RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New RX350 Purchase Add-Ons Windshield Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 04:21 PM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New RX350 Purchase Add-Ons Windshield Treatment

Just in the process of finishing a deal on a 2016 RX350 F-Sport... Yay!!!

Looking to see if anyone has had the Diamon-Fusion Windshield Protection Program done and what your thoughts are on it. I declined it on my last Lexus because I thought it was a scam but ended up replacing 2 windshields in 2 years at a hit of over $1600.00 a piece so this time I'm taking a closer look at it. I drive a lot of highway and live in an area where rock chips and cracks are inevitable and the claim is that this will increase the strength of the windshield by 10X. Additionally, if you happen to get a chip they'll repair it for free and if that fails and it splits into a crack they will replace the windshield up to five times within five years.... It sounds so good thats its sketchy but maybe I've just become too skeptical.

Would love some feedback, thank you
Old 11-24-15, 05:04 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Great question. My parents got it on their 15 RX and my Dad swears buy it. However if you go online it's hard to find any favorable reviews. I'm torn too.
Old 11-24-15, 06:09 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a very high profit item for the stealer.How could anyone who can afford a Lexus believe it makes a windshield 10X stronger? In Florida replacing a Lexus windshield is free with your car insurance anyways- insurance companies cover windshield repair at 100% coverage with no deductible
Old 11-24-15, 06:18 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i just looked up the Diamon-Fusion program, it appears to be a longer lasting Rain-X type treatment. It doesn't make your windsheild stronger..just more repellant. I'd check with your insurance company for better glass coverage.

Old 11-25-15, 01:22 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The Lexus "financial closer" make good money on these add ins like wheel insurance and extended warranties. I am not a big believer in these but for some the extended warranty can be a good deal.
Old 11-25-15, 05:22 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't bother with it personally. Its a scheme of some sort as you can not add a coating to make glass stronger. That's almost humorous to an extent. That's the reason I keep my Comprehensive insurance deductible at $0, so if the windshield is damaged, its free to fix/replace.
Old 11-25-15, 07:21 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

There is some truth to it in a way though. I bought an iPhone glass protectant for $30 that was a wipe on, let dry, then buff. They did it in front of me at Staples on an iPad before I bought it and couldn't scratch it with my keys at all.
Old 11-25-15, 07:36 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearcat
There is some truth to it in a way though. I bought an iPhone glass protectant for $30 that was a wipe on, let dry, then buff. They did it in front of me at Staples on an iPad before I bought it and couldn't scratch it with my keys at all.
IMO, that was a scam too. Ipads and Iphones use Gorilla Glass by Corning, currently the most scratch resistant glass on the market and has improved over the years compared to earlier versions of the glass found on earlier models. Currently its on revision 4.
Old 11-25-15, 08:59 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just applied Diamon-fusion to my windows. I haven't gotten a chance to drive in the rain yet to really test it. it appears it's great for shower doors for hard water stains. i can't really tell if it works better than rain x or the latter. It seems more of a sealer than a repellent. I did notice that right after applying it, the windshield was super clear where it looked like it wasn't even there. I just got some nanoskin rain plus
http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-rai...s-coating.html
and will try this on all my vehicles soon. this stuff is supposedly to last 18 months. But it appears as a one time application since once you mix it, it's only good for 24 hours. and it is pretty expensive for just one application.

edit**
I didn't purchase this so called protection plan but i did purchase this sealer and applied it my self for about $100.

Last edited by joe311; 11-25-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 11:32 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't waste your money.
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...ter-Protection

Lexus has water repellency built into their windshield via a permanent titanium-silica coating. A coating will likely not protect your windshield from chips unless you applied a plastic skin on top of your windshield (good luck with that).

Also iPhone coatings are a scam too. Scratch resistance is already improved with gorilla glass or other similar apple technology.
Old 11-25-15, 04:07 PM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultra63
How could anyone who can afford a Lexus believe it makes a windshield 10X stronger? In Florida replacing a Lexus windshield is free with your car insurance anyways- insurance companies cover windshield repair at 100% coverage with no deductible
Attempting to insult people's intelligence with a statement that comes across as unintelligent seems a little counterintuitive. An individual's ability to afford a luxury vehicle is in no way reflective of their level of intelligence either at a higher or lower degree. But please give me an opportunity to try to restore your faith in Lexus owners by rephrasing what I was asking:

"THEIR" claim is that a windshield that receives the coating is 10X more resistant to damage (This is stated right on the Diamon-Fusion's website). This is their claim not mine and I'm guessing there is data on boths sides of the fence as to how much truth there is in that statement. My apologies for phrasing it that the windshield itself becomes stronger as opposed to how the brochure lists it as. I was in a hurry with the original post and assumed people would get the idea of what I was trying to say.

There is room for great debate over the effectiveness of the product as to whether or not it will reduce the number of chips and cracks. I honestly am not interested in the repellency or glare reduction. It was more the program of 5 windshields in 5 years that intrigued me. What the dealer is charging for the Diamon Fusion program is essentially the cost of one new windshield. There has to be a gimmick in there somewhere that would either void the warranty making it it impossible to ever claim a new windshield or.... "Heaven Forbid"... the product would actually work to the extent that would never require a full windshield replacement. This was why I was asking if anyone has ever tried it.

As far as insurance goes, we are not lucky enough to live in a climate that grants us smooth and relatively clean roads. We endure 6-7 months of snow so all the various products used to keep us on the road also spits up at our vehicles scratching and chipping the heck out of the paint and windshields. As such, Insurance on glass is expensive and is an add on that comes with a deductible. In comparison to the Diamon-Fusion, the cost of added insurance vs the application is very similar so the decision will come down to which of the two options is most easily utilized when the time comes for an actual windshield replacement.

I do appreciate everyone that has chimed in though, and am still interested in finding out from those of you that have it how it turns out. Thank you...
Old 11-25-15, 06:05 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Off topic..but how much of the $1600 per windshield was labor? Online unit prices for 2015 RX350 windshields quote for avg $750 .