RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Need recommendation for tire cables/chains

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 10:25 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Need recommendation for tire cables/chains

Winter is coming up and I need some Tire Cable/Chain recommendations . I have the 20" OEM rims with tire size: 235/55/20.

I've always had SCC Z-Chains on my prior cars, but i never ended up using the cables since i always ended up buying winter tires. Should i get these or there better options?

http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/...oices/z-chain/
Old 12-08-15, 10:32 PM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Winter is coming up and I need some Tire Cable/Chain recommendations . I have the 20" OEM rims with tire size: 235/55/20.

I've always had SCC Z-Chains on my prior cars, but i never ended up using the cables since i always ended up buying winter tires. Should i get these or there better options?

hmmmm.. Dealer have me signed "Tire Chain Disclosure" agreement when I purchased the RX. "As Equipped, this vehicle may not operated with tire chains, but may accommodate some other type of tractions". I guess the tire warranty voided if have the chain on.
Old 01-01-16, 08:31 AM
VNTR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm..wonder how these oem 20s look
Old 01-07-16, 07:09 PM
Molotov411
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey skiracer did you ever figure out what alternatives we can use for tire chains. I wanna go to Bear this weekend but i need to pickup a set of chains. Anyone know why we have to sign the Tire Chain Disclosure at Lexus and why our vehicle cannot be equipped with tire chains? some one chime in. Thanks
Old 01-07-16, 10:13 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Molotov411
hey skiracer did you ever figure out what alternatives we can use for tire chains. I wanna go to Bear this weekend but i need to pickup a set of chains. Anyone know why we have to sign the Tire Chain Disclosure at Lexus and why our vehicle cannot be equipped with tire chains? some one chime in. Thanks
Page 380-381 says you can use snow chains on the front wheels of the RX. Lexus never made me sign any sort of documents regarding tire chains. I purchased the cables i mentioned above since its the lowest profile cable available without the use of extra tire tensioners which have the potential to scratch rims.
Old 12-24-16, 12:35 PM
garrickm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Chains RX ?

Anyone have thoughts for chains or cables for a 2016 RX F Sport?
Old 12-25-16, 09:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by garrickm
Anyone have thoughts for chains or cables for a 2016 RX F Sport?
Bought SZ435 Super Z-6 for 235/55-20:
http://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-ch...tirechains/674

Haven't tried them on yet but my last set for the old RX worked great (SZ429). You really need two sets for heavy snow though.
Old 01-16-17, 11:43 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Snow chains recommendation for 235/55/20

Planning a trip to the local mountains with our 2016 RX (235/55/20 tires - front wheel drive). Never used chains before and somewhat comprehensive about scratching 20" beautiful wheels. Any recommendations for chains for our wheels? Pros/cons? Anything I should do beforehand?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-17, 04:54 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Page 380-381 says you can use snow chains on the front wheels of the RX. Lexus never made me sign any sort of documents regarding tire chains. I purchased the cables i mentioned above since its the lowest profile cable available without the use of extra tire tensioners which have the potential to scratch rims.
Originally Posted by ericsan13
Bought SZ435 Super Z-6 for 235/55-20:
http://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-ch...tirechains/674

Haven't tried them on yet but my last set for the old RX worked great (SZ429). You really need two sets for heavy snow though.
Hi, I'm considering purchasing the Super Z-6 cables, but was leery of some reviewers' (Amazon site) claims that it damaged their vehicles. I have used similar tire cables in the past, but on different vehicles; not the RX with 20" wheels.

I'd normally chalk it up to user error or something non-RX-related, but just wanted to hear from RX owners, like you. Have you had a chance to use the tire cables you purchased?
Old 11-28-17, 12:06 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by chrisper
Hi, I'm considering purchasing the Super Z-6 cables, but was leery of some reviewers' (Amazon site) claims that it damaged their vehicles. I have used similar tire cables in the past, but on different vehicles; not the RX with 20" wheels.

I'd normally chalk it up to user error or something non-RX-related, but just wanted to hear from RX owners, like you. Have you had a chance to use the tire cables you purchased?
Sorry I have not had a need yet. However the set I used for my 2010 RX350 worked perfectly the few times I used it. I am not concerned. If you are worried, maybe spring for a set of winter tires?
Old 11-28-17, 12:51 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I have not had a need yet. However the set I used for my 2010 RX350 worked perfectly the few times I used it. I am not concerned. If you are worried, maybe spring for a set of winter tires?
Hi, thanks for responding. Winter tires are not an option for me since I head out into snow country maybe 2-3 times a year, at most. (Never snows where I live/work; just maybe the occasional patch of black ice.) Just need tire chains, or similar, for compliance with tire chain requirements on the roads near the local ski resorts.

Although I'd probably get the tire cables, I'm also considering something like the Autosock, which is less likely to damage the vehicle. They may not be as durable, but my usage is light anyway. They're also relatively lightweight and take up less storage space than cables/chains.

Last edited by chrisper; 11-28-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 07:51 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by chrisper
Hi, thanks for responding. Winter tires are not an option for me since I head out into snow country maybe 2-3 times a year, at most. (Never snows where I live/work; just maybe the occasional patch of black ice.) Just need tire chains, or similar, for compliance with tire chain requirements on the roads near the local ski resorts.

Although I'd probably get the tire cables, I'm also considering something like the Autosock, which is less likely to damage the vehicle. They may not be as durable, but my usage is light anyway. They're also relatively lightweight and take up less storage space than cables/chains.
If you head up to the slopes cables are better. Sometimes you are required to carry traction devices and I'm not sure if autosocks qualify. Also if you find yourself in a situation where you need cables, the autosocks will probably do nothing.
Old 11-29-17, 07:46 AM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

If you head up to the slopes cables are better. Sometimes you are required to carry traction devices and I'm not sure if autosocks qualify. Also if you find yourself in a situation where you need cables, the autosocks will probably do nothing.
Per CalTrans site, "Vehicles are permitted in chain control areas when equipped with link-type chains or Alternative Traction Devices (ATD). Examples of ATDs include: cable chains, textile snow chains, wheel hub attached chains, and automatic tire chains....Vehicles with cable chains as well as other less conventional devices are legal in California. However, these may be restricted at times due to local conditions." So it does appear that textile types like Autosocks are allowed, but may be restricted depending on how bad the conditions are. Note that the same restrictions apply to cable chains.

Well, I ended up ordering both cable and textile types. I've never seen the latter before, and want to take a closer look. Too bad I'm nowhere near the stores that have them on hand.

Last edited by chrisper; 11-29-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 05:36 PM
mkchung
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for Snow Chains/Cables

Hi Everyone!

I was hoping someone could recommend some snow chains/cables that won't damage my car rims. I'll be taking my car up to Tahoe for the first time and even though the car is AWD, we legally have to carry chains. I found some online from etrailer but they cost approx. $620 (https://www.etrailer.com/chains-2017...c2-235%7C55~20). Is this the right one I need to get?

EDIT: I read through some of the older messages and I also signed a waiver that says "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the Owner's Manual for details." The manual says to "have the vehicle fitted with four snow-tires or purchase a set of tire chains for the front tires" then provides more details on selecting tire chains. Not really sure what to make of this. I also contacted Lexus and they sell snow cables for $150/set. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mkchung; 02-06-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 05:40 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Id like to know this as well. Also, the best ways to not damage the sweet F sport suspension

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for tire cables/chains