RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question about Lexus's adaptive cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 09:38 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about Lexus's adaptive cruise control

I test drove the new RX350 today.
One of the must-have functions for me is the full-speed adaptive cruise control.

I am currently a Subaru driver with eyesight system.
In my Subaru, when I turn on the ACC, there will be a screen showing whether there is a car locked by the ACC system and each time the system locks a new car ahead of you, it will beep to tell you that the car in front of you is locked.

I think the Subaru's way make me feel very safe because you know that whether the ACC system is worked correctly or has a problem

However, when I test drove the RX350 today. I found out that
1) no beep for locking a car ahead.
2) the ACC screen only lasts for a short time and then changes back to the normal information screen
automatically.

So, I can not tell whether the ACC is working correctly or not while leaving my foot away from brake and throttle, which I think is quite dangerous, because you do not know when to trust the system.

But, I am not sure whether there is somewhere that I can change the setting.

Any current owner verify this for me?

Thanks
Old 12-12-15, 10:58 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nope. It's the way it is.
Old 12-12-15, 12:07 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Nope. It's the way it is.
I see.

But, I find out a solution for this. -- HUD.

haha
Old 12-12-15, 12:12 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When i activate the cruise control, HUD shows 'rader ready'. If i lost a car in front or a motorcycle cut in front. HUD will display a msg saying that the system just turned off, also beeping to notify me. So i never feel unsafe using the system
Old 12-12-15, 07:08 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by hon3kong
When i activate the cruise control, HUD shows 'rader ready'. If i lost a car in front or a motorcycle cut in front. HUD will display a msg saying that the system just turned off, also beeping to notify me. So i never feel unsafe using the system
Wait. when a motorcycle cut in, ACC turned off?
On my subaru, the eyesight will lock the motorcycle with a beep.
Old 12-12-15, 08:40 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hon3kong
Had the same problem in my RX with a lane splitting motorcycle. Lane Splitting is legal in CA..
Old 12-14-15, 02:02 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine worked yesterday when a motorcycle cut in front of me while following another vehicle. The system worked just fine. It happened twice and worked the way it should. The HUD does what is is designed to do.
Old 12-14-15, 06:38 AM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
I test drove the new RX350 today.
One of the must-have functions for me is the full-speed adaptive cruise control.

I am currently a Subaru driver with eyesight system.
In my Subaru, when I turn on the ACC, there will be a screen showing whether there is a car locked by the ACC system and each time the system locks a new car ahead of you, it will beep to tell you that the car in front of you is locked.

I think the Subaru's way make me feel very safe because you know that whether the ACC system is worked correctly or has a problem

However, when I test drove the RX350 today. I found out that
1) no beep for locking a car ahead.
2) the ACC screen only lasts for a short time and then changes back to the normal information screen
automatically.

So, I can not tell whether the ACC is working correctly or not while leaving my foot away from brake and throttle, which I think is quite dangerous, because you do not know when to trust the system.

But, I am not sure whether there is somewhere that I can change the setting.

Any current owner verify this for me?

Thanks
I own a 2015 NX with all speed DRCC. If you want the TFT display to show the status of the DRCC constantly I believe you have to scroll to the right from your steering wheel controls to stay locked on that particular display; there should be an icon/category just for cruise...I'm pretty sure. There is no beep when it locks onto a vehicle but it will blink a tiny car in front of the 1-3 radar notches to indicate your following another vehicle and disappear when it's not. The RX though could possibly be different than my NX but I assume it's quite similar.
Old 12-14-15, 11:58 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjw972
I own a 2015 NX with all speed DRCC. If you want the TFT display to show the status of the DRCC constantly I believe you have to scroll to the right from your steering wheel controls to stay locked on that particular display; there should be an icon/category just for cruise...I'm pretty sure. There is no beep when it locks onto a vehicle but it will blink a tiny car in front of the 1-3 radar notches to indicate your following another vehicle and disappear when it's not. The RX though could possibly be different than my NX but I assume it's quite similar.
+1 in my RX you can view the status of the Lane Keep and Active Cruise by using the right display controls and hitting right arrow until the view is this:

Note the image is from the GS since I couldn't find one for my RX without taking a picture, but it's very similar looking.