RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 09:34 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Does the active cruise control need to be on for the pre-collision system to work?
no, they are separate systems
Old 12-08-15, 10:26 PM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the active cruise control need to be on for the pre-collision system to work?
No, pre-collision system works independently. PCS is automatically activated when the engine starts. You can deactivate PCS manually, but I believe it will come back on after each engine restart.
Old 12-09-15, 04:07 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

$635 for Safety+ is a DEAL!

My sticker show $2250 for the Safety+ and triple beam LEDs all on the same line
Old 12-09-15, 08:41 AM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXOwner
$635 for Safety+ is a DEAL!

My sticker show $2250 for the Safety+ and triple beam LEDs all on the same line
Lexus safety+ is the must have option for me. So, I did some research on it. At least in the So Cal area, most of the Non-Fsport configuration has the Lexus safety+ as an option in the AWD w/Premium Pkg (MSRP $53k+) for $635 like the one I bought or in luxury package (MSRP $59k+) with triple beam for $2250
Old 12-09-15, 09:24 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oliver9
Lexus safety+ is the must have option for me. So, I did some research on it. At least in the So Cal area, most of the Non-Fsport configuration has the Lexus safety+ as an option in the AWD w/Premium Pkg (MSRP $53k+) for $635 like the one I bought or in luxury package (MSRP $59k+) with triple beam for $2250
I consider it a must option for me, too! If it save you from just one accident. . . . . .
Old 12-11-15, 05:57 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Be aware the brake intervention threshold is pretty high, you get pretty close before it gets involved.
When it decides you are asleep at the wheel it hits the hooks hard and fast.

Having said that, if you do ANYTHING...tap the brake lightly, veer away slightly, touch the gas...the
system assumes you are in control and then does NOTHING. You must really get busy and hit the
brakes very hard or steer completely around the obstacle.
Old 12-11-15, 08:42 PM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Be aware the brake intervention threshold is pretty high, you get pretty close before it gets involved.
When it decides you are asleep at the wheel it hits the hooks hard and fast.

Having said that, if you do ANYTHING...tap the brake lightly, veer away slightly, touch the gas...the
system assumes you are in control and then does NOTHING. You must really get busy and hit the
brakes very hard or steer completely around the obstacle.
hmmmm.. I was under the impression that the Pre-Collision Braking system automatically applied regardless if the driver tap the brake or not. I really wish we can test this with Lexus corporate test cars.

Page 271 Owner's manual

Pre-Collision Brake Assist:
When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system applies greater braking force in relation to how strongly the brake pedal is depressed.

Pre-Collision Braking:
When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system warns the driver. If the system determines that the possibility of a collision is extremely high, the brakes are automatically applied to help avoid the collision or reduce the collision speed.
Old 12-12-15, 03:22 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

hmmmm.. I was under the impression that the Pre-Collision Braking system automatically applied regardless if the driver tap the brake or not. I really wish we can test this with Lexus corporate test cars.

Page 271 Owner's manual

Pre-Collision Brake Assist:
When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system applies greater braking force in relation to how strongly the brake pedal is depressed.

Pre-Collision Braking:
When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system warns the driver. If the system determines that the possibility of a collision is extremely high, the brakes are automatically applied to help avoid the collision or reduce the collision speed.
Even a reduced speed collision is better although none is a bonus. So far I have had the red "STOP" light and buzzer sound but no auto braking yet
Old 01-05-16, 11:39 AM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Default LKA with Lane Centering On

So I turned on Cruise Control, LKA and Lane-Centering. The safety system works perfectly fine on a straight highway lanes, however, it is off-center when entering a curve, it hit the lane markers and came very close to the cars on the next lane. Has anyone tried this before?
Old 01-05-16, 11:46 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So I turned on Cruise Control, LKA and Lane-Centering. The safety system works perfectly fine on a straight highway lanes, however, it is off-center when entering a curve, it hit the lane markers and came very close to the cars on the next lane. Has anyone tried this before?
Yes. Yesterday I was trying this and the car is too close to the line and a car in that lane which was trying to pass honk at me.
Old 01-05-16, 02:00 PM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jackgong
Yes. Yesterday I was trying this and the car is too close to the line and a car in that lane which was trying to pass honk at me.
I hope Lexus improve accuracy and provide OTA updates. Its possible, Tesla did it.
Old 01-05-16, 05:57 PM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like we are getting ever closer to just entering in a destination to the navigation system, then having the car take us there while we sit back and read a book.
Old 01-05-16, 06:18 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Centering overall is kinda weak… Not even curves. The car sometimes tends to "oscillate" left and right on straight roads as well. Not too bad, but could become pretty annoying :/ Sometimes it even drifts off the lane on straight roads for no reason at all, just because this "oscillation" becomes too big… Duh! You had one job, LKA!

Still, love having this feature and it's extremely helpful during long rides. Just wish it was smarter…
Old 01-05-16, 07:58 PM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This may be by design. The owner's manual says it will only function around a "gentle" curve.

Lane centering function
This function operates when all of the following conditions are met.
• LKA is turned on.
• Setting for “Lane Center” in of the multi-information display are set to “On”.(P. 96)
• System recognizes white (yellow) lines.
• Dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range is operating.
• Width of traffic lane is approximately 8.2 to 13.5 ft. (2.5 to 4.1 m).
• Turn signal lever is not operated.
• Vehicle is driven on a straight road or around a gentle curve with a radius of more than approximately 656 ft. (200 m).
• No system malfunctions are detected. (P. 634)
• Vehicle does not accelerate or decelerate by a fixed amount or more.
• Steering wheel is not operated with a steering force level suitable for changing lanes.
• ABS, VSC, TRAC and PCS are not operating.
• TRAC or VSC is not turned off.
• Steering assist function is not operating.
Old 01-06-16, 09:15 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. PCS is on, unless you go to settings and turn it off; it doesn't require cruise control to be on.

I saw it come on once when I came too close to another car (I guess) -- it said in big letters, "BREAK!" in the HUD I was not close enough for it to break for me.

Also worth mentioning, LKA is one of the best implementations of "stay in your lane" technology in any car. It's easy to turn off if it annoys you (either in the settings, or with the button on the steering wheel), but the sensitivity can be controlled by the driver and where the notification occurs can be user set too -- HUD, vibrating wheel and console... you can disable the HUD and the vibrating steering wheel.

Last edited by Talys1767; 01-06-16 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)