RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 2016 Front Grille.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 04:56 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 2016 Front Grille.....

Is this a love it or hate thing? Because that is strictly hideous in my eyes.

A few friends all have said the same thing. Lexus did this to make a change and stand out. What do you all think?
Old 11-16-15, 05:17 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

That's funny...because my friends and I like the new design. It was a change for the better.
Old 11-16-15, 06:06 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Your either in the Hate it camp or Love it camp. I am in the Love it camp and so is my family and friends. It depends on your age group and demographic. Most of the people I know that love it are under 35 years old. Then there are a few people I know who hate it are older than 50.

Apparently they are selling like hot cakes in my area because my dealer called me two weeks ago to let me know they recieved "4" 2016 RXs "1" being fsport. By the time I got to it and visited that dealer all have been sold within that week! Now I have to wait another couple weeks before they get there next batch. So I went ahead and preorder mine and will take a test drive of one in the lot before I take delivery of mines 3 months later.

They are selling the New RX faster than the RCF ever did. There are still plenty of RC350s and RCFs at my dealer and ZERO RXs.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 11-16-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 07:38 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

I think the age thing is correct. It will appeal more to younger people. I'm 34 and I don't like it one bit. But I could see people my age liking it more.

The analog clock should really go though.

I'm seriously considering selling my RX 350 and leasing a Porsche Cayenne. Has anybody ever had one? Thoughts? Much more pricey than the RX?
Old 11-16-15, 07:44 PM
evanron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blairh
Porsche Cayenne
Look into the service costs. I heard... $$$$$$$$$.
Old 11-16-15, 08:18 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Your either in the Hate it camp or Love it camp. I am in the Love it camp and so is my family and friends. It depends on your age group and demographic. Most of the people I know that love it are under 35 years old. Then there are a few people I know who hate it are older than 50.

Apparently they are selling like hot cakes in my area because my dealer called me two weeks ago to let me know they recieved "4" 2016 RXs "1" being fsport. By the time I got to it and visited that dealer all have been sold within that week! Now I have to wait another couple weeks before they get there next batch. So I went ahead and preorder mine and will take a test drive of one in the lot before I take delivery of mines 3 months later.

They are selling the New RX faster than the RCF ever did. There are still plenty of RC350s and RCFs at my dealer and ZERO RXs.
Guess I'm a weird o. I'm well past 50 and I fell madly in love with it. So much so I'm begging my hubby to let me trade in my 2015.
Old 11-16-15, 08:56 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the age thing is correct. It will appeal more to younger people. I'm 34 and I don't like it one bit. But I could see people my age liking it more.

I'm seriously considering selling my RX 350 and leasing a Porsche Cayenne. Has anybody ever had one? Thoughts? Much more pricey than the RX?
I think the analog clock should stay. Gives the cabin a more classy look rather than the digital ones from previous gen RX. There's a reason why more luxurious cars like Bentley and Rolls Royce have analog clocks and why luxury watch companies aren't jumping onto the smart watch wagon. The comeback trend of analog clocks in mainstream luxury cars is here to stay.

It costs much more to get into a Cheyenne and Porsche cabin tech and safety tech kinda suck. The maintanence cost is insane...my friend has a Macan and his 20K mile service was $850.

Last edited by dchar; 11-16-15 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 04:59 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I owned a 2014 Cayenne and never had so many problems. Warning lights and messages telling you what is wrong and the dealer could not find it. Seemed like every week there was a new problem. Trading it in was a happy day for me.
Old 11-17-15, 05:13 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the look of the cayenne but reliability like a lot of other vehicles is horrible. I have friends that have them but told me only reason they have them is because they have multiple cars to drive. Can't depend not hem.
Old 11-17-15, 05:33 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm in the "neutral" camp, I certainly don't love the grille, but I also don't hate it. I need to see it in person to really know how I feel about it. And even if I am not 100% sold on its looks I doubt it would prevent me from buying one.

I have approx 18 months before I will be RX shopping again so I have some time for it to grow on me.
Old 11-17-15, 05:46 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I'm in the "neutral" camp, I certainly don't love the grille, but I also don't hate it. I need to see it in person to really know how I feel about it. And even if I am not 100% sold on its looks I doubt it would prevent me from buying one.

I have approx 18 months before I will be RX shopping again so I have some time for it to grow on me.
I feel the same...I'm in my mid 50's, and I neither love or hate the grill. If you look at other cars these days, there are many that have very massive fronts. Some Fords, Mazda, Chrysler 300, Ram trucks, and even Highlander...they are out there LOL I look for more to follow Lexus too as they become even more popular. I think the Lexus grill look is here to stay, and I love Lexus, so I'm here to stay with them I would not let a grill keep me from buying such a reliable auto as Lexus is, along with the luxury they offer.
Old 11-17-15, 06:03 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Audi started this whole big grill thing a few years ago....kudos to them.
Old 11-17-15, 06:16 AM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I feel the same...I'm in my mid 50's, and I neither love or hate the grill. If you look at other cars these days, there are many that have very massive fronts. Some Fords, Mazda, Chrysler 300, Ram trucks, and even Highlander...they are out there LOL I look for more to follow Lexus too as they become even more popular. I think the Lexus grill look is here to stay, and I love Lexus, so I'm here to stay with them I would not let a grill keep me from buying such a reliable auto as Lexus is, along with the luxury they offer.
Why would the grille look stay for many years? It's obviously an aesthetic choice. Eventually they will return to a smaller grille.

And when they do people will say 'I much prefer this smaller grille'. It's like fashion. Things come and go.
Old 11-17-15, 06:19 AM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar

I think the analog clock should stay. Gives the cabin a more classy look rather than the digital ones from previous gen RX. There's a reason why more luxurious cars like Bentley and Rolls Royce have analog clocks and why luxury watch companies aren't jumping onto the smart watch wagon. The comeback trend of analog clocks in mainstream luxury cars is here to stay.

It costs much more to get into a Cheyenne and Porsche cabin tech and safety tech kinda suck. The maintanence cost is insane...my friend has a Macan and his 20K mile service was $850.
I think it's a clash of new tech against old. It's odd to try to make the exterior look so futuristic and revert back to the past inside. I think it's a huge eyesore.

I actually think I like the Macan more. Wow that is pricey.

The Macan navigation/entertainment system seems pretty bland.
Old 11-17-15, 06:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Why would the grille look stay for many years? It's obviously an aesthetic choice. Eventually they will return to a smaller grille.

And when they do people will say 'I much prefer this smaller grille'. It's like fashion. Things come and go.
I agree, this big spindle grill will morph into something similar but different over the model years. It's a styling element which means it will change sooner than later as the model needs refreshing..

Quick Reply: RX 2016 Front Grille.....