RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 12:08 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ccb777
I have taken two extended test rides in RX and tested LCA which is only on when ACC on on. It does keep you on the center of the lane from speeds 100 down to 0. At speeds less than 25 a cars needs to be seen by the radar in front of you -such as stop and go traffic. You can remove your hands for about 15 sec before it warns you. This is just as good a what Volve claims as traffic assit or something like that. You need your hands on the wheel with them also.
Maybe Volvo can take a sharper turn than the RX but on an interstate highway but I was still inpressed by the LCA. Now if the ACC is off then the LKA does ping pong because it gets to the line and maybe over it before it gives some steering assist. So there are two things LKA and LCA which are different.
What is LCA? Lane change assist? The RX doesn't have that?
Old 02-16-16, 06:54 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It's called lane keep assist and comes with the Lexus System plus.
Also included is pre collision system, pedestrian detection system and dynamic radar cruse control.

...and intelligent high beams.

Last edited by bootman; 02-16-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 10:30 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by bootman
It's called lane keep assist and comes with the Lexus System plus.
Also included is pre collision system, pedestrian detection system and dynamic radar cruse control.

...and intelligent high beams.
Yes I am aware of what LKA is, but ccb777 references LCA and calls them out as different technologies:

"So there are two things LKA and LCA which are different."
Old 02-17-16, 03:52 PM
ccb777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the lane keeping assist is used by itself the RX goes to edge of the line before warning then giving some steering assist. So it ping pong between the lines. When used with adaptive cruise control LKA actually becomes LCA lane centering assist and minimum pig ponging. I have also driven the Tesla for an afternoon and it tries to keep the center lane. But has a very pronounced torque to do that. If you do not agree with the route taken and steer back to where you want it the system cuts off and you have to reset the whole thing.
Old 02-17-16, 05:11 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Yes I am aware of what LKA is, but ccb777 references LCA and calls them out as different technologies:

"So there are two things LKA and LCA which are different."
Marketing acronyms.
Old 02-18-16, 01:03 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by bootman
Marketing acronyms.
If you read ccb777's last posts, you would be much more in the loop about what is actually going on
Old 02-18-16, 01:47 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
If you read ccb777's last posts, you would be much more in the loop about what is actually going on
You are correct sir.
I did go back and stand corrected.
Old 04-21-16, 03:32 PM
Atlx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lka in my rx is not as good as my tlx. When i was driving in a straight highway, it would drift to the left or right and lka will over correct and make me drift the opposite way. Feels like im bouncing within an invisible walls. My tlx keeps me centered in my lanes.
Old 04-21-16, 06:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlx
My lka in my rx is not as good as my tlx. When i was driving in a straight highway, it would drift to the left or right and lka will over correct and make me drift the opposite way. Feels like im bouncing within an invisible walls. My tlx keeps me centered in my lanes.
Yea first gen tech limitations. The MDX I tested would be ok on straight roads, but the **** the bed when taking left handed curves on the left lane.
Old 04-22-16, 10:40 AM
jklangen99
Rookie

I just tried lane keeping assist for the first time on a road trio and it did not work on my 2016 GS350. I checked the manual and then the settings to make sure it is enabled and it is. There is a long list of conditions for it to work correctly and I think all were satisfied although at times, the lane markers were not so bright. I see a few posts that it does not work so well in this thread and some posts that it works pretty well. Checking in to see what else might have prevented it from working for me.
Old 04-22-16, 01:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jklangen99
I just tried lane keeping assist for the first time on a road trio and it did not work on my 2016 GS350. I checked the manual and then the settings to make sure it is enabled and it is. There is a long list of conditions for it to work correctly and I think all were satisfied although at times, the lane markers were not so bright. I see a few posts that it does not work so well in this thread and some posts that it works pretty well. Checking in to see what else might have prevented it from working for me.
This prevents this system from working properly

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-22-16 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 02:20 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

As it uses the lane markers, without them showing up well, how would you expect he system to work.
Old 04-23-16, 05:20 AM
jklangen99
Rookie

Not so helpful. Not sure what 'This prevents the system from working properly' means and 'how would you expect then to work' when in my post I said 'at times the lane markers were not so bright' . Of course it's not going to work then! Should have been more explicit and say however when the lane markers were bright the system still did not work.
Old 04-23-16, 08:08 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Not so helpful. Not sure what 'This prevents the system from working properly' means and 'how would you expect then to work' when in my post I said 'at times the lane markers were not so bright' . Of course it's not going to work then! Should have been more explicit and say however when the lane markers were bright the system still did not work.
At what point are the markers not showing up enough to be used. This will always be a variable until the highway people get all the roads repainted. I find that most expressways it picks up fine and one day that will actually be useful when Lexus works on the system more.
Old 04-23-16, 08:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Did you test the system before buying it? Active safety tech is at the end tech, aka try it before you buy it. Hence why extended test drives are a must. The best a forum can say is, in our particular case it works or it doesnt. If your still finding it difficult it engage the system properly, I`d say ask if your dealership has a tech expert and go on a test drive with them with your vehicle to showcase the system.

Quick Reply: Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)