RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX with Rear Seat Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 08:32 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 2016 RX with Rear Seat Entertainment

Has anyone seen one in the wild? Looks like the screens they're using for this generation are very nice. $2K option, but with a small child, it is a nice feature.

It's also a feature that is like seeing a unicorn. Not sure I understand why Lexus doesn't offer this feature on more of their vehicles.
Old 11-30-15, 08:45 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Had this in my last vehicle and it was never used and saved that $2k
Old 11-30-15, 08:54 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got to see one in the wild. They are using the same screens that are in the LX which are HUGE! and sit about 12 inches from your face. As far as I can tell from the several build's I've seen this is a standalone option and isn't included in any packages. I'm honestly surprised I even saw one at all!
Old 11-30-15, 08:57 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Trust me, I know. We had to special order the 3RX that we have to get RSES.

Oh well, I'm not paying MSRP for this vehicle, so we'll probably wait until MY2017 comes out.
Old 11-30-15, 09:21 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with today's tablets and phones, save your money
Old 11-30-15, 10:02 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Just get a couple iPad Pro and a mount for each seat. Much more functional than rear seat entertainment systems. Since most things are streamed, through apps, and moving away from discs, tablets would be better than an outdated system that can only be used in the car.

Last edited by dchar; 11-30-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 11:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Just get a couple iPad Pro and a mount for each seat. Much more functional than rear seat entertainment systems. Since most things are streamed, through apps, and moving away from discs, tablets would be better than an outdated system that can only be used in the car.

+1 on this.
we have a rear entertainment system before.
we got tired of buying DVDs and decided to simply use the ipad, and stream Disney junior for our 2 yr old.
Old 11-30-15, 12:19 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

So if the screens that Lexus provides could stream from a device...would that make it worth it? Is that even possible?

Looks like from their website, you can probably connect an Apple TV, but where would the internet come from? $40/month for MIFI hotspot or something, right?

(we both have grandfathered unlimited data plans with AT&T. Our iphones are not jailbroken, nor will they ever be....so no tethering)
Old 11-30-15, 12:36 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So if the screens that Lexus provides could stream from a device...would that make it worth it? Is that even possible?

Looks like from their website, you can probably connect an Apple TV, but where would the internet come from? $40/month for MIFI hotspot or something, right?

(we both have grandfathered unlimited data plans with AT&T. Our iphones are not jailbroken, nor will they ever be....so no tethering)
Couldn't you use Personal Hotspot in Settings in iOS?
Old 11-30-15, 02:10 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I use a cellular iPad as I found tethering rather "hungry" on my iPhone battery.

Last edited by RXOwner; 12-14-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 03:40 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put movies on a micro SD card and play them through my ipad air with an SD to lighting adapter. I have about 16 movies loaded on it at a time so I'm covered for long trips with my son.
Old 12-12-15, 01:35 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's my setup for rear entertainment. 7" Samsung Tablet loaded with bunch of downloaded Youtube videos. This mount "barely" fits since the seats in my new RX is much thicker than the BMW X3 I previously had. yes its adjustable, but all the mount adjustments are max'd out and the tablet will point slightly upwards. Good idea to put a thin cloth between the mount and seat so it doesn't scratch the seat. If you have a tablet larger than the 7" one i got, i don't recommend this mount since the Lexus seat is too thick to accomodate a larger tablet.

Bought from here if anyone cares:

Amazon.com: iPad Headrest Mount, Gear Beast Universal Headrest Tablet Mount Holder for 7 to 10.2 inch Tablets including Apple iPad Pro, iPad 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Galaxy Tab/Tab S/Note Pro, Nabi, Nexus: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: iPad Headrest Mount, Gear Beast Universal Headrest Tablet Mount Holder for 7 to 10.2 inch Tablets including Apple iPad Pro, iPad 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Galaxy Tab/Tab S/Note Pro, Nabi, Nexus: Computers & Accessories

Last edited by skiracer; 12-14-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 08:30 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

How are you charging it? That's the dilemma. Yes, I agree that tablets are likely a better solution, in terms of storing much more videos and not having to deal with DVDs. Problem is, that looks terrible (no offense). Is there a rear seat car adapter charging plug? Lord knows my GX doesn't have one. (which is completely ridiculous)

Add to that, I don't take the tablet out of my vehicle at all. If it gets stolen....oh well. Which is another reason I laughed at everyone recommending 2 (two) iPad Pros. Yeah that would look sweet, but guarantee they're stolen in less than a week.

Still haven't seen a 4RX with the RSES. Unicorns.

Also, tablet batteries fail in the summer time, after they have heated up to 150 degrees all day.
Old 12-14-15, 09:15 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

How are you charging it? That's the dilemma. Yes, I agree that tablets are likely a better solution, in terms of storing much more videos and not having to deal with DVDs. Problem is, that looks terrible (no offense). Is there a rear seat car adapter charging plug? Lord knows my GX doesn't have one. (which is completely ridiculous)

Add to that, I don't take the tablet out of my vehicle at all. If it gets stolen....oh well. Which is another reason I laughed at everyone recommending 2 (two) iPad Pros. Yeah that would look sweet, but guarantee they're stolen in less than a week.

Also, tablet batteries fail in the summer time, after they have heated up to 150 degrees all day.
I don't keep the tablets in the car since they're used at home. I think the longest i've watched a video was 2-3 hours so far and the battery only went down to 70%
Old 12-14-15, 09:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Why would you need the tablets to be constantly mounted in the car? There are other uses for a tablet besides watching things from the backseat of a car. Is it really that hard to snap them into place when in use and storing them when not? It would literally take less than a minute. In regards to battery life, tablets can go for hours, and you can plug them into the 12V outlet if they need more juice. How often are the rear seat passengers watching something for several hours. Not to mention, if you have to move large items (I.e., luggage, unfoldable patio chairs, tables, etc.) in the RX and fold down the rear seats, then you have to worry about those large items slamming into your RSES screens that aren't removable when braking.

But if you think ancient tech (RSES probably doesn't even play Blu-Ray, no internet connectivity, no HDMI just AV input jacks, and probably isn't HD screen) is better than a tablet (that can go online, has games, and other better features) with somewhat decent looking mount, then ok...but I'm pretty sure kids (adults too) would rather have the additional features and portability of a tablet over the useless and expensive RSES. If the RSES was less than $1K, I could see and understand a bit if people got it, but at $2K...nope.

Last edited by dchar; 12-14-15 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX with Rear Seat Entertainment