RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 07:13 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?

What type of gas is suggested for the 2016 RX? I could not find an answer on the Lexus site and sorry if this has been discussed before in the Forum but I failed to come up with an answer when I used "premium" and then "gasoline" as search words. I do remember seeing somewhere that someone mentioned that the hybrid requires premium fuel which I hope is wrong since premium here in NJ is priced nearly 40% higher than regular (around $2.80 vs $2.00/gal)..
Old 11-25-15, 07:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The RX350 uses regular:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download

The RX450h uses premium:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download
Old 11-25-15, 08:30 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

You can use regular in both. The premium us what they used in the hybrid to up the mileage and horsepower.

Regular will work fine.
Old 11-25-15, 08:38 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Few new 2016 model can be using Regular now, if your car required Premium I will suggest you stick with Premium; it won't hurt you if you put Regular in occasionally, but it will do damage and cost you more to repair if you keep using Regular when it require Premium
Old 11-25-15, 08:43 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ybing
Few new 2016 model can be using Regular now, if your car required Premium I will suggest you stick with Premium; it won't hurt you if you put Regular in occasionally, but it will do damage and cost you more to repair if you keep using Regular when it require Premium
Sorry but it will not hurt your RX to run regular instead of premium. That is simply not true.
Old 11-25-15, 08:44 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
You can use regular in both. The premium us what they used in the hybrid to up the mileage and horsepower.

Regular will work fine.
True, however if we can afford vehicles that are $50-65k, we can afford good gas.
Old 11-25-15, 08:45 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bearcat
True, however if we can afford vehicles that are $50-65k, we can afford good gas.
Regular is still good gas if you buy from the major gas companies.

Using premium will only net a few extra ponies and is a waste of money but as a Lexus driver you can do as you wish but it will NOT harm the engine.
Old 11-25-15, 09:14 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Sorry but it will not hurt your RX to run regular instead of premium. That is simply not true.
My experience is I saw an owner use Regular on older model, don't think is RX, but it was long time ago when I work at Lexus, all cars require Premium until this year, and that car need a serious work in the engine because of continue used of Regular for a long time...

I'm not a mechanic... so I can't tell you more details or technical explanation LOL it is just base on my experience Maybe that owner use really cheap brand gas

But Premium should give the car a bit more power right?
Old 11-25-15, 09:35 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

During release announcement Lexus made a statement that new 2016 RX runs or regular gas.
Old 11-25-15, 10:01 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

My experience is I saw an owner use Regular on older model, don't think is RX, but it was long time ago when I work at Lexus, all cars require Premium until this year, and that car need a serious work in the engine because of continue used of Regular for a long time...

I'm not a mechanic... so I can't tell you more details or technical explanation LOL it is just base on my experience Maybe that owner use really cheap brand gas

But Premium should give the car a bit more power right?
Yes, using Premium in a vehicle made for Premium will increase the horsepower slightly and yield slightly better gas mileage. Might have been worth it when there was only a ten cent difference between the three grades but today the cost of Premium is way higher.

I an old vehicle that had higher compression if you did not use premium you would get pre-detonation or knock the will indeed do harm over a long period. Today's vehicles have less compression and their computers will adjust ignition timing and even valve timing in some motors to correct for knock.

Many who drive Lexus can afford what ever gas you want to use, I just want to point out that you have a choice.

Happy Thanksgiving and have a safe one!
Old 11-25-15, 10:19 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Yes, using Premium in a vehicle made for Premium will increase the horsepower slightly and yield slightly better gas mileage. Might have been worth it when there was only a ten cent difference between the three grades but today the cost of Premium is way higher.

I an old vehicle that had higher compression if you did not use premium you would get pre-detonation or knock the will indeed do harm over a long period. Today's vehicles have less compression and their computers will adjust ignition timing and even valve timing in some motors to correct for knock.

Many who drive Lexus can afford what ever gas you want to use, I just want to point out that you have a choice.

Maybe that was an older engine for sure something older than 06'

I'm sticking with V-power haha
Old 11-25-15, 10:20 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Maybe that was an older engine for sure something older than 06'

I'm sticking with V-power haha
Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your Holiday!
Old 11-25-15, 10:36 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your Holiday!
Unfortunately is happy working
Old 11-25-15, 10:40 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Unfortunately is happy working
I am sorry.
Old 11-25-15, 11:25 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

The Lexus-quoted compresion ratio for the RX-350 and the hybrid is 11.8:1 and 13:1, respectively. Even 11.8 sounds pretty high.

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?