old 12-15-15, 06:52 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Whereas Obsidian wreaks sportiness thanks to its flat pure black and very mirror-like luster, Caviar is like a polished fine-grained black granite with tiny mica specks that wreaks luxury.
Well......I am not going to disagree with that. In the Sunday it does sparkle nicely. I had a choice between this and the obsidian and I am glad I got the Caviar. I have waxed it three times and it has around 1K on the ODO.

Today is a bad day because it is raining!

Thanks for your description and thoughts, really loving my new RX.
Old 12-15-15, 04:22 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Well......I am not going to disagree with that. In the Sunday it does sparkle nicely. I had a choice between this and the obsidian and I am glad I got the Caviar. I have waxed it three times and it has around 1K on the ODO.

Today is a bad day because it is raining!

Thanks for your description and thoughts, really loving my new RX.
I won't disagree either, as my RX is an F sport and I was going for the pitch black look to go along with the Rioja red interior. The caviar definitely exudes luxury and would be appropriate! Oops one correction, it's my wife's RX
Old 12-17-15, 10:32 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a choice between Caviar and Obsidian and went with Caviar. Have no regrets!
Old 12-21-15, 05:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Here's a pic I took today of Caviar. The B pillar paint is like Obsidian. You can see the difference.

Old 12-22-15, 03:17 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

A nice comparison.
Old 12-22-15, 03:46 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am disappointed to see how those metal trim pieces don't line up properly. I would expect more from a Lexus. :|
Old 12-30-15, 03:07 PM
Haya808
Driver School Candidate

I just got a '16 RX350 F-Sport in Caviar! I love the color compared to the Obsidian, which is more of a flat black color with high gloss. The Caviar really stands out because of the pearl in the paint. I can seem like its a different color depending on the lighting and angle. From black to kinda a dark gunmetal grey. In the short time I've had the RX, I have gotten many compliments of how nice the Caviar paint is. It looks awesome with the grey F-Sport rims!!

Just go down to the dealership and check them out. Once I saw it I knew that was my favorite color out of all the available ones!
Old 12-30-15, 03:22 PM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Haya808
I just got a '16 RX350 F-Sport in Caviar! I love the color compared to the Obsidian, which is more of a flat black color with high gloss. The Caviar really stands out because of the pearl in the paint. I can seem like its a different color depending on the lighting and angle. From black to kinda a dark gunmetal grey. In the short time I've had the RX, I have gotten many compliments of how nice the Caviar paint is. It looks awesome with the grey F-Sport rims!!

Just go down to the dealership and check them out. Once I saw it I knew that was my favorite color out of all the available ones!

Same experience here. Congrats!
Old 12-30-15, 09:47 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceCL
I am disappointed to see how those metal trim pieces don't line up properly. I would expect more from a Lexus. :|
I'd be inclined to think it's the camera angle.....
Old 12-31-15, 10:15 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

I looked on mine and they certainly don't look like that. They are perfectly aligned all around.

Quick Reply: Anyone pick up an RX in Caviar??????