RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New 2016 RX350...Serious problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 01:45 PM
Gwhayduke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2016 RX350...Serious problems

I leased a 2016 RX350 last week. On my first day of driving it the check engine light flashed on, there was an AWD malfunction warning, and power was severely reduced (couldn't go>25mph). I brought it back to the dealer immediately and got a loaner.

It has now been 5 days, vehicle is still at the dealer, they tell me an injector failed, and it will be an additional 2-3 days before it is repaired.

A couple of questions for everyone:
1. Anyone ever heard of anything like this happening?
2. The dealer tells me that it will be repaired and is under warranty (obviously), but I have significant concerns about the safety and reliability of the vehicle. Assuming they do repair it within 15 days, it does not meet the standard of a "lemon" according to my state's lemon laws. I'd prefer to either get a new vehicle or have them take it back and refund me, and just was my hands of it. In my discussions with the dealer thus far, they have said that neither is possible. Any other thoughts/perspectives about how to handle this?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-15, 01:52 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Give them a chance to fix it before really getting too twisted. Sometimes, a single part can fail early on it's life. It happens.

I wouldn't start calling this a 'serious problem'. One instance is not a reflection of the quality of product. They'll take care of you.
Old 12-08-15, 02:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) Although a serious concern, I`d pass it off as a one time issue. Check it once you get it back, and see if the repair resolves the issue. Do document, the issue on the vehicle records with the SA and get a copy for your records. I.E should state in some detail what the problem you came with initially, what they did, and how they resolved it.

2) Besides that, unless the dealer is willing they are not obligated legally to offer you a replacement, simply repair. If the problem persists and falls according to the lemon laws in your state then at that time, something can be done.

Not legal advice, just stating whats other from various forums in similar situations have stated.

TBH, its a Toyota, unless somehow they have employed a sub standard injector (which would fail quite soon for a DI motor), no need to panic. Some who bought BMWs had to replace injectors multiple times without any repair. Lexus will probs make sure this never happens ever again lol Its just their ethos as the leading auto mfg
Old 12-08-15, 02:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm with the others above. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, but I would let them fix it and move on. You may be able to get them to throw in a free service or some other perk for your troubles.
Old 12-08-15, 02:58 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I would ask them to extend the warranty on the engine... I had the manufacturer do this when a transmission failed on my Honduh Accord many years ago.

On a side note, my car at dealer now for what sounds like a "bird chirp" whenever i accelerate from a dead stop or between 2K RPM or 4K RPM. You recall a similar sound by any chance?
Old 12-09-15, 01:31 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

With this being your first and only problem, I would have some patience.

Lexus IS one of the most dependable brands on the road yet they are not perfect.
Old 12-09-15, 05:10 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwhayduke
I leased a 2016 RX350 last week. On my first day of driving it the check engine light flashed on, there was an AWD malfunction warning, and power was severely reduced (couldn't go>25mph). I brought it back to the dealer immediately and got a loaner.

It has now been 5 days, vehicle is still at the dealer, they tell me an injector failed, and it will be an additional 2-3 days before it is repaired.

A couple of questions for everyone:
1. Anyone ever heard of anything like this happening?
2. The dealer tells me that it will be repaired and is under warranty (obviously), but I have significant concerns about the safety and reliability of the vehicle. Assuming they do repair it within 15 days, it does not meet the standard of a "lemon" according to my state's lemon laws. I'd prefer to either get a new vehicle or have them take it back and refund me, and just was my hands of it. In my discussions with the dealer thus far, they have said that neither is possible. Any other thoughts/perspectives about how to handle this?

Thanks!
As others have mentioned I would let the dealer repair the RX and keep it as long as they need to. Don't rush them, let them take their time so they can go over everything.

However, I would contact the GM of the dealer and tell him or her how unhappy you are with having to bring a brand new Lexus back for service, on the same day you took delivery of it. Keep a cool head because you will get further being nice compared to going in with "guns blazing".

I would then ask what type of "goodwill" gesture Lexus will offer you for this situation. See what the GM offers, if he or she asks you what you want, ask for Lexus to make the next payment. Worse thing they can say is no.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you..
Old 12-09-15, 05:38 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car has an issue, these do happen, and the dealer seems confident that they found the issue.

Realize that many times, when something goes astray in the engine, the traction control systems are usually shut off. Its just how the sensors talk to each other. Furthermore, once an engine issue is determined, the car goes into limp mode to protect itself. Nothing that happened is out of the ordinary.

its a mechanical engine, utilizing parts that have an expected failure rate. You just happened to get on the failure end of that average.

Last edited by Swacer; 12-10-15 at 09:34 AM. Reason: To appease a very sensitive group
Old 12-09-15, 06:33 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
I would ask them to extend the warranty on the engine... I had the manufacturer do this when a transmission failed on my Honduh Accord many years ago.

On a side note, my car at dealer now for what sounds like a "bird chirp" whenever i accelerate from a dead stop or between 2K RPM or 4K RPM. You recall a similar sound by any chance?
He's leasing the car. Powertrain coverage is already 6yrs/70k miles.
Old 12-09-15, 04:40 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2012 RX350. Suddenly at a traffic light the engine started running very rough and every warning light came on. I limped home and had the vehicle towed into the dealer. It was a simpler problem than an injector. Each plug has it own coil and one failed. It was replaced and I have not had any problem since. But it was scary in that so many warning came on that I was sure there was something major wrong. It took me a while before I trusted the car again since my wife's RX400H had no problems for years.
Old 12-09-15, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Truth is no matter how reliable Lexus is, at the end of the day it is still a car. These things can happen. Sounds like it's getting taken care of though
Old 12-09-15, 05:49 PM
Gwhayduke
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who replied.
Will be picking up the car tomorrow. Looking forward to (finally) getting the car.

I appreciate the feedback and different perspectives from everyone.
Old 12-09-15, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwhayduke
Thanks to all who replied.
Will be picking up the car tomorrow. Looking forward to (finally) getting the car.

I appreciate the feedback and different perspectives from everyone.

Post pics of your new ride and enjoy it from now on.
Old 12-10-15, 12:07 AM
kenji4861
Rookie

Did the OP make it home or is he stuck on the side of the road somewhere
Old 12-10-15, 01:51 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

That would be a bummer for sure.

Quick Reply: New 2016 RX350...Serious problems